JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Gift to family first!
Gift/sell to friends second.
Sell to willing buyers third.

An FFL estate sale could be orginized with a willing pawn shop or FFL willing to do transfers (if they get a cut as well) Im quite sure someone would do such a thing.

Truthfully if you headed it up for him/her you could probably sell off his collection on here and get more money than simply selling to a gun shop or pawn shop.

Its worth a shot.. as death usually leaves a financial wake behind. If its a quick sell time issue Id understand.

I have a will leaving many of my firearms to my close family. Strict orders to keep family firearms within the family. My tactical nonsense they can sell off for all I care.. but my Grandfathers firearms will always stay within the family.

Say your folks live in another state. You live in Oregon. You're legal to buy firearms in Oregon. Your dad passes away, and mom says, "which of his guns would you like to have"? You pick the ones you want - all legal for you to own in Oregon. Can you legally haul them back to Oregon without a BGC?

After your dad's will is probated by the estate court!

My son takes it for granted that he will inherit all my firearms. The only problem for him is that he lives in WA. He can't own full auto in that state unless he has the correct FFL. I will probably sell those specific guns unless something changes. He can have the rest.

Then you might consider the trust methodology with notice in your will.

Seriously I have a gun trust in place and it has in it what should be done if anything were to happen to me.

That is what we did too. Our trust spells out where the firearms go in various scenarios.

Beyond that, I would dump run-of-the-mill guns on Gunbroker or a site like this. For anything expensive, rare, exotic, or transferable machine-guns, they need to be appraised, and probably should be handled by an auction house that specializes in such items.

That is what we did too. Our trust spells out where the firearms go in various scenarios.

Beyond that, I would dump run-of-the-mill guns on Gunbroker or a site like this. For anything expensive, rare, exotic, or transferable machine-guns, they need to be appraised, and probably should be handled by an auction house that specializes in such items.

I think a gun trust is the only way to go. I wanted to make sure that things were as simple as possible for those I leave behind.

I think a gun trust is the only way to go. I wanted to make sure that things were as simple as possible for those I leave behind.

For a trust, do the trustees need to go through a background check and such for each firearm placed into the trust? Or just once? Can folks be added in (and likewise removed) from a trust over time?

How does it work-in simple non lawyer-speak terms. Mind, in our case it would be strictly regular (non-NFA) handguns and long guns.

Thanks!

For a trust, do the trustees need to go through a background check and such for each firearm placed into the trust? Or just once? Can folks be added in (and likewise removed) from a trust over time?

How does it work-in simple non lawyer-speak terms. Mind, in our case it would be strictly regular (non-NFA) handguns and long guns.

Thanks!

I got my trust set up from Sporting Systems because they have the best one I could find. No one goes through a back ground except me even for NFA items. I can add and delete people from the trust as I see fit. It comes in handy. I needed some work done to one of my rifles so I added Kruel J to the trust and he was legally allowed to posses my rifle for that time. When I got it back I removed him. I know that you are not in the area anymore but I would suggest reaching out to them and seeing if they can help you. Cost was $200

My guns are not collectible. They are shooters. My son gets them to shoot.
I do have a knife collection that has value. I am getting older and don't want the wife or son to have to deal with selling them even with knife collector friends who would assist. So, I will be selling off my collection soon. This way they won't have t deal with it when I kick the bucket. Maybe I will take the money from it and remodel the kitchen for my wife as a parting gift. :cool:

I got my trust set up from Sporting Systems because they have the best one I could find. No one goes through a back ground except me even for NFA items. I can add and delete people from the trust as I see fit. It comes in handy. I needed some work done to one of my rifles so I added Kruel J to the trust and he was legally allowed to posses my rifle for that time. When I got it back I removed him. I know that you are not in the area anymore but I would suggest reaching out to them and seeing if they can help you. Cost was $200

Geeze, that seems like it'd be an easy way to pass on/divest a collection. Thanks!

The OP asked about the best way his friends wife could sell the collection, not keep them. Gun trusts are great way to direct firearms into the right hands after the passing of the owner, but she's not wanting to keep them.

The OP asked about the best way his friends wife could sell the collection, not keep them. Gun trusts are great way to direct firearms into the right hands after the passing of the owner, but she's not wanting to keep them.

My wife wouldn't want to keep mine either. Which is why my Son, SIL and daughter are on the trust. This way they stay in the family and there wouldn't need a transfer to take them.

The transfer fees are generally on the buyer, not the seller. I did purchase an estate firearm last month from a member here who had a deal going with a Hillsboro FFL that had the firearm collection in their possession while he made the deals online and the FFL only charged the $10.00 OSP BG fee.
I never met the member and only talked to him on the phone. It worked out really well other then driving from the Gresham area to the FFL.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top