JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that... :(
Thanks.
It's sad - but the pay off was worth it.
Wouldn't have missed a single day with either of them.
Apparently the pup and cat were tighter than we knew.
He was depressed more than we expected after the old man passed.

Last Edited:
My wife and I have been married 48 years.
We have always had a pooch, or two or three in our home.
Last year our little girl Anna died from age and related back problems.
It was the first time we were ever without a dog in our home.
Then we moved 2000 miles east in April.

12 days ago this little stinker entered our lives.
His name is P.B. He is a rat terrier, 4.5 years old and an absolute joy.
He is so full of energy I expect him to explode from spontaneous combustion.
We made an appointment and an application to a rescue organization and after
a visit he came home with us.
It is so nice to have 4 little feet cruising our home once again.

0907201411a_resized.jpg

Thanks, I rescued him from a bad situation 4 years ago he was a happy cat
and would walk on a leash he though he was a dog lol.
I had a cat like that many years back. He would come when you whistled, would play fetch with you, and would walk at heel.
I named him Fido, cuz I felt like he was a dog trapped in a cat's body.
But I couldn't spell the name for this cat like you'd spell it for a dog (F-I-D-O), cuz that just wouldn't do for a cat...
So, I named him Phydeaux... pronounced the way Inspector Clouseau from the Pink Panther movies would say "Fido"...
Phydeaux.JPG
He became known as the "Pirate Kitty" later in his life, after he got scratched in the eye during a fight with another cat. Over time, his iris turned from green to red, and he ultimately went blind in that eye. To prevent the cat scratch fever (yes, it's a real thing) from migrating to his other eye, I had the doc remove his infected eye, insert a silicone ball for shape, and sewed his eyelid shut. He lived on for several more years after that, but eventually developed a cataract in his only eye. He went fully blind in 2010, and ultimately died the day after New Year's Day in 2012, just a couple months before I deployed to Kandahar. I really miss that kitty...

RIP Phydeaux, ~2004 - January 2, 2012

Last Edited:
My other boy, Binks, aka Potato, aka Littles. We almost lost him a couple times, first to a virus, then to repeated UTIs (they can kill male cats), and due to the amount of money spent on him (seriously, about 10k after interest) he is 100% the reason I have not put a down payment on a house. He snuck into our apartment one day as a kitten, and I found him, covered in bugs, passed out on a chair. The wife said he was not allowed in the bed, and that's where he went, immediately. He is my best pal.
744D09D6-DF24-464E-B799-158C34B677A0.jpeg

My other boy, Binks, aka Potato, aka Littles. We almost lost him a couple times, first to a virus, then to repeated UTIs (they can kill male cats), and due to the amount of money spent on him (seriously, about 10k after interest) he is 100% the reason I have not put a down payment on a house. He snuck into our apartment one day as a kitten, and I found him, covered in bugs, passed out on a chair. The wife said he was not allowed in the bed, and that's where he went, immediately. He is my best pal.
View attachment 770394

Urinary blockage and kidney failure is what happened to PJ vet said $3500 and he might not make it.

Urinary blockage and kidney failure is what happened to PJ vet said $3500 and he might not make it.
I'm sorry to hear it, it's a tough thing to see.
Luckily our guy was pretty young, and the benefits outweighed the risks. They had to flush his kidneys after removing the blockage, then give him a surgery that converted him to a shemale. Set him up so that he could pass most any blockage. He was maybe 2 at the time, doc said he wouldn't see 5 if we didn't get him the surgery. He's seven now.

As an adult, my first cat showed up on my windowsill one snowy December night back in 1993. Initially, he wouldn't let me "check him out" to see what gender he was so I could name him, so I called him Trango temporarily, after the Trango Towers in the Himalaya, which are also known as The Nameless Towers. Since he looked to be a Himalayan and I was into mountaineering then, it seemed to fit. I figured that I would eventually name him something different after I learned his gender... After I got him to a vet and had nine of his decayed teeth removed and found out he was a him, the name had stuck by then.

Years later, he developed CRF (chronic renal failure). The vet, a woman, gave him six months to live. He lived for over a year and a half after she said that, complete with special foods and meds, uncountable vet visits, and sub-cutaneous Ringers IVs administered 3X per day by Yours Truly. After he died, which was a heart-wrenching and yet heartwarming event all in one, I asked the vet, "Why only six months?" After a long pause, she embarrassingly admitted, "I didn't give him very long because... you're a guy."

ETA: some pics. Only ones I have are all hard copies from the last century.
Pardon the red-eye and photo quality for taking a pic of a pic.
Trango.03.JPG
Trango.01.JPG
Christmas 1998:
Trango.02.jpg
My little buddy Trango came to me when he was about 8 years old, according to the vet that pulled all those rotted teeth.
That was in December 1993. He lived with me, then me and my GF, and then the GF became the wife (now the ex-wife).
Trango would never let anyone hold him except me. Not even the GF turned wife, until...

The night before he died, the missus and I were watching TV on the couch. Trango got up from my lap, and moved to lay in my wife's lap.
We both turned to look at each other with astonishment on our faces, since this was a first-ever event.
He laid in her lap for about an hour or more. My wife didn't want to move, since this was such a big (and new) thing.
Eventually, Trango got up and curled up in the cushions at the end of the couch. We got up and went to bed.
The wife always got up really early, and the next morning, the wife comes in to the bedroom and says, "You need to come and see this..."
Trango was lying on the couch, in the exact same position as he was when we went to bed. He was gone...
And yet, before he left us, he had the compassion to say "goodbye" to not just me, but to my wife as well. I'll never forget that.
Chokes me up, 19 years later, as I write this...

RIP Trango, ca 1985 - December 1993 (with someone else)/December 1993 - November 2001 (with me)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top