JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've got it in my head that I want to put a survival 10/22 together. In the end, I want it light, accurate, durable, and under $500.

I plan to buy a $200 carbine and put a Houge stock on it, since they have great grip in the wet. I want to put a decent 1-4 power scope on it because a .22 isn't to useful over the distance that 4 power is ok for. I'm considering a fluted bull barrel, but I don't know if I want to loose my sight and gain the weight, advise?

My questions are, should I go with the heavy barrel? Are there any good sights that don't cost a ton, and won't interfere with a scope? And what internal parts should I change?

<broken link removed>

Gives you ghost ring iron sights with a rail that you can put see through mounts on and use a scope with it as well.

08f06562044a495a25844d4a10a9c040.jpg

e6c4409a60ad0c4426b0124750c9500e_9j6x.jpg

a1f8736466a66b1e662b1ce13986f5ff.jpg

Even comes with a muzzle break... just for fun.

08f06562044a495a25844d4a10a9c040.jpg

e6c4409a60ad0c4426b0124750c9500e_9j6x.jpg

a1f8736466a66b1e662b1ce13986f5ff.jpg

Look for a 10/22 I-tac (google it). Its a factory rifle, spruced up by Talo. It may be a Davidson's exclusive.
Stock 10/22 action and barrel, with a nice folding, collapsible stock, and rail for a scope or red dot. About $330 or so. Even comes with a Ruger BX-25 magazine.
Then add a Primary Arms $100 scope, and you will be set (ask me how I know).
It really is a sweet combo.

Look for a 10/22 I-tac (google it). Its a factory rifle, spruced up by Talo. It may be a Davidson's exclusive.
Stock 10/22 action and barrel, with a nice folding, collapsible stock, and rail for a scope or red dot. About $330 or so. Even comes with a Ruger BX-25 magazine.
Then add a Primary Arms $100 scope, and you will be set (ask me how I know).
It really is a sweet combo.

Happen to have a weight? I can't find it listed anywhere

It is a nice idea to build a survival rifle around a 22lr -- light weight, compact, ammo is cheap and light. My buddy and I often state that our 22s are perhaps our most valuable rifle if the SHTF. However, I say forget the 10/22 and get a good bolt action 22 (like a CZ) and mount a 4x on it, add a sling.

Cheers,
DJM

I have iron sights on my Remington 700 because... what if you drop your rifle. Yank the scope off and your still in business.
I agree also with a bolt gun for .22, less moving parts and more accuracy.

Get the new 'take down' model and leave it alone. Maybe add a rear peep sight. KISS!

I had been milling around for a survival gun for a while. I wanted a Henry Arms AR-7 to throw in a Bug Out Bag but they're expensive and not all that well made. My suggestion? I went out and bought a ruger 10/22 and a butler creek side folding stock so that the gun fit in the bag better. That's my suggestion, just keep it as simple as possible.

Heck for survival I think even a pellet gun is a great choice....how much are BBs/Pellets in comparison to regular ammo costs? What about sound? This is just an FYI. If you want to live off birds and squirrels I'd go pellet gun....22s are great but if you don't want a take down gun but you want something cheap that you can shoot game to survive with I would suggest a little pump pellet gun. When I would run out of pellets and BBs I remember putting plastic beads down the barrel and shot the gun like a muzzle loader.

I bought a very nice 10 22 with the heavy barrel and a Fluger? adjustable stock.
Great shooter with the regular velocity Blazer ammo.
My friend had a gun made for himself and sold me his standard 10 22 with a standard barrel and a folding stock.I put a different scope on it.

It is as accurate as the "high end" 10 22 that Ruger puts out
I was thinking of a better barrel,but every time I shoot it,it is too accurate to mess with.

I'm not a fan of 10/22s.
For $500 I would buy 5 Glenfield/Marlin Model 60s and 5000 rounds of ammo.
The Glenfields can be found for about $70ea used(I paid as low as $20 for one)
I think they are better guns, and are reasonablly easy to work on.
They don't take banana clipz, and don't look as cool though.

But to answer your actual question,
I would buy a used 10/22 from the 70s or 80s and put a Tac-Sol threaded barrel on it. I would use the Hogue stock, and leave the internals alone. Maybe buy some emergency spares from Brownell's(firing pin, extractor, pins, springs)
You could skip the stock and Tac-Sol barrel, and just get the factory barrel threaded also.
You will need a silencer for it of course.....:s0155:

I don't know enough about optics to be much help in that department....

It's a 10/22... no matter how much you dress it up, it's still just a 10/22... a fixed 3x Simmons for $35 at the next swap meet will do you just as well as an NXS.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top