JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Some ball is ok, as some tumbles on impact and some fragments. I was watching a review of the 5.56 PPU 75 gr. match I think it was, and it expanded almost like a SP - but that was one bullet, he did not test more than that to see if they all expanded - it might have been a fluke.

I have ball ammo for rifle calibers, it will serve as practice/training ammo and a fallback if I run out of expanding ammo. For any of my self-defense rifles I have at least a battle pack of expanding ammo - such as Hornady TAP, Remington GD, Hornady SST.

But I want to stack deeper and I want to do it in bulk - I want to at least start with 1K of expanding ammo for each caliber, and work deeper every year. If SHTF a person could easily burn thru 1K of ammo in a firefight. I don't want to get into firefights and I might not survive a firefight but at least I do not want to run out of ammo in one.
PSA often has Speer gold dot .223 on sale for around $10 per box. Might want to look into that. That's what a lot of law enforcement uses.

PSA often has Speer gold dot .223 on sale for around $10 per box. Might want to look into that. That's what a lot of law enforcement uses.

I already have a case I bought about a year ago - probably from PSA (I would have to look it up).

PPU is less expensive than that.

I am going to buy in bulk, but I will buy a couple boxes first to see how well it works in my rifles.

It does not hurt to have several different kinds, especially when you have different rifles with different twist rates. I have six rifles in 5.56, three of which have the same 1:7 twist, two with 1:8 twist, another with somewhere between 1:12 and 1:14 from what I can google. One of those rifles has a problem with M855 (I think it is 855); it fails to extract about once every 50 rounds or so and partially tears the rim off.

Too many people do not test their guns with their ammo, at least not enough to be certain it will work all of the time. They put a couple mags thru it and call it good. Some assume that the gun will work with any ammo.

Buying ammunition is not an option for many of us over here, especially since we reload, for the most part, because of the cost. Sure, a few in our club buy factory stuff, mostly PPU for the common calibres, as it is by far the cheapest at around $108 per 100 for most common stuff like 7.5x55, 8x57 and .308Win - NOT match grade though.

I reload for all my centre-fires - 6.5x55, 7x57, 7.5x55, .308Win and .45-70 Govt and .38Spec/.357 Magnum, various loads for each, since I have multiples of most of them.

If I had to pay for factory ammunition then I would have to give up shooting all my centrefires - something I am not happy to do. Happily, in a way, I don't shoot game. Suitable top-grade ammunition for that from the likes of Norma and RWS goes well North of $300 per 100.

tac

Last Edited:
I have had outstanding results with the full PPU line up of ammo! Surprisingly, 10 MM auto are 180 gr hollow points, and they not only shoot very consistantly to P.O.I, they are very accurate, AND, they are loaded pretty hot! I'm hoping to see some tests of them for defensive carry use, but would have no problem using them as such now based on how they shoot! Got them on sale at Cabelas for $13:98 A box of 50 back in September, shot a few boxes, and went back and bought out the entire stock, 3000 rounds! Have shot across the croney yet, but they seem very consistent.
I also tried out three boxes of .308 win, and was so impressed, went back and bought 2 cases, and also bought a case of .30/06. Performance is about the same as Fed, blue box in the 165, 168, 180 bullet weights! I don't bother with .30 cal bullets under 165 gr. So i dont know how the 150s would do, but based on the performance i have experienced, I would say it' a pretty good bet the lighter stuff will do just fine!
For 5.56, the 69 and 77 gr loaded do very well, I have several cases of both, and shoot them almost exclusively in my Rifles! Accuracy is as good as any for a short barreled 1/8 Wylde chamber, and range with both is far beyond what I expected, giving me a consistent 600 meters, from a 12.3 inch tube! If that dosnt convince you, don' know what else will
7.62x39, i have found to be better then the cheep rusky stuff, and accuracy to be about as good as your likely to get from this chambering, so its the only choice for that one. My SKS does about 1-1/2 moa out to about 200 meters, then opens up to about 2.5 moa, about what I expect from that rifle, with the max range of about 400 meters!

In short, of all the cheaper bulk ammo, I would choose PPU over all the others, especially now, as the really good mil surp is all but gone! Most of their offerings are superior to mil surp, so you cannot go wrong!:)

I already have a case I bought about a year ago - probably from PSA (I would have to look it up).

PPU is less expensive than that.

I am going to buy in bulk, but I will buy a couple boxes first to see how well it works in my rifles.

It does not hurt to have several different kinds, especially when you have different rifles with different twist rates. I have six rifles in 5.56, three of which have the same 1:7 twist, two with 1:8 twist, another with somewhere between 1:12 and 1:14 from what I can google. One of those rifles has a problem with M855 (I think it is 855); it fails to extract about once every 50 rounds or so and partially tears the rim off.

Too many people do not test their guns with their ammo, at least not enough to be certain it will work all of the time. They put a couple mags thru it and call it good. Some assume that the gun will work with any ammo.

For 1:12 and 1:14 then 55gr is probably the maximum you can use. I do have a few magazines loaded with Black Hills 5.56mm 50gr TSX but it very expensive. I bought a few boxes since my first AR was a 1/9" twist. That was before I found Speer Gold Dot 64gr rounds. Much more affordable that the 50gr TSX.

Last Edited:
One thing about "ball", if you play your cards right and get actual mil-spec stuff (that won't drill through stuff out of your rifle unless you want it to) is that it is sealed with lacquer, front and backidy.
Not so with any other stuff that I know of, lest you do it yourself while handloading.

I use PRVI Partizan FMJBT 62 gr in my 5.56 & HPBT 147 gr in my 7.62 and have been very happy with the performance and quality of their products. I'm eager to try some of their 165 gr HPBT 7.62 and see how it performs.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads