JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I was thinking of picking up Ryan Cleckners long range shooting handbook. Would this be a good resource to learn about moa, mil, dots and the theory of shooting and the math?

I agree with Steel Head about finding plenty of good free info on YouTube and forums but I have also heard lots of people quote these books

Like others have mentioned I think this series did a great job of outlining LR shooting but take it with a grain of salt. T-Rex is very knowledgeable but also seems to be a little bought and paid for in some ways.

Watch "SNIPER 101 Part 1 - Introduction - Rex Reviews" on YouTube

All the way upto advanced! I've followed it through the whole series and i have hits past a mile and impacts on soda can sized targets out to just under 1200 yards following his advanced ballistics sections
I personally think he leaves a lot to be desired for advanced shooters but definitely a great source for beginners.

These first two are from my 16" 308 AR, 10 shot groups at 100 yards. Neither are great. The first one is 175 SMK and the second is 168 AMAX. I see a little better potential from the 168's. I really haven't tried to work up a load for this gun yet. I have just been trying loads I already have for my bolt gun. No signs of pressure from either so maybe just a little fine tuning is in order. I haven't been shooting much lately and only have about 170 rounds down the barrel of this gun so I am not going to completely blame the gun or the load for the poor groups just yet.

65B5B5A8-2D57-43FB-AA2B-546DFE637B29_1_201_a.jpeg

1DFD1B4B-D84A-434C-A002-6E5E14A98F10_1_201_a.jpeg

The next is from my 6.5 CM today. Not bad, really close to MOA for a 11 shot group. A4E6F51B-FD76-49B3-8DA8-667D84973497_1_201_a.jpeg

And finally from my Tikka T1x in 17 HMR. This gun is just fun to shoot. Less than MOA at 100 yards for a 10 shot group. Yes, it could be better but I am going to blame that on the shooter. :)

1DCE4DC6-9D62-4E43-A8D8-67DC49DBD2C1_1_201_a.jpeg

After I browned the barrel on my .50 cal., I put the sights back on. Then I dropped a laser cartridge down the barrel and adjusted the sights to the spot it made on my garage wall.o_O This is 5 rounds 170 gr RB and 5 rounds 310 gr. Maxi-Ball @ 50 yards. with 50 gr. of FFG. :)I'm happy. Next range trip, it will be @100 yards with 60 gr. of FFG. And bigger targets. These are too hard to see.
Maxi-balls sm.jpg Round-balls sm.jpg

These first two are from my 16" 308 AR, 10 shot groups at 100 yards. Neither are great. The first one is 175 SMK and the second is 168 AMAX. I see a little better potential from the 168's. I really haven't tried to work up a load for this gun yet. I have just been trying loads I already have for my bolt gun. No signs of pressure from either so maybe just a little fine tuning is in order. I haven't been shooting much lately and only have about 170 rounds down the barrel of this gun so I am not going to completely blame the gun or the load for the poor groups just yet.

View attachment 656395

View attachment 656396

The next is from my 6.5 CM today. Not bad, really close to MOA for a 11 shot group. View attachment 656397

And finally from my Tikka T1x in 17 HMR. This gun is just fun to shoot. Less than MOA at 100 yards for a 10 shot group. Yes, it could be better but I am going to blame that on the shooter. :)

View attachment 656398
Not bad my friend. Actually your AR10 308 is not doing bad at all. That barrel isn't even broke in yet. My damn AR10 Armalite shoots consistent 1.6 moa groups. I have tried so many different combos that I finally just gave in to the belief that that's all the better its going to do. Keep working with yours, I'm hoping it surprises you. However, if you get yours down to an honest and consistent 1.5 moa shooter, I'd be happy with it...

Made a quick trip to the range during the Super Bowl to see how my new X-Cal. barrel likes 178 ELD-M bullets over H4895. I am very pleased with the 4-shot groups it printed at 100yds. My muzzle velocity was a little slow but I don't have much experience with H4895 so I am going to let it ride until summer temps arrive. All loads were seated .010 off the lands.

Best 4 groups pictured, the rest were sub-moa also. A kid a few benches down landed a stray .22lr bullet in my third target lol.

20200203_055539.jpg

Wife and I took our guns to the indoor range today. Her target is on top and mine is the bottom one. We used the same guns (Taurus G2c's), hers has no laser and mine does. Unfortunately I forgot my laser adjustment tool. We won't win any shooting competitions......

IMG_2120.JPG IMG_2121.JPG

Not bad my friend. Actually your AR10 308 is not doing bad at all. That barrel isn't even broke in yet. My damn AR10 Armalite shoots consistent 1.6 moa groups. I have tried so many different combos that I finally just gave in to the belief that that's all the better its going to do. Keep working with yours, I'm hoping it surprises you. However, if you get yours down to an honest and consistent 1.5 moa shooter, I'd be happy with it...
The grouping is inspiring.

I built one a little over a year ago, but have yet to get many rounds down range. It's zero'd at 100yds, to an Aimpoint Comp M4 and is very accurate with Fed 168 SMK. There's a story with my build. That being, I picked up a Vortex Viper PSTII 5-25x50 w/Defender caps and throw lever, riding in a Larue C.A.N. mount, that's (been for 9 months post build) sitting patiently for distance. No hurry right.

ETA
After thoughts have been to buy an ACOG

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads