JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking to stock up on defensive ammo (i.e., expanding soft point ammo - NOT FMJ) for 7.62x39, 7.62x51 and 5.56x45.

Since I am going to buy in bulk, and this is for semi-auto military style rifles, and I don't need the ammo to be MOA as most of the rifles will not be capable of that precision - I am looking for the best value while having some reliability.

I am leery of Tula/Wolf/et. al. as while they may always go bang, I am not sure of their projectiles being what they say they are. I have seen and experienced more than one instance of those manufacturers providing ammo that they claim is 'soft point'/et. al., when it isn't; it may have an exposed lead point but the jacket is bi-metal, thick and hard - it might as well be FMJ as it does not expand.

So I was looking at PPU ammo which seems to have actual expanding projectiles.

I was wondering if this is ammo I can trust?

I've had mixed results from it personally. Some of it grouped like a shotgun, while other times it did as could be expected for 5.56 Ammo.

I think federal is a better brand and better reputation. Your mileage may vary.

I bought 100 rnds of .223 69 gr. match when I was trying to find commercial ammo that would come close to my hand loads. They all held sub MOA. I know you want soft point and don't care about MOA, but it speaks well for their QC. I plan on buying in bulk to keep on hand. Can't go wrong for that price.

PPU/Prvi Partisan...7.62x39 Soft Point...My ammo of choice when I want quality brass-cased and boxer-primed ammo, and I don't want to spend lots of money for domestic ammo.

I've shot 4 different Mini 30's. Only one had a firing pin long enough to reliably ignite steel-cased commie ammo. At 26-bucks a box for domestic ammo, it made for an expensive plinker. Once I found the PPU ammo, and discovered it fired with 100% reliability in my Mini 30, I've never looked back. And there is nothing magnetic in this ammo.

9-bucks per box of twenty PPU Soft points compared to $26 per box of twenty Federal Soft Points. Makes the choice easier.

WAYNO.

Last Edited:
Last Edited:
I picked up 4 boxes of this Prvi Pwhatever in 10mm at a spectacularly good price. It was completely reliable and more accurate than most of the other factory stuff I had shot in a then-new pistol.

I have had very good luck with PPU ammo. Mostly .44, .357, .380 and 9mm. I also like their .223 69 and 75 grain grain match. My friend uses their .270 Winchester and swears by it. Expansion of magnum revolver HPs is certain from experience, but not sure about auto rounds like 9mm. I have looked on the internet for reviews of defensive use and expansion of 9mm and .380 without much luck. Fiocchi is another that falls into this category except for their Extrema XTPs, but they are not cheap. If you stick with soft point rifle rounds, you should be fine. Both PPU and Fiocchi have been making ammo longer than any of the US manufacturers. Also, PPU makes good brass for reloading.

I have also tried their 7.62x39 pointed soft point in my Ruger M77 with very good luck. Good groups at 100 yards. For me, that is 2 MOA or less with scoped rifle. I do not know much about their 7.62x51, but would have no doubts about their 5.56x45. I have some 5.56 but have not tried them yet.

Here, PPU provides ammunition in calibres that are virtually unheard of in the US of A. AND at a price-point that actually makes them affordable.

The brass - also sold in the USA as Grafs - is exceptional - I'm shooting eight-times reloaded 7.5x55 today.

It is THE .303 British, with the demise of the South African and Greek stuff that all the LE-shooters used to love, and almost exactly duplicates the original 174gr load from 1915.

Their Swiss schtuff, although it uses the correct 174gr bullet, too, is about 200fps slower than GP11, and it shows.

Buy it in good health - the only good thing to come out of Serbia for many years.

tac

PPU is in my opinion..i only shoot 10-30k rounds a year.. 3rd in quality behind Norma and Lapua. Its clean burning, Accurate, WAY higher quality brass then Rem, win, or federal. Ive shot Literally almost every caliber they offer and the only issue i ever had is with 243 necks being too thick for a old rem 700.

claim is 'soft point'/et. al., when it isn't; it may have an exposed lead point but the jacket is bi-metal, thick and hard - it might as well be FMJ as it does not expand..
Good thinking and good point but to be honest, I'd just get standard ball.. they have excellent terminal ballistics, unlike handgun ball. Just make sure your particular twist rate won't make a given weight act like a drill.

PPU is in my opinion..i only shoot 10-30k rounds a year.. 3rd in quality behind Norma and Lapua. Its clean burning, Accurate, WAY higher quality brass then Rem, win, or federal. Ive shot Literally almost every caliber they offer and the only issue i ever had is with 243 necks being too thick for a old rem 700.

I use Remington brass because that's what I started with by buying ammo, saving the cases and then buying more cases to match. I have no complaints with the brass, but I don't shoot mega rounds a year nor do I strive for benchrest accuracy. I do make very good hunting ammo that will shoot better n me and is consistent.
IF I ever wear out my existing inventory of brass, I think it would be prudent to buy a case of PPU ammo and start the process all over again.

Sure. There is better US made ammo. But it costs more and when the difference is ten cents per round and you are buying in bulk (1k+), it adds up: $100 can buy another 100-200+rounds.

I have a limited supply of JSP so I have some PMC X-TAC 55gr XP193 and some 62gr LAP Federal XM855 LC rounds.

Good thinking and good point but to be honest, I'd just get standard ball.. they have excellent terminal ballistics, unlike handgun ball. Just make sure your particular twist rate won't make a given weight act like a drill.

Some ball is ok, as some tumbles on impact and some fragments. I was watching a review of the 5.56 PPU 75 gr. match I think it was, and it expanded almost like a SP - but that was one bullet, he did not test more than that to see if they all expanded - it might have been a fluke.

I have ball ammo for rifle calibers, it will serve as practice/training ammo and a fallback if I run out of expanding ammo. For any of my self-defense rifles I have at least a battle pack of expanding ammo - such as Hornady TAP, Remington GD, Hornady SST.

But I want to stack deeper and I want to do it in bulk - I want to at least start with 1K of expanding ammo for each caliber, and work deeper every year. If SHTF a person could easily burn thru 1K of ammo in a firefight. I don't want to get into firefights and I might not survive a firefight but at least I do not want to run out of ammo in one.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top