JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What a slippery slope this thing is. On the one hand, when someone on SSRI's flips the switch on goes nuts, everybody says, "why didn't we do something while we knew about him?". On the other, well, Constitution.

This bill just creates a committee that studies the topic. It doesn't actually implement anything, much less allow anyone to be arrested or even investigated.

I don't have a problem with the bill, we're always screaming about stopping violence without taking guns, why not give it a chance?

This bill just creates a committee that studies the topic. It doesn't actually implement anything, much less allow anyone to be arrested or even investigated.

I don't have a problem with the bill, we're always screaming about stopping violence without taking guns, why not give it a chance?
Beware of these uretheral bills that have a lot of fluff that's not defined in hard terms... Didn't we just go through a fight where such a "study" bill was gutted and stuffed with the most egregious gun control efforts put forth by the anti-constitution party in Oregon...

Beware of those feel good, doing something meaningless bill titles...

What a slippery slope this thing is. On the one hand, when someone on SSRI's flips the switch on goes nuts, everybody says, "why didn't we do something while we knew about him?". On the other, well, Constitution.

I'll contend, yet again, that people on SSRIs are not automatically dangerous. Neither are Veterans, neither are autistics, neither are many disorders of the mind. The risk happens when withdrawing from an SSRI cold turkey... ask me how I know!!! And don't believe all the hype from those that read the warnings on the label and call it good enough.

All medications have side effects, and many have withdrawal effects. It is up to a patient's doctor to decide if the reward/benefit is higher than the risk. But perhaps what we need is a way to ensure that patients can't go off their SSRI meds... maybe something like a slow release injection or like the Norplant for birth control. I think another problem is that we have GPs prescribing mood altering meds... that can't be good.

Beware of these uretheral bills that have a lot of fluff that's not defined in hard terms... Didn't we just go through a fight where such a "study" bill was gutted and stuffed with the most egregious gun control efforts put forth by the anti-constitution party in Oregon...

Beware of those feel good, doing something meaningless bill titles...

It's reasonably well defined. If they change it, then perhaps I'll change my opinion on it. As it stands now, I'm fine with it.

This is the wording that bothers me. (C) bothers me the most "management" what does that mean?

(A) identifying individuals who are exhib15 iting patterns of concerning behavior that indicate an interest, motive, intention, or capability 17 of carrying out an act of violence;
(B) investigating and gathering information from multiple sources to assess whether an individual described in subparagraph (A) poses a threat, based on articulable facts;
(C) the subsequent management of such a threat, if necessary.

I'll contend, yet again, that people on SSRIs are not automatically dangerous. Neither are Veterans, neither are autistics, neither are many disorders of the mind. The risk happens when withdrawing from an SSRI cold turkey... ask me how I know!!! And don't believe all the hype from those that read the warnings on the label and call it good enough.

All medications have side effects, and many have withdrawal effects. It is up to a patient's doctor to decide if the reward/benefit is higher than the risk. But perhaps what we need is a way to ensure that patients can't go off their SSRI meds... maybe something like a slow release injection or like the Norplant for birth control. I think another problem is that we have GPs prescribing mood altering meds... that can't be good.
I didn't mean to imply that. I guess I was trying to make the association that most many if not all of the mass shooters in recent history seemed to have a history of SSRI usage. I should have tried to be more eloquent. My apologies for sounding like a insensitive dimwit, and thank you for saying much better than what I was trying to pound out on my little keyboard. :)

Given all the many high profile cases that have been predicted and prevented in the past based on expert behavioral analysis by LEO and/or mental health pros, this is a no brainer.
/sarc

While some of the language isn't perfect, all this does is create a think tank. There won't be any laws coming out of it, any laws will have to go through the same process that all bills do.

Behavioral profiling does work, every other major country in the world uses it with airport security and their security is much more effective than our circus side show theater BS is.

Whether an actual law is acceptable or not depends on its language and execution. This is not a law, it's not the beginnings of a law, it isn't a proposal in any way, it just designates a group to look into some methods of identifying potential bad actors. I see nothing wrong with that.

