JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I apologize, as I am the one with Egg on my Face now. The House Judiciary Committee has indeed approved an amendment a couple of days ago that would make it a Class A Misdemeanor crime if the gun is later used in a crime.

It looks like this bill is indeed being used to modify SB 941. Since the Senate did not approve this new amendment, this new language will have to go back to the Senate to be approved there again too.

Sorry, I am the one that is clearly mistaken, and you do appear to be correct about this. I did not dig deeper into the fine details, and look at this latest amendment from the past week. But I found it here at this link. Look at pages 4 and 5 to see this provision:

https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2015R1/Downloads/ProposedAmendment/7307

egg-on-face.jpg

Perhaps you will be right about the future. Come August 8th, no one will be selling their guns to other private people anymore.

It looks like the Antis are trying to quietly slip this in via this amendment. This claim sounded so outrageous when you mentioned it, that when I saw nothing in the bill about this, I assumed that you had been given some bad information.

I guess that we should not really be surprised, though.

No worries, water under the bridge.

I do hope it doesn't pass in that form though. As I said before, if it does, I'll likely be done with private sales at that point. And that's a real bummer :(

I apologize, as I am the one with Egg on my Face now. The House Judiciary Committee has indeed approved an amendment a couple of days ago that would make it a Class A Misdemeanor crime if the gun is later used in a crime.

It looks like this bill is indeed being used to modify SB 941. Since the Senate did not approve this new amendment, this new language will have to go back to the Senate to be approved there again too.

Sorry, I am the one that is clearly mistaken, and you do appear to be correct about this. I did not dig deeper into the fine details, and look at this latest amendment from the past week. But I found it here at this link. Look at pages 4 and 5 to see this provision:

https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2015R1/Downloads/ProposedAmendment/7307

egg-on-face.jpg

Perhaps you will be right about the future. Come August 8th, no one will be selling their guns to other private people anymore.

It looks like the Antis are trying to quietly slip this in via this amendment. This claim sounded so outrageous when you mentioned it, that when I saw nothing in the bill about this, I assumed that you had been given some bad information.

I guess that we should not really be surprised, though.
Best post I have seen in a while, man who is willing to admit being wrong. On the internet no less. Wish there were more like you, and hope I do the right thing next time I'm wrong[emoji106]

No worries, water under the bridge.

I do hope it doesn't pass in that form though. As I said before, if it does, I'll likely be done with private sales at that point. And that's a real bummer :(

I am speechless myself. Making criminals out of former owners of guns, even if they follow the law? Punishing them for crimes committed by other people? And a class A misdemeanor? That is the punishment for crimes like 2nd degree theft, 4th degree Assault, and DUI.

What is the logic in doing that? It would seem that they are trying to do away with private sales entirely.

I am speechless myself. Making criminals out of former owners of guns, even if they follow the law? Punishing them for crimes committed by other people? And a class A misdemeanor? That is the punishment for crimes like 2nd degree theft, 4th degree Assault, and DUI.

What is the logic in doing that? It would seem that they are trying to do away with private sales entirely.

When I first read it, I was floored. If it hadn't come from OFF, I don't know that I would have believed it myself. If this clears the house (I'll be surprised if it doesn't), then they will have succeeded in making potential criminals out of all of us.

Lying a$$es the whole lot of them. Saying they didn't want a registration - lie. Saying they weren't going after our guns - lie.

We need every single gun owner in Oregon to vote on a single issue in 2016, regardless of their party or political affiliation. Maybe, just maybe, we can get some of this legislation turned around.

We need every single gun owner in Oregon to vote on a single issue in 2016, regardless of their party or political affiliation. Maybe, just maybe, we can get some of this legislation turned around.

Support the recalls and OFF in the meantime, and unseating the unelected Governor!
https://causes.anedot.com/general-fund-c1c6e6847593edd38a329
<broken link removed>
<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

http://www.oregonfirearms.org/join-support-off

And the latest!! Prozanski Recall!!

BTW as to the thread topic Post SB941 used firearm value.

Used, meeting at a gun shop to transfer a common nothing special firearm.....
Prices will have to reflect depreciation of being used as well as subtracting fees and cost of all the hassle.

If a person can buy it new for the same or near same price as used, he will.

Used back alley unregistered/untraceable back to seller firearms sold post SB941 illegally????

I don't know. The price could go down or up. Two scenarios:

Your neighbor has a cheap beat up OLD .22 no name revolver he says he's had for decades in his attic and asks if you want it but will deny he ever gave it to you if asked. Yeah!!!!:s0133:

Sleazy meth head has a cheap beat up OLD .22 no name revolver he says is untraceable cause he stole it from his old grandpa's attic where it's been sitting for decades. His grandpa doesn't even know it's gone he says.

Some thug might pay a premium $175 or $200 for that same .22 that after fees, gas etc. might net the seller legally $20 after the GS transfer.

Either way, this law is stupid and only hurts law abiding. Guns have always been and always will be able to be obtained by bad guys who have money or are willing to steal them.

I read the statute. It says the transferor will commit a Class A Misdemeanor if the temporarily transferred firearm is used in the commission of a crime. It does not say that in the case of a permanent transfer a Class A Misdemeanor will result if the permanently transferred firearm is used in the commission of a crime.

I read the statute. It says the transferor will commit a Class A Misdemeanor if the temporarily transferred firearm is used in the commission of a crime. It does not say that in the case of a permanent transfer a Class A Misdemeanor will result if the permanently transferred firearm is used in the commission of a crime.

You know, it looks like you are indeed right about this. This language appears to only apply to temporary transfers.

So it is not at all as bad as we first though.

People will now really have to think twice about loaning a gun to someone.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top