JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
While some of the language isn't perfect, all this does is create a think tank. There won't be any laws coming out of it, any laws will have to go through the same process that all bills do.

Behavioral profiling does work, every other major country in the world uses it with airport security and their security is much more effective than our circus side show theater BS is.

Whether an actual law is acceptable or not depends on its language and execution. This is not a law, it's not the beginnings of a law, it isn't a proposal in any way, it just designates a group to look into some methods of identifying potential bad actors. I see nothing wrong with that.

Section 6 thru 9 appears to be where the creation and implementation of new law occurs, or at the very least - suggested new bureaucratic regulations. From Section 6:

"SEC. 6. DEVELOPMENT OF NATIONAL STRATEGY.

(a) NATIONAL STRATEGY DEVELOPMENT.—
(1) IN GENERAL.—The Secretary shall develop a national strategy relating to behavioral threat assessment and management and consider the recommendations made by the Task Force pursuant to section 5 in the development of such strategy.
(b) EFFECTIVE DATE.—The national strategy required under subsection (a) shall take effect 180 days after the date of enactment of this Act, unless Congress enacts a joint resolution of disapproval of the national strategy during such 180-day period."

Section 8 gives out grants to communities that implement the national strategy. How much? Just to start: per Section 9, $25,000,000 per year for 5 years. What community will turn down free money? From Section 8:

SEC. 8. BEHAVIORAL THREAT ASSESSMENT AND MANAGEMENT GRANT PROGRAM.
(a) IN GENERAL.—The Secretary shall award grants to eligible entities to establish community-based behavioral threat assessment and management units that implement
the national strategy.

From Section 9:

SEC. 9. AUTHORIZATION OF APPROPRIATIONS.

(a) IN GENERAL.—There are authorized to be appropriated to carry out sections 7 and 8 $25,000,000 for each of fiscal years 2020 through 2024.

Last Edited:
Yay!!! Thought police!!!

What could possibly go wrong with software and technology created by humans to be used against humans...

Software designed in silicon valley Possibly target old school hard core patriot 2A supporters, I could word that more accurately but We have to play nice now.

First Doctors start asking if you own guns, now this. Sure its all for our safety.:rolleyes:

Do you take antidepressants, own a gun, Doctors now become the Gestapo, for the fatherland.

Most Respectfully ...

What we have here is the tail chasing the dog? Slippery slope indeed. Incremental restrictions. Taking a right then making it a privilege then prohibiting it. We will always have wackos. We will always have dishonest or even treasonous public officials, appointed or elected.

What happens then ALL the nut cases are prohibited from firearm ownership? Then outlaw English Long Bows? Then swords? Then big kitchen knives? How about cars as kinetic energy weapons? Outlaw Vehicles? Then fists? Knees? Feet? Where does it end? Will it?

I see it as a unwelcome result of too many stupid uneducated people voting and voting for their own stupid uneducated interests. Including electing over and over again dishonest or criminal politicians who encourage or enact dangerous illegal anti Constitutional laws.

Cave Junction is a microcosm of what can and does happen when a small mountain valley SW Oregon town functions without meaningful law enforcement. We enjoy ONE hired Sheriffs Deputy about 30 hours a week. The rest of the time we have no law enforcement at all.

My CC permit expires shortly. Need to renew it. I am not alone in legal carry. By my feeble estimates about half of the citizens CC something. Probably lots of scumvermin CC without a license. So far it has worked out OK. An armed society is a polite society. Works here.

Most respectfully ...

This bill just creates a committee that studies the topic. It doesn't actually implement anything, much less allow anyone to be arrested or even investigated.

I don't have a problem with the bill, we're always screaming about stopping violence without taking guns, why not give it a chance?

The committee will do a study [i.e., cherry pick and/or manufacture data] to come to a predetermined conclusion. Citing that study, the legislature and governor will pass some ridiculously vague confiscatory policy. SAF will sue over it. The courts will apply some level of scrutiny, probably intermediate, and uphold the law because the legislation is based on evidence of a problem (see the original manufactured study) and is tailored to fit that problem.

To get there, they need to manufacture the evidence. That's what the committee is about. Why not just stop it at step 1?

George Orwell's 1984. It will be an intrusion into every aspect of your life. If you hit too many benchmarks, you will get a knock on your door - or worse. Your name will get spit out of a computer database of information that may or may not have been gathered legally.

We will have no control on the benchmarks that judge our lives, possible actions and thoughts.

Potential, is the operative word. We all have potential. I have "bad" thoughts, on the freeway, at work, in the supermarket, but, I don't act on them. Possibly never will.
IIRC from my psychology courses back at the dawn of time, about 4 out of 10 people at any given time suffer from some sort "transient neurosis", out of those only a tiny percentage go on to becoming full blown psychotic.
This has the potential of having some bureaucracy drone following a flow chart on his/her computer screen and declaring me a future criminal. Much in the same way customer service works in India. We all know how well that works.

In a way I'd be for this if they were going to use it to reach out to stop people from USING a gun, but we all know for them the issue is trying to stop people from OWNING a gun.

They've told us that the gun is the problem not the shooter every day since forever.

Given that, this is not even a conversation.

I am not sure if this has been discussed before. A whole new police state may be in the making.

https://www.hometownstation.com/san...partisan-taps-act-national-police-week-278265

https://babin.house.gov/uploadedfiles/hr_838_bill_text.pdf

Seems like they can prosecute you before you commit a crime.
It's called the Red Flag Law. Cops can come to you domain and take your firearms "Without due process" of law. Washington state now has it. I try not to talk about guns nor do I say I have any. Someone who doesn't like you, could tell the cops that I was talking about killing people. That's all they need. The Nazi cops would then come down on my house, which used to be my last private area, and take
my guns from me. That's about as Nazi as you can get. I predict, that in fifty years or less, our country will be control ed by a government similar to China's!!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top