JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I ask as to how you plan on registering a gun in Oregon. Is there a voluntary registration scheme in place? Are you guys down south going all "California" on us or something?

I'm a little late jumping in on this thread.

I was interested in purchasing a particular gun a few month ago. This was to be a private party face-to-face transaction. I didn't know the seller. I had no reason to think he wasn't on the up-and-up. I wanted to run the numbers on the pistol anyway just to be safe.

I live in Vancouver so I called the Vancouver Police and asked them about who I would contact to check the numbers of this gun for me. They had no idea and referred me to the Clark County Sheriffs Office.

I was getting the shuffle from them; I spoke with several people in several departments. After spending the better part of an afternoon on this matter I received a call back from a lady who had checked with her supervisor regarding this.

She told me that, yes, the Clark County Sheriffs Office had the ability to check the numbers for there own purpose but WILL NOT check for the public.

I was more than a little surprised, but not to surprised to ask her the reason for this. She was ready for that question. She told me her supervisor had said it was a

"public safety issue". :confused:

She didn't know anything beyond that. She was just a worker bee and didn't make policy so there was no point in arguing the idiocy of it all.

As far as I know neither The City of Vancouver, or Clark County have any interest in helping protect you from unknowingly buying a stolen gun.

Here in Douglas County,Oregon,the sheriff will run it for you,and so will the local PD in Roseburg,but all the local agencies have a policy that the gun must be present for them to run it,they will not do it over the phone.I was told it's a liability issue if they cannot immediately take possession of the stolen weapon,which I understand...But,they are happy to run the numbers if you meet with an officer or bring it to the office...

Having been a law enforcement officer for over 25 years with various departments (and am still a law enforcement officer), almost all angencies have their own policy regarding the release of information and using the law enforcement computer system for non-official business.

I have found that officially, the departments are not to run any weapons for the public unless the individual goes to the police department in person with the weapons. The primary reason is so that if the weapon does come back stolen they can take you into custody.

Federal law prohibts the release of any information obtained from a third party agency's criminal records. Now how does this pertain to the situation of running a stolen gun? Say Portland PD take a report and enters the gun into the system as being stolen. Any agency other then Portland PD can not confirm or deny the gun is stolen (or release any other cumputer records for that matter) until they have permission from Portland PD to release that info outside of their agency.

Very very often officers will do it as a favor or "public service" for a private citizen. If something happens, it will come back to the individual officer. Everytime an article is queried in NCIC, it is a permanent record and it is very easy to see who queried that acrticle.

I hope this clears it up for all of you guys. If you're going to buy a gun from someone face to face, do it at the local police department. TGhey can run the gun for you and you don't risk the danger of being ripped off or robbed by somebody you don't know.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6272

<broken link removed>

The Firearms Unit is responsible for processing stolen gun checks against the stolen weapons files in LEDS and NCIC for the dealers and any private citizen requesting this service. There is no fee for processing the stolen gun checks. To check a firearm against the stolen record files, call 503-378-3070.

Oh I get it. So they would rather stolen guns just be sold, and or be able to arrest an innocent person for possesion of a stolen gun for bringing a stolen gun into the police station to check to see if it's stolen.
Nice. Makes a lot of sense.....NOT. :huh:

Having been a law enforcement officer for over 25 years with various departments (and am still a law enforcement officer), almost all angencies have their own policy regarding the release of information and using the law enforcement computer system for non-official business.

I have found that officially, the departments are not to run any weapons for the public unless the individual goes to the police department in person with the weapons. The primary reason is so that if the weapon does come back stolen they can take you into custody.

Federal law prohibts the release of any information obtained from a third party agency's criminal records. Now how does this pertain to the situation of running a stolen gun? Say Portland PD take a report and enters the gun into the system as being stolen. Any agency other then Portland PD can not confirm or deny the gun is stolen (or release any other cumputer records for that matter) until they have permission from Portland PD to release that info outside of their agency.

Very very often officers will do it as a favor or "public service" for a private citizen. If something happens, it will come back to the individual officer. Everytime an article is queried in NCIC, it is a permanent record and it is very easy to see who queried that acrticle.

I hope this clears it up for all of you guys. If you're going to buy a gun from someone face to face, do it at the local police department. TGhey can run the gun for you and you don't risk the danger of being ripped off or robbed by somebody you don't know.

the departments are not to run any weapons for the public unless the individual goes to the police department in person with the weapons. The primary reason is so that if the weapon does come back stolen they can take you into custody.

one more time, the innocent victim (being sold a hot gun...) becomes the criminal. Great "justice" system we've got........ and all on account of "public safety". Just another "excuse" to do what THEY want to do.. sort of has the same ring and effectiveness of "its for the children". Sheesh.....

they can check to see if its stolen but without a balistics test theres no way of telling if its been used to commit a homicide.that could cause alot of headaches:(

What is this supposed to mean? Do you believe there should be a ballistics test?

Are you sure you found the forum you were looking for? Did you mean to type 'infiltrator' when choosing a screen name? :confused:

the departments are not to run any weapons for the public unless the individual goes to the police department in person with the weapons. The primary reason is so that if the weapon does come back stolen they can take you into custody.

I have MANY times called my local (Salem) PD and had number run PRIOR to my purchase of used firearms. They have always been very polite and helpful and ran the numbers without hesitation.

the ballistics test IS a valid point... a gun can have been used in a crime, never reported stolen, but still be "hot" in that sense. For this reason the State of Illinois, for one I know about, requires that EVERY firearm transferred into that state, or between residents, have a ballistics test done and the results on file with some state department. I know, because my FFL Dealer was lamenting the fact that a used pistol he had sold into Illinois did not have the spent shell casing it came with new... and some manufacturers don't even supply that when new. So, the poor sap in Illinois who had bought the gun now has to pay some exhorbitant fee to have the local hoo hahs seize the gun, fire the round, keep the spent casing, make the record.... all for a fee, of course.

I believe my man had looked into it, and not one crime has ever been solved by finding a spent case at a crime scene, taking its "print", then searching the database they've got to find the match..... and the registered culprit.

All that aside, if a gun is not listed as stolen, and someone buys it innocently, I would hope the law enforcement chaps would not try too hard to send up the innocent buyer.... which all means it would help a lot to have some sort of record of the seller, ID, address, etc, for FtF sales. Through a dealer, no problem, because that transaction is recorded, and the record has to be kept on file for 20 years at the dealer's place. SO.... I buy a gun on GB, it later turns out to have been used in a crime, but the transfer came through my FFL Dealer, who has the record... simple matter of calling him up and saying Hey, remember that ____ gun I bought, oh last spring? I need a copy of the transfer papers on that one.... NCIS also gets the serial number and type of gun as part of the BG check info in the call....... so THEY'VE got to approve the sale too.

I wouldn't worry much about a ballistics test as part of a sale... and I am SO glad I don't live in Illinois. One of the states on my list to NOT move to (Calif, NY, NJ, MA, MD all being on the same list....)

as far as jafo's comment goes no not infiltraitor had a friend who bought a gun and got a murder pined on him because he had it.the basis of it was possen is nine tenths of the law.nice to see u jump to conclusions when someone is just trying to help another person.:huh:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top