JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_d1R0Kz2z9zDSrzSQA_5LD2H5SnbNxlNaycL4h-_5p6DOWrQr.jpg

I have not loaded any SS .223 because it is of very limited use. Yes I know it is possible but what advantage does it have over .22lr?

Then you also run a high risk of a squib round in your gun.

So move this to the reload section and they'll tell you to cut the powder in half and go from there.

But I'm with NWcid,just use a 22lr subsonic.

Hope this helps hahaha

Sorry couldn't help it

that is no help at all.but thanks anyway

It was not meant to be a joke or of no point. I was trying to warn you of some of the pitfalls of loading SS ammo in a .223 and why it is not commonly done. But I guess if you want to post up later wondering how you blew your gun up and we suggest a squib was the most likely cause you can do that as well..................

The most common name for .223 SS is .22............

Reading comprehension is a skill it appears you need. I know why Midway sells it. I know how to make it. I know where the resources for it are. I load lots of SS ammo for my other suppressed calibers.

Good luck with your search and finding help with that kind of attitude. I know I will refrain from more contact with you.

The bullet weights available for .223 makes no sense to me to run it subsonic. That's what 300 Blackout is for. Given the option to do it all over again, I wouldn't even buy a 5.56/.223 can. Now that's my opinion, here are some facts...

No one I have worked with on subsonic loads would ever suggest shooting them out of a barrel that long. Fast powders and short barrels are recommended. You will achieve 1000 fps just fine in a 16" barrel (or a 10" for that matter) and run less risk of a squib or stuck projectile. The length of that barrel will have you chasing pressures around just to get the bullet out of the barrel that slow. Case volume is the other issue, fast pistol type powders are typically bulky, therefore fill the case better. Not filling the case enough can lead to secondary explosive effect (SEE). I suggest you look it up. So not that you can't shoot .223 subsonic, just approach it with lots of info.

And BTW I agree with Nwcid, shoot .22LR and get the same results safer.

I think everything said above is true and makes a lot of sense. But I sense in you a desire to explore and see by yourself. If you are not yet discouraged, I have a few recommendations for you:

1. Try cast bullets. May work better at subsonic speeds than jacketed on a long barrel. And, if you get a squib in that long barrel or yours, it will be easier to extract. Try Beartooth bullets 60gr SP. Note: A lot of people will jump in here saying that you risk leading your can. That might be true, maybe not. The fact you are shooting out of a long barrel may actually help you. Just don't shoot too many. And, if the can gets leaded, it is not the end of the world. Google up how they can be cleaned or ask your can manufacturer how to clean it. But do it at your own risk.
2. To avoid the whole-cast-bullet-thru-can controversy, I'd probably not even bother attaching the can. It so happens that the barrel is soooo long that it will act as a suppressor, cooling down the expanding gases before exiting thru the muzzle. The report coming out of it won't be much louder than 22LR.
3. Try Trailboss. I did the exercise with 223rem a few years ago and my notes show 8gr of Trailboss as the max load w/o compression. Oh, yes, you should never compress Trailboss. Chamber pressures increase very steeply when you compress Trailboss. So I'd start at around 8gr and work the load down until you get subsonic speeds. Trailboss is so bulky you do not need to worry about SEE.
4. Try the heaviest bullet you can get your hands on. I tried a 75gr HPBT once in my AR-15 with Trailboss. My notes show the 75gr keyholed at approx 989fps fired thru a 1:7 twist 16" bbl.

But the heavier/longer bullets will bring with them another problem. If your rifle does not a very fast twist rate, bullets will not stabilize. With subsonics and long bullets, 1:7 will be best. If your bolt does not have at least 1:8, don't even bother. I am very pessimistic any bullets will stabilize with 1:9 or slower and you will risk a baffle strike.

I did some 223Rem work a few years ago and as soon as I got some data collected, I dropped it. I did it as a curiosity, but it really does not make sense.

Couple of link you might enjoy:
Reflex Suppressors
https://beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR