JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Say I work up a load with Federal primers and I switch to Winchester or CCI.

Will there be a difference in velocity or accuracy?

I ask because I have about 150 of each of these 3 brands.

Thanks
John

If it's blasting ammo then don't concern yourself but if you want true accuracy then stick to the load you built. The answer is yes there is a difference in primers.

If I am loading bulk with forgivable tolerances, I don't care.

If I'm going nuts chasing small groups. I care. Usually make notes of what works best and stick to that for repeatability.

Last batch of 5k 223/556 bulk, I used wolf small rifle magnums. Zero noticeable difference in going bang in my ARs. Groups in slow mode (aka actually trying) are 1-1.5" at their smallest. Chronograph spread was sub 100fps. Not the greatest, but I don't measure meticulously for each round when loading my bulk stuff that I shoot mostly for practice. I just charge cases via a powder flow. I'm not at the top end either so I'm not worried about pressure problems.

Few months ago I made a comparison between CCI, Federal, Win and Rem LR primers (using the exact same powder charge, same brass cases and same bullets) and I absolutely saw NO difference. However, it is possible that for some reloads primers can make significant difference, but I personally never experienced it. I only reload large rifle ammo.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top