No one in our country should have to live in fear, especially in schools, universities, workplaces or places of worship. "The TAPS Act is a way to stop such violent attacks in their tracks."
Yes, we all know how efficiently dot gov works when they know all about a mentally deranged kid, for example, who lets everyone know ahead of time what he intends to do. I'm sure with a new acronym they will be able to "stop such violent attacks in their tracks" :rolleyes:

I didn't mean to imply that. I guess I was trying to make the association that most many if not all of the mass shooters in recent history seemed to have a history of SSRI usage. I should have tried to be more eloquent. My apologies for sounding like a insensitive dimwit, and thank you for saying much better than what I was trying to pound out on my little keyboard. :)

No problem!! I understand that so many of the shooters have been taking some type of psych meds... Tho often it's unclear just what meds those were... there are lots of different ones and some are pretty strong, or have radical side effects and withdrawal symptoms. And those strong meds are used to try to control some heavy duty mental problems. But ya'll are right about that.

Sorry bout the rant... it's just that I'm always reading comments here from quite a number of members that don't seem to understand the workings and issues surrounding the prescribing and usage of SSRIs... we hate demonizing firearms, yet we seem to always be demonizing a medication that is useful in controlling problematic symptoms such as depression, anxiety, and anger. As a former patient on an SSRI, I take it a little personal, even tho I know it's not directed at me.

Full disclosure: I was prescribed an SSRI by a licensed psychiatrist after suffering a mini-breakdown during a period of extreme family crisis and months of pressure and stress at work. My dad had tried to commit suicide, the family was at fault for demonizing him and making his life miserable, and I was intervening to put a stop to it. At the same time, my boss had forced me into an unworkable situation with trying to complete a project that would utilize VOIP for radio dispatch of the local electric utility... the equipment was faulty, the work of the IT dept at the utility was flawed and unresponsive, and the support from the manufacturer of the equip was non-existent. Yet my boss, for many months, insisted that I complete the project and would not help me do it. I wound up in a rage after one last argument and was shaking and could not speak. I needed a break. (BTW, the project was taken over by a provider in Boise, and was determined to be just like I had said, unworkable. They wound up buying different equipment and the big boss at the utility had to browbeat/threaten the IT dept into proper support.)

The SSRI I was prescribed helped manage my recovery, and helped stop me from snapping at everyone around me, including my dear wife, who doesn't understand. I think of it as if I have PTSD. The medication worked, it did it's job. But I didn't want to stay on it. I knew that a person has to taper off slowly, but that's not my style. So I went cold turkey a number of times.... I can tell you that grouchy doesn't even come close to how I felt. I got angry very easily. My wife begged me to start taking the medicine again... and I did. I've been off the SSRI for a long time now, but breaking out of it took about 6 months and was hard on those around me.

Should I never have taken that medication? IDK. Would I do it again? I don't think so... it's too hard to quit... it's like a lifetime sentence, once you start taking it you have to stay on it. And you have to take other medication if you want to be sexually active... not good!!! Maybe I'd manage by getting drunk, but becoming an alcoholic and going into alcoholic rages.... yeah, NOT!! Maybe smoke some rope... now that I'm retired I could.... go on a little trip... Wow man... hey, I'm hungry!!! :D

It's all good brother cigars, I like your stuff...

bb

(Edit to add: This post was probably oversharing, but I wrote it to help members understand that otherwise normal people use SSRIs to combat small(ish) mental issues. IMO it is the stronger drugs and bigger mental problems that would be more of a cause for people to go off their nut and shoot up others. That said, the rage from cold turkey SSRI withdrawal is real. YMMV)

Last Edited:
With nsa and corporate-government "platforms" like fb and google mix that with policies like this and bad news aint far around the corner, but to be positive helicarriers are cool!

Beware of these uretheral bills that have a lot of fluff that's not defined in hard terms...
uretheral? As in pertaining to the Uretha? I think Ethereal or ephemeral might work here, but urethral bills is just a hilarious concept to me as a nurse. Keep government out of my urethra!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top