JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm more worried about a Borg invasion, unless they are running a Windows based OS we'd be hard pressed to defeat them right now. Sir Patrick may hafta jump into his red suit again :D

Irreverent & edgy humor along with political skepticism aside, I'm convinced its time for a formal agency. Just as the Pancho Villa expedition provided impetus for General Pershing to wet nurse the Army into the era of wheeled vehicles instead of a hoof supported cavalry, the reality of modern era competition demands attention to technological advances.

I find the "irreverent & edgy humor" an irresponsible approach to a serious subject. If you "boys" want to speak as children, I'll regard you in just such a manner.

I was hoping for a higher level of intellect from this crowd.

I find the "irreverent & edgy humor" an irresponsible approach to a serious subject. If you "boys" want to speak as children, I'll regard you in just such a manner.

I was hoping for a higher level of intellect from this crowd.

As always you find a way to put people down when they don't look at things exactly like you do.

Sorry to disappoint. :rolleyes:

There has to be a tremendous filtering process of everything considered top secret or above before it even gets to the eyes and ears of the President. Perhaps Trump is seeing only the tip of the iceberg.

For him to publicly go on record suggesting it is time for a US Space Force, what does that mean for the rest of the iceberg we will never see either? Everything has its timing. Is this good or bad for us?

Dunno that. Lots of speculation going on right now regarding UFOs and the frank possibility ANY star faring civilization would even waste their time with Earth. Is there going to be a huge announcement?

There has to be a tremendous filtering process of everything considered top secret or above before it even gets to the eyes and ears of the President. Perhaps Trump is seeing only the tip of the iceberg.

For him to publicly go on record suggesting it is time for a US Space Force, what does that mean for the rest of the iceberg we will never see either? Everything has its timing. Is this good or bad for us?

Dunno that. Lots of speculation going on right now regarding UFOs and the frank possibility ANY star faring civilization would even waste their time with Earth. Is there going to be a huge announcement?

As I said in an earlier post, they never reveal to us what we really have on the cutting edge. The F117 was damn near 15 years old before they showed it off officially. Groom Lake has all sorts of UFO sightings, my guess is these are less alien craft, than highly advanced US air and maybe even air and space vehicles. I would not be surprised at all to learn of more outposts in orbit than the ISS as well. There has always been a military space program beside that of NASA. Now with public private-$ector involvement, they can either phase out NASA, or merge it into the new USSF.

Captain O's knotted knicker not withstanding, this is probably a good move and possibly the beginning of a disclosure. UFOs are certainly real objects, I have seen one myself. BUT as I said above, they are likely classified air craft being tested or operated that we are seeing, vs Mr. Spock and his green blooded buddies come to observe the backwater hicks of the Alpha Quadrant clawing up the evolutionary ladder.

As big as the universe is, theres no way we are alone in it. Maybe some day we'll get to say hello, and I have no doubt we will settle on other planets and moons - first within our solar system, then who knows.

Until the USSF is a real thing the super serious are going to have to deal with the levity that comes with it. It could be an exciting time ahead, or a huge boondoggle. The defense industry and aerospace industries all probably simultaneously orgasmed at Trump's announcement though - a new branch of the military will need personnel, equipment, bases... money will be flowing like the River Thames.

I'd be excited if I were 15 years younger. My luck though, I'd get stuck in a red shirt and sent on an away mission with a nonexpendable character :rolleyes:

Hopefully USSF ships don't route power conduits behind every glass panel or keyboard... :D

Good metaphor IMHO. In the age of WW1 Polish horse soldiers, no matter how skilled or how brave, even the crummiest tank & most flawed machine guns had disastrous effects. The first generation of any new weapon of war has been 'asymmetrical enough' benefits to make the cost of development worth the effort for the side fielding it.

The canvas and flying scarves of WW1 British air craft were sitting ducks for the WW2 Luftwaffe hardware.

The days of sending frenzied legions headlong into battle, no matter how sharp the gladius may be, has passed. At least for now.

My oldest brother was Mustang mechanic in Korean war. He knew what they could do, and he new what the new Mig 15s were doing as well. The only reason we support 'upgraded technology' is it increases our survival and win ratio.

I'd like a better look at that iceberg below the tip of the 'Space Force' as well.

During Vietnam Conflict, we were leaving WW2 technology/warfare in the past and embracing the M14 and M16. It is time to move into the Space Force realm of combat and military exploration. The Chinese were given our technology by William Jefferson Clinton. It is long overdue to be prepared for warfare in the heavens.

How can we develop commerce and industry, and from them civilization, in space if we refuse to develop the means to protect them? Even if STATE actors all play by the rules--and we know they won't--it's only a matter of time before Non-State Actors like pirates and terrorists do. Just imagine the terror value of some al-Qaeda hitting the first large space colony with a kamikaze-guided ICBM and killing thousands upon thousands...

How can we develop commerce and industry, and from them civilization, in space if we refuse to develop the means to protect them? Even if STATE actors all play by the rules--and we know they won't--it's only a matter of time before Non-State Actors like pirates and terrorists do. Just imagine the terror value of some al-Qaeda hitting the first large space colony with a kamikaze-guided ICBM and killing thousands upon thousands...

Preach it!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top