JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
as far as jafo's comment goes no not infiltraitor had a friend who bought a gun and got a murder pined on him because he had it.the basis of it was possen is nine tenths of the law.nice to see u jump to conclusions when someone is just trying to help another person.:huh:

I'm going to have to call BS on that. Can you post a link to the court case? There is no need to try and cause fear with false statements. The anti-gunners make up enough of their own stories. There is no need for that in this community.

look man im not here to fight people post things to get other peoples input.if youre all about argueing ann bickering theres a site that has tons of people just like you its called the highroad .org go there and have fun:s0155:

look man im not here to fight people post things to get other peoples input.if youre all about argueing ann bickering theres a site that has tons of people just like you its called the highroad .org go there and have fun:s0155:

So no link? Making false statements and then not backing it up isn't really helping anyone. The OP asked how to find out if a gun was stolen and that has been answered many times. You offered up irrelevent info then went on to claim someone was pinned with murder because they had a gun that was used in it. This is a discussion forum so let's discuss this claim you made. If you provide the link to prove it I will apologize. I'm very interested to see how this gun was tied to your friend and the murder. I don't think it ever happened.

no clue how to post a link to a court file not even sure if you can.i said it was pinned on him i never said he went down for it.he turned over the guy he bought it from long story short he went thru a year of headaches over it.i live in ill just watch the news we have crooked law enforcement,polliticians,judges,so on and so forth,my state sucks.so there ya go now leave me alone retard:s0155:

no clue how to post a link to a court file not even sure if you can.i said it was pinned on him i never said he went down for it.he turned over the guy he bought it from long story short he went thru a year of headaches over it.i live in ill just watch the news we have crooked law enforcement,polliticians,judges,so on and so forth,my state sucks.so there ya go now leave me alone retard:s0155:

Yes, I didn't think you would provide any information on this supposed case. Feel free to PM the name of the person accused of murder so I can look it up myself, if in fact it exists.

R e t a r d? Very classy. Perhaps your problem at THR wasn't with the people at THR.

As far as I can recall, its illegal to receive stolen property.
Whether you know its stolen or not.
In other words, buyer beware.
If you buy a gun from someone you dont know or have references to, you are asking for trouble.
If you buy from a reputable source, you shouldnt have to worry if its stolen or not.

If you buy a gun from someone you dont know or have references to, you are asking for trouble.
If you buy from a reputable source, you shouldnt have to worry if its stolen or not.

Or a stereo, TV, garage sale items, car, etc. etc...

Or a stereo, TV, garage sale items, car, etc. etc...

Well, now your talking about every ad on Craigslist.
Sometimes its hard to tell if you're buying stolen goods or from the owner.
I've bought lots of stuff of CL, I'm pretty sure all the deals were legit.

And btw, a year and a half ago my gun collection was also stolen.
Long story, if you want a link to it (its on another forum) I can give it.
But I got all my guns back within a few weeks, thankfully.

I partly agree that one " shouldnt have to worry", but then again you should. Isn't that a matter of conscience?

Define "reputable source". Would that be someplace like The Gun Room or Keith's Sporting Goods?

I don't feel I should be required to know anything about the seller. I don't care if he beats his dog, cheats on his wife or vice versa.
I want to know about the gun.
Has it been reported stolen?
I believe I am entitled to that information.

If it was a used automobile a quick phone call to the State of Washington (DMV) could determine if it had been reported stolen. Its so simple.
Why isn't it that way for a firearm?

I thought I might just chime in my .02 cents here...One of the real questions that seems to be coming up here is the reason the firearms needs to be present for the check to be done. Now I will be the first to admit I'm opposed to any sort of firearm registration, but I also have all of my firearm serial #'s in numerous secure locations. I, as a collector would not wish to have in my collection, any firearm that was stolen or possibally used in a crime. I would also like to have my collection returned to me if stolen and those responsible prosecuted. If a firearm of mine was stolen and the person who bought it was to call up and find out that the firearm was stolen, he may feel that he will be prosecuted for ownership of a stolen item and simply dump it in a river. This of course doesn't help me recover the firearm or aid in the capture of those responsible. I prefer to purchase my firearms though legal face to face transactions but I also take notes of the sale of each firearm...how I found the ad, contact #'s, where I met the individual, etc...If I was concerned about whether a firearm was stolen or not...and I took it in to have the # check and it did turn out it was stolen...Yes, I will be answering a few questions, maybe even for a couple of hours. But I like to think I would be helping in the investigation and possibally the return of the firearms to a fellow collector...someone like me. We all could recall a case or two where the law did not work in the favor of the citizen trying to help out...the law is not perfect, but it's what we got. Call me naive, but I still believe in the law. Yes, poccession is 9/10 the law, but a man is also innocent until proven guilty. If the local PD has a policy that requires you to have the weapon present for the check, so be it. It is a hassle but it is what it is.

I did not see a number to call "listed above". The only contact information I have seen was for Oregon State, not Washington State - where I live.
I would like contact information for Washington State.

Okay. So in a 2 minute search of Google, I got this:

"Call the Snohomish County Sheriff at (425) 388-3393 and ask them to run the Serial # through their database. Their database I believe covers the whole state, and is also NCIS linked."

Try it.

In Oregon, Call this number OSP 1-800-432-5059...You will need your personal information, name, address, phone number..The guns information, make, model and serial number..This part takes very little time...You can also run a background check on the person buying, But he /she has to be present...Background check takes about 20 min....This is for Oregon private sales....

They will come and pick the gun up and question you.....

Maybe maybe not

If i see a Sig in the classified section here, I ask the seller for the serial number, then call the Polk County Records and have them scan it, it comes back stolen.

I don't have it, the seller is some guy on the internet, I could give them the website for investigation or hang up the phone...then let the seller it came back as a stolen firearm and I am not interested

Same would go for any item on Craigs List...call records with the serial number on a bicycle, chain saw or DVD player, as of right now I know it is not stolen

Maybe maybe not

If i see a Sig in the classified section here, I ask the seller for the serial number, then call the Polk County Records and have them scan it, it comes back stolen.

I don't have it, the seller is some guy on the internet, I could give them the website for investigation or hang up the phone...then let the seller it came back as a stolen firearm and I am not interested

Same would go for any item on Craigs List...call records with the serial number on a bicycle, chain saw or DVD player, as of right now I know it is not stolen

OSP will not run the number if you don't have the gun in hand...Also any hang up with the police usually they can track the number..you should never give anyone you don't know the serial number of anything, Especially a gun.. Just my 2 cents worth....

The Firearms Unit is responsible for processing stolen gun checks against the stolen weapons files in LEDS and NCIC for the dealers and any private citizen requesting this service. There is no fee for processing the stolen gun checks. To check a firearm against the stolen record files, call 503-378-3070.

That was taken from

<broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top