JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was having a discussion with a friend last night and thought I'd ask people's opinion. Based on sb 941 going through, does anyone think used guns will go down in price. Before, it was worth buying used, and not having to deal with the paperwork. But now it's just the same as buying new. Obviously models out of production are not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the used gun that I could buy new up the street for a close price. Where is the incentive to buy used anymore?
Just curious what people thought.

I don't foresee a huge jump in either direction. Occasionally you'll find a SMOKING deal in a private transaction, but unless you beat the crud out of it or are selling a POS, firearms (in general) hold their value WAY better than automobiles.

I've watched the Washington Classified and I haven't noticed any real price fluctuations one way or the other, as a matter of fact I think activity is increasing again. Like everything that is bought and sold, market demand and peoples' perceptions of value will drive prices.

As for me, buying private was never about the "hassle" of paperwork because I'm as "clean" as fresh mountain snow. It's about gun registration by the government, and make no mistake, they're building a database. Now they've added private transactions to their lists.

I don't buy used guns (collectables excluded) unless they are a deal now. I can't think this is going to add to their value. Right now, BiMart has a 10/22 for $189 and someone here is selling one slightly different for $225 which is regular price at BiMart.

When I sell guns I want to get what I can, but for a used gun, I just can't justify the price that people ask these days.

As for me, buying private was never about the "hassle" of paperwork because I'm as "clean" as fresh mountain snow. It's about gun registration by the government, and make no mistake, they're building a database. Now they've added private transactions to their lists.

I have to agree here. Registration has no purpose other than confiscation in the long run.

unless you beat the crud out of it or are selling a POS, firearms (in general) hold their value WAY better than automobiles.

Exactly the points I'm thinking of.
#1 firearms don't depreciate the way other things do. So used guns for sale are usually close in price to a new one.

The hard to find stuff will still fetch a premium, that's basic economics, but like Goosebrown says, that 10/22 is even cheaper new.

#2 now the government has their fingers in private sales. There is no longer a way to avoid their snooping, data collection, horse bubblegum. It used to be that I'd gladly buy under the table to stay below the radar, even at a close price to new. But now, I see very little reason to, unless prices go down.

In WA post 594, the used handgun market has diminished greatly because people seem to have decided that if the gun is going to be registered they may as well buy a new one to avoid the transfer fee. There are a few folks who have guns that were initially purchased before 594 went into effect who will sell them to someone they know with a pre 594 dated receipt.
All in all, the used gun market values have dropped unless you have a higher value sought after weapon like Snake guns.

I don't agree. First with the used 10/22s we all know the older ones are built better and are made from all metal, not plastic. So using that as an example is not really comparing something like a private party Smith revolver to a dealer Smith revolver that are both used. Or the same scenario with used glocks. Secondly, the state is the one requiring the paperwork. Not the Feds. The only thing attaching you to a gun is the paperwork you fill out (the 4473), not some data base the State of Oregon is building behind the backs of the Feds. It's purely a revenue bill and they want their cut if a gun is going to be sold in their state.

Dude, you haven't read SB941 very deeply then. Of course it's about the revenue (isn't it ALWAYS with government?), but the OSP holds onto that purchaser and weapon info info (supposedly) for 5-yrs. Do you know how computer data is managed? It's copied and backed up, upon backup, upon backup, upon backup. You ever go through your computers files? Short of a physical destruction and magnetic degaussing you would NEVER completely selectively delete a file you want disappeared. Government computer databases are FOREVER.

Also, haven't you heard of all the incidents of the ATF going in and copying all of a FFL's 4473's? We have an organized and orcastrated movement by government quislings and wealthy elitists slowly building a machine to systematically strip U.S. Citizens of their weapons. If you refuse to see it, there's no helping you at this point in the process.

Prices increasing or decreasing isn't as big a concern as SB315. If SB315 makes it through in its current version, it will modify the brand new SB941 to make you responsible if a gun you sell is used in a crime - even if the seller passed the required background check, and even if they sold it again after buying it from you. This is according to OFF's email this week. If this is true, I can say it's unlikely I'll ever sell a gun in a private transaction to anyone but a family member.

But I have to say they're doing all they can to encourage people to ignore SB941. So now, even if your buyer passes a background check, you'd still be liable if it's used in a crime. So why the hell would I ever make a private sale to anyone? If this really is what will happen under SB941 combined with SB315, I'm guessing private sales will all go underground and no one will run the paperwork - so there will be no trail to tie folks back to those guns.

What a big cluster bubblegum.

I will miss private sales - it was a great way to try out different guns and move them on if I didn't like them. Soon my collection will stop it's growth and I'll simply hold with what I have on hand at that time. I can't believe so many Oregonians continue to vote for people that are screwing us this hard.

Prices increasing or decreasing isn't as big a concern as SB315. If SB315 makes it through in its current version, it will modify the brand new SB941 to make you responsible if a gun you sell is used in a crime - even if the seller passed the required background check, and even if they sold it again after buying it from you. This is according to OFF's email this week. If this is true, I can say it's unlikely I'll ever sell a gun in a private transaction to anyone but a family member.

But I have to say they're doing all they can to encourage people to ignore SB941. So now, even if your buyer passes a background check, you'd still be liable if it's used in a crime. So why the hell would I ever make a private sale to anyone? If this really is what will happen under SB941 combined with SB315, I'm guessing private sales will all go underground and no one will run the paperwork - so there will be no trail to tie folks back to those guns.

What a big cluster bubblegum.

This is totally bogus and false information that you have posted here. Where did you hear such nonsense?

You should never automatically believe things that you see on the Internet. This bill has never had any such provisions in it that you describe.

SB315 is all about reporting data on the sale of used guns to the state by businesses that sell guns. If a person is not a firearms dealer, they are not included in this reporting program.

The bill shows that our State government definitely wants to track gun sales, and store data about them. That data would come in real handy later, if the state ever decides to impose gun registration at some point.

There is certainly nothing in SB315 to make anyone responsible for crimes committed by guns that they have sold.

In the future, you should do some research and actually read bills, before commenting on them. Info on bills in the Oregon legislature can be very easily looked up online:

https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2015R1/Measures/Overview/SB315

The bill has already past the Senate, and is now in the House Judiciary Committee.

This is totally bogus and false information that you have posted here. Where did you hear such nonsense?

You should never automatically believe things that you see on the Internet. This bill has never had any such provisions in it that you describe.

SB315 is all about reporting data on the sale of used guns to the state by businesses that sell guns. If a person is not a firearms dealer, they are not included in this reporting program.

The bill shows that our State government definitely wants to track gun sales, and store data about them. That data would come in real handy later, if the state ever decides to impose gun registration at some point.

There is certainly nothing in SB315 to make anyone responsible for crimes committed by guns that they have sold.

In the future, you should do some research and actually read bills, before commenting on them. Info on bills in the Oregon legislature can be very easily looked up online:

The bill has already past the Senate, and is now in the House Judiciary Committee.

Ease up there Lance. I got the info directly off a mailing from OFF. So if you're pissed, call Kevin Starret out.

As I stated above "if this is true", because I didn't know for certain if it was. I never stated it as fact.

Was having a discussion with a friend last night and thought I'd ask people's opinion. Based on sb 941 going through, does anyone think used guns will go down in price. Before, it was worth buying used, and not having to deal with the paperwork. But now it's just the same as buying new. Obviously models out of production are not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the used gun that I could buy new up the street for a close price. Where is the incentive to buy used anymore?
Just curious what people thought.

Well, keep in mind that SB 941 does not go into effect until August 8th. So I cannot see prices dropping yet. If anything, maybe that will increase slightly for the next two months.

Revisit this question in Sept, and maybe by then people will be noticing changes.

Directly from the email OFF sent out regarding SB315 they sent out on June 2nd:

But wait, there is no explanation for the 7 day limit. There is no clarification of a process for returning the firearm. There is no mention of what happens if the gun is not returned "on time." And, the amendment says that if you conduct a background check, and if the person to whom you are loaning the firearm PASSES the background check, and that person uses the gun in a crime, you face the same penalty as if you had not done the check at all! You face the same penalty if the police approve the person and he turns out to be a prohibited person! We are not making this up.

BOLD emphasis is theirs, not mine.

I didn't misunderstand something on the Internet. I've normally taken Kevin at his word. Again, if you want to jump on someone, I suggest you call Kevin and ream him instead of me.

I apologize, as I am the one with Egg on my Face now. The House Judiciary Committee has indeed approved an amendment a couple of days ago that would make it a Class A Misdemeanor crime if the gun is later used in a crime.

It looks like this bill is indeed being used to modify SB 941. Since the Senate did not approve this new amendment, this new language will have to go back to the Senate to be approved there again too.

Sorry, I am the one that is clearly mistaken, and you do appear to be correct about this. I did not dig deeper into the fine details, and look at this latest amendment from the past week. But I found it here at this link. Look at pages 4 and 5 to see this provision:

https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2015R1/Downloads/ProposedAmendment/7307

egg-on-face.jpg

Perhaps you will be right about the future. Come August 8th, no one will be selling their guns to other private people anymore.

It looks like the Antis are trying to quietly slip this in via this amendment. This claim sounded so outrageous when you mentioned it, that when I saw nothing in the bill about this, I assumed that you had been given some bad information.

I guess that we should not really be surprised, though.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top