JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
just got a new set off 9mm Lee carbide dies,and the sizing die just seems super tight.i have to push atleast twice as hard on it than my rcbs .45 dies.if I cover each case with some case lube it gets a little easier but still more force than doing the 45.anyone have any suggestions or ideas of what would cause this.might just have to call Lee and see about getting a new set

Interesting. Stupid question, but you did tumble the brass to clean it up ahead of time I assume?

I've also had brass that was tumbled in media that left a dusty residue. That was harder to push through the sizing die, and occasionally scratched the brass as well. I dumped that brass back into the media tumbler and added a capful of mineral spirits to the media which took care of the problem.

If none of this is adding to your issue I'd definitely call up Lee. I'm sure they'll take care of you.

Give 'em a spritz of lube.. as you said, it makes it easier.
9mm has a pretty stout web.
Measure the sized case to see if it's within spec.. if it's not, call LEE.. if it is, see above.

I've noticed the same thing and only used Lee. CBC and Sellior & Bellot are worse than others. I just mug through it and I've never pulled a rim off? 9mm has a slightly tapered case too which may add to the issue. I did use some lube back when I started 6 years ago but didn't keep up with it. When I used lube I'd just get a bit on my fingers and roll a case between the fingers before sizing. You'll get 3-4 case done before it gets tight again after the one.

just got a new set off 9mm Lee carbide dies,and the sizing die just seems super tight.i have to push atleast twice as hard on it than my rcbs .45 dies.if I cover each case with some case lube it gets a little easier but still more force than doing the 45.anyone have any suggestions or ideas of what would cause this.might just have to call Lee and see about getting a new set

Do you have a Mic? If so I would check the case compared to a factory. It may well be the die is out of spec. Of course hard to tell with just a description like this. Could not hurt to give Lee a call. I would assume they would replace the one you bought and then you can find out it another "feels" the same.

Just checked a sized case against a factory one.its writhing .005 of the factory case
Is it 5 thou bigger after sizing or 5 thou smaller than factory after sizing? If it's 5 thou smaller than factory I would call Lee or ask them by e-mail. 5 thou smaller may well be out of spec. Check the length too. If it is out of spec too small it may well be forcing them out in length too.

Do you know the history of the "hard to re-size brass", what gun it was fired in, etc.
Competitors who shoot 9mm in any game with a power factor will load 9mm "hot" and leave the stretched out brass on the ground...for you to pick-up :s0001:.
If you fired this brass in a known chamber...never mind :rolleyes:.
:D

Do you know the history of the "hard to size brass", what gun it was fired in, etc.
Competitors who shoot 9mm in any game with a power factor will load 9mm "hot" and leave the stretched out brass on the ground...for you to pick-up :s0001:.
If you fired this brass in a known chamber...never mind :rolleyes:.
I never even thought to ask that. OP is this "your brass"? Back when a few of us had a couple of the old Ingram Machine guns they were hard on brass. Had slightly over size chambers I guess. Brass was always much harder to size after it went through them.

It's the brass not the die.

Sometimes I pick up brass that's been ran through a SMG or something with a really, and I mean REALLY loose chamber. it's a bugger to size but once I own it, shoot it again I never know what piece of brass it was to start with.

That must be it!

Amazing, @Josh89 and I came upon a bunch of it! Don't ya' think?:D

It takes at least twice the amount of effort to resize 9mm as any other brass. Some 9 less, some more. Blazer is soft, CBC, S&B hard.
Yes and 9mm feels a lot different than .45 because of the taper I think. The 9 kind of fights you harder all the way to the base, but with 45 you get kind of a pleasing even feel after the mouth gets past the sizing ring.

Edit: forgot to say, load up a dummy round with no powder or primer and see if it plunks in your chamber and fits right.

Last Edited:
I made some about 20 rounds and all passed the plunk test and fired and ran just fine,well besides the lower end 5 I made.wouldnt lock the slide back.its all once fired brass,out of a couple different guns.fns9,glock 19,sig p938 also a ar9.think someone had a Taurus out there one day to

I made some about 20 rounds and all passed the plunk test and fired and ran just fine,well besides the lower end 5 I made.wouldnt lock the slide back.its all once fired brass,out of a couple different guns.fns9,glock 19,sig p938 also a ar9.think someone had a Taurus out there one day to
I don't recall your brass cleaning routine from your mega-thread but know if you add Nu-Finish to the vib media, it will leave the brass slippery as well as shiny.
Kind of like a case lube...:rolleyes:
just sayin'

Winchester nato brass goes through my sizer incredibly hard the first round, I'm not sure it's the crimped primers or if their brass is of a different hardness vs. their commercial brass w/out the crimp. If you make your way down to Newberg someday I'd be glad to give you a Cabelas bag full of it just so I don't have to deal with it.

Winchester nato brass goes through my sizer incredibly hard the first round, I'm not sure it's the crimped primers or if their brass is of a different hardness vs. their commercial brass w/out the crimp. If you make your way down to Newberg someday I'd be glad to give you a Cabelas bag full of it just so I don't have to deal with it.

That rings a bell now that you mention it....I did get a couple of 9mm that had weird markings. I think I may have taken a close look when they were hard to re-size and looked up the markings. Only had a couple and tossed 'em. If they were crimped it wasn't obvious. :s0153: I'll pass on the brass, but thanks! I have a pretty good sized bag of S&B myself.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews