JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is it uncommon for ammunition to dismantle itself when used in a revolver?

This may not be of widespread interest, since I didn't find anything relevant while searching the forums. My own interest arises from a bit of embarrassment today at the CCSO range while shooting for LEOSA re-qualification. I was using Blazer Brass 9mm FMJ in my Ruger LCR 9mm (yes, with those cute little moon clips).

After firing the first 4 rounds of the course, I opened the cylinder to exchange the clip for a fresh one. Surprise, the remaining (unfired) cartridge regurgitated its shiny little bullet out the business end of the cylinder. An interesting fluke, I thought, and the range officer agreed. We moved to the next position and I fired a 3-round drill. When I opened the cylinder to exchange that clip for fresh, one of the two remaining (unfired) cartridges plopped its bullet onto the ground at our feet.

So, it's not just a fluke anymore. Seeing the safety issue, the the range officer called a temporary halt. He then generously offered me enough range ammo to finish the course, and even helped me unload/reload my little moon clips. Using the donated Federal American Eagle 9mm ammo, there were no repeats of the problem experienced with that Blazer Brass ammo. FWIW, I qualified.

OK, the "why" of the situation seems pretty clear - sharp recoil is unseating the bullets from the cartridges. I suspect this has happened to others, too, so can anyone tell me what other brands of ammo are already known to literally "loosen their load" when used in light revolvers like my LCR 9mm?

Last Edited:
The technical term is either "crimp jump" or "bullet jump." Semi-automatic ammo are not crimped like revolver ammo. I have a 9mm Charter Arms Pitbull and had to do some research on the topic as well.

Remington UMC 9mm seems to be fine
Winchester White box 9mm seems to be fine

Some tests on the subject:
Yankee Marshal:
Paul Harrell:

Some photos and more brands tested:
9MM Ammo: Bullet Creep (AKA Bullet Crimp Jump) in Snubnose Revolver

This is a common problem with the ultra lite 357 revolvers and lite bullets. Not surprised that a 9mm lite weight revolver is doing this also. This is why some revolvers are marked to indicate the minimum bullet weight to be used in them.

44 cal. CCI #4 shot capsul ammo red plastic capsules easily came apart and "bb"s went everywhere. Almost no crimp.
Only shoot single cartridge at a time. NOT for self defense!

Thanks for the replies. Although American Eagle 147 grain worked OK for my qualification, I'll do more experimenting with that and also some other brands. I like the idea of using a permanent marker across the crimp (shown in at least one video), then checking after each shot to see if any separation occurs.

The potential for cylinder lock-up is high, but that's something I hadn't even thought about until looking over the replies. Lock-up would be a real PITA on the range, and definitely could be fatal in a self-defense situation. So, I really need to spend some bucks on different brands of defense ammo until I find some that won't work loose.

If you roll your own you might look at resizing some .357 125gr bullets with a cantilure to .355 and crimping them with a roll crimp. You would need to only use them in your revolver.
Edited to add: I do this in my 38 super with 158gr bullets only I don't roll crimp them.

I've heard of this with heavy recoiling loads in revolvers. Never experienced it. It never occurred to me that this would happen with revolvers shooting semi-auto cartridges because of the difference in crimping, but it makes sense.

Been thinking about getting 9mm and .40 revolvers, and having my 460V modified to also shoot .45 ACP. Now I will have to consider this as part of the equation.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top