JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have never used nickel plated brass before and went to load some 10mm yesterday with new Starline cases and 200gr XTP's. I always load a dummy round when changing components to check for OAL, crimp, and function in my weapon. I went to pull the bullet after checking everything and it wouldn't come out. It finally separated the lead core from the jacket and the jacket is still stuck in the case. I have never had this happen before and am wondering if the nickel brass has more neck tension perhaps? OAL is 1.260 and my crimp is .423 which is exactly the same as my regular brass rounds.
Anyone else ever have this happen? I don't want to load and fire any rounds that are stuck in the case that tight unless I know for sure it's not a problem.

Ron

Here is what happened when I tried to pull the bullets from 2 cases. I have never seen a jacket and core separate like this.

Ron

_87Q0535.jpg

_87Q0532.jpg

_87Q0533.jpg

That's insane! Looks like some alien "stuff" The crimp on your brass looks fine. It doesn't look like it's rolled over and crushing the jacket. I've never seen anything like that:s0131: How many hits did it take to get that separation?!! I'm gonna watch this thread play out to the end! Good luck man! (I have loaded starline brass with 124gr xtp 9mm without issue)

It appears to me that you need to adjust your puller (I'm assuming it's a collet-style puller) to grasp the bullet closer to the case mouth. It seems to be grasping the lead core between the jacketing separations.

I don't remember how many times I hit it but I started with the usual force and then kept hitting it harder because the bullet wasn't moving at all. I smacked it pretty good when the core started coming out. I tried loading a Nosler 150gr into this brass today and it did come out without separation but it was still a bit more difficult than when I use the regular Starline brass. I checked the case mouths of both types and they measure and look identical. No defects or burrs that I can feel or see.
I am going to load one of these XTP's into a regular brass case tomorrow and see if it will come back out without separating. If it still comes apart, I will probably contact Hornady. I really thought the kinetic puller would break before something like this could happen.

Ron

It appears to me that you need to adjust your puller (I'm assuming it's a collet-style puller) to grasp the bullet closer to the case mouth. It seems to be grasping the lead core between the jacketing separations.

Typing at the same time....

I used a kinetic puller on this. Don't have a collet puller right now.

Ron

Just because. What exactly is stamped on the brass? Reason I ask is because 9x19 and 9x18mac are super close to the same size. I still have NO idea what you have goin on there!

So I loaded some of the 200gr XTP's into regular Starline brass last night and ran them over the chrono. 8.6gr of Power Pistol, 1.260 OAL, CCI 300 primers. 6" KKM barrel/G20 1287fps avg. Brass all looks good with no signs of over pressure so I will go ahead and load a few in the nickel and see how things go.

Ron

Ran some 150gr Nosler JHP's loaded in the nickel starline with 10.6gr of Power Pistol today. G20 w/6"KKM barrel, CCI 300, OAL 1.252. 1558fps avg very consistent shooting load. Brass looks good after firing. Need to see how they group next. Just over 800ft-lbs KE with this load.

Ron

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR