JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
7mm rem mag. That's a bunch to make a list for from my book. Thought maybe some a you old timers would know what goes with what. Share the knowledgeo_O

Ok. Did a little research ( thanks DS, now I got a headache ) and looks like IMR 4064 will do a few of them? 22/250 338 wm and 308 if I decide to reload that.

Would the Longshot do casull?

7mm rem mag. That's a bunch to make a list for from my book. Thought maybe some a you old timers would know what goes with what. Share the knowledgeo_O

You really should be looking up load data for yourself, you don't know who is giving the advice a bunch of unknown people on the internet "not wise". It's a good way to have bad things happen, But to each their own!
Stacy

Segue from the topic a bit....

Asking load data, was mentioned above, however, I will offer this:

When you are Brand New in reloading, I was suggested, to stay with Just One Caliber, and Preferably a Straight Wall (Pistol or 45/70, etc...) Until you have the Basics down PAT.

Next, change to another powder.... Seeing the Loads being a different Shape in powder....

Then get into the Fine Tuning needs of Sizing rifle cartridges, with their shoulders and necks being ENTIRELY different sizing and even Reloading the powders!

Various reasons for all of above, but the first one is it is MUCH harder to make a sizing error on straight wall, and The Charging of powder is easier to see, so better chance of SAFETY.

IF you have a friend who reloads, ask them if you can shadow them in a reloading session.

A Great Book on All of Above, is from Lee Reloading which makes many fine products, to start out inexpensive, but His BOOK on how to start is worth Twice what he Charges for it!

Hope that Helps... And remember to journal your sessions, if needed you can refer back, and see issues...

philip

Very often, the container of powder itself will roughly state what cartridges it's good for. Powder manufacturers will also convey properties and uses of respective powders on their websites.
Then it's up to you to corroborate those rough suggestions via a loading manual to see if the overlap between your cartridges is acceptable to you.. for whatever reason.

I'm still fairly green to reloading and I spent months watching video after video, reading forums upon forums, buying manuals upon manuals (have 4 now) and spending $$$ compiling every piece I thought I might need before the first case was deprimed, sized, tumbled, etc..... I have a pretty extensive range of rifle calibers I wanted to reload for and bought the dies, cases, primers and powders I wanted to use for every single one. Even though it's all bought and ready to roll I'm starting with one single caliber and I have loads ready to roll. Unfortunately the fire danger has stopped my long range practice and I only have access currently to a 100 yard range. Guess what I'm trying to say is the subject matter is so vast that you need to slow down and really do some research and forget about finding a shortcut.....it's just to complicated IMHO.

Good luck and shoot straight.

All good advice. I really was just lookin for some universal powders but I see it would be better to just start with one cartridge. Get powder for that and get the hang of it. So I'll get the powder to do the 450 bushmaster as that looks like an easy one to load and I have the die set. When I get the hang of it I'll move on to others. I think slow down is good advice. Guess I was just looking at the whole reloading process wrong.

If not every, then nearly every major powder maker has a website now that includes load data for handloaders. The Hodgon site is especially handy since you can research 3 brands of powders at the same time. So, if you want to look at 10mm loads you can see recommended Hodgon, IMR, and Winchester powders all compared to each other on one page.

Looking up things by powder, rather than by cartridge does not work as well, but I imagine there are many more of us with a cartridge looking for a powder than there are with a powder looking for a cartridge. Being the contrarian that I am, sometimes I do that just to see --and then compare it to my manuals and Quick Load....keeps me off the streets ...........

Anyway Alliant, Vihtavuori, Norma and others have similar setups. BTW, if you want a burn rate chart that is easy to read and get useful info from, look at the Vihtavuori website.

Trick makes a very good point--I'll go further having been next to disasters twice now at the next bench. If you feel the need to shortcut the handloading process, then the activity is not for you. Do the rest of us a favor and buy loaded ammo on sale and keep the splinters from flying when the eventual mysterious kaboom (99.99999% of which are double charge or wrong powder loads by shortcutters) goes off at the range. If you have no patience, then listen to your Mom--"You'll put your eye out with that thing!"

Last Edited:
We all know what you're trying to do and good for you.. however, it takes some diligence and research and only you must assume your own personal responsibility.
Me, I use BL-C(2) and Reloader-15 to do all my specific rifle cartridges (and either of those will do all my specific rifle cartridges) and mainly one pistol powder.. which will load most anything that goes bang, rifle, shotgun, pistol.. within its humble and strict parameters of course.
I've generally got about five powders... three being for handgun though as I kinda said, I could easily get by with just two for everything I do.

When you are Brand New in reloading, I was suggested, to stay with Just One Caliber, and Preferably a Straight Wall (Pistol or 45/70, etc...) Until you have the Basics down PAT.

Some solid bubblegum advice right there.

READ THIS: http://www.amazon.com/ABCs-Reloadin...d=1440208810&sr=8-6&keywords=basics+reloading

AND THIS: http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision...F8&qid=1440208908&sr=8-1&keywords=richard+lee

All of it, even the parts you think don't apply.

To start with, choose ONE cartridge, ONE bullet weight, and ONE (appropriate) powder.

Keep your work area clean, no distractions.

STORE (YES, I'M SHOUTING!) YOUR PISTOL & RIFLE POWDERS IN SEPARATE AREAS.

ONLY THE POWDER YOUR CURRENTLY RELOADING WITH SHOULD BE VISIBLE FROM YOUR RELOADING BENCH.

DO NOT TRUST WHAT YOUR READ ON SOME FORUM - VERIFY!

If you don't have a chrono, get one.

I started 2 1/2 years ago with 168gr SMKs & 8208 XBR - hundreds (literally) of hours reading later I'm loading eight different calibers, dozens of bullet styles & weights, and use 35 different (unnecessary and excessive, but I like to experiment) powders.

Ask for help, and you'll receive, just verify the advice ;)

Some solid bubblegum advice right there.

READ THIS: http://www.amazon.com/ABCs-Reloadin...d=1440208810&sr=8-6&keywords=basics+reloading

AND THIS: http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision...F8&qid=1440208908&sr=8-1&keywords=richard+lee

All of it, even the parts you think don't apply.

To start with, choose ONE cartridge, ONE bullet weight, and ONE (appropriate) powder.

Keep your work area clean, no distractions.

STORE (YES, I'M SHOUTING!) YOUR PISTOL & RIFLE POWDERS IN SEPARATE AREAS.

ONLY THE POWDER YOUR CURRENTLY RELOADING WITH SHOULD BE VISIBLE FROM YOUR RELOADING BENCH.

DO NOT TRUST WHAT YOUR READ ON SOME FORUM - VERIFY!

If you don't have a chrono, get one.

I started 2 1/2 years ago with 168gr SMKs & 8208 XBR - hundreds (literally) of hours reading later I'm loading eight different calibers, dozens of bullet styles & weights, and use 35 different (unnecessary and excessive, but I like to experiment) powders.

Ask for help, and you'll receive, just verify the advice ;)

Very Exquisite Advise!

And we'll done.

So tell me, .... I am reloading my 20mm Lahti rounds, for my Custom Made Thompson/Contender Pistol... Do you think uhh... Or, ahh Should I... For less Recoil!

:s0111: The 20mm Lahti barrel on a T/C Pistol, is an old joke of mine on another forum... The err players included a man who used an Armored Wheel Barrel, and a wiener doggie... But we Mustn't say his name... Or Ocean Ducks will fly over us and drop Poo Poo bombs!!!

philip. Keep your RELOADING BENCH Clean, CLEAN I Say... Because, it's best that way... And beverages can be Water, or Water, On the Rocks, but never with anything that rhymes with BaccaHall....:s0105:

As stated above - best to read through some reloading manuals to find good data. If you do your research you will find that often one powder will cover multiple cals. You will also likely find that every gun has it's sweet spot for accuracy - it isn't always the hottest or mildest load that proves most accurate in your weapon (more so in rifles than pistols imo). Some powders are more consistent over a broader temperature range than others, and some easier to measure out than others.
That said, for heavier bullets (220 -230 gr) in a 300 win mag H1000 tends to be a go to favorite among long range shooters and from most that I have read most 300 win mags tend to be most accurate closer to the hotter end of the load range. Remember - always work up your loads from the lower end of the loads offered in the book. As people before said, read some of the suggested manuals before you get started.

Good luck to you and be safe.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads