JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
One of my acquaintances has asked me how his wife should go about disposing of his lifetime accumulation of firearms should he depart for the Astral Plane first. I thought about it and couldn't come with a satisfactory answer.
This seems like a great place to get informed advice, so I'm asking for it.
Thanks to all.
Rev

If the collection has mint or near mint firearms or rare and unusual guns, then I would advise her to contact an online consignment seller called "Jack the Dog"
He's located in Hillsboro, Oregon and he consistently sells quality firearms for more money online then anyone else.
His marketing formula is to be 100% honest in the evaluation of the listed firearms and his photos are second to none.
For lesser value firearms I would think that a table at the Washington Arms Collectors would be a good way to liquidate the bulk of the collection. She would have to join WAC, but it would be better then consigning them to a gun store and receive 30% of their value.

pre- and post-mortem gifts to friends/family is one option; arranged consignment per previous post seems good choice for a 'more than a few' collection; and the obvious 'sell them along the way before passing' a few at a time, as it extends the pleasure of having built a collection over the years.

I've known friends with the "If I can't take it with me I ain't going" theory, yet that hasn't seemed to actually work in practice.

If he wants to leave a larger estate & not fuss over management in his final years, write into his will just how the disposition should go. One such plan on a shooter-grade collection, is such as "so and so gets such & such specific items/or their choice of the lot" per individual beneficiary, "with the remaining sold and the proceeds evenly distributed" or according to some preferred method.

There's really lots of methods. One to avoid is simply ignore the inevitable and realize a certain confusion that will arise without making specifics a matter of legal record via recorded Will.

Luckily my wife will never have to worry about it. Those that she doesn't want to keep will be quickly snapped up by the son and daughter. They have been fighting over the collection for a decade now. So much so we sat down and made a list of who gets what. I seriously doubt any firearm currently in my possession will be for sale for the next couple generations as the grand daughters are now at 10 and 11 getting into shooting themselves.

...but it would be better then consigning them to a gun store and receive 30% of their value.

For run-of-the-mill guns, like everything I own, consignment at a local gunsmith has worked out well for me. I believe they get at least 90% of what I could get myself, although they do it quicker and with zero hassle for me. After they take their 15% or so, what I get is a lot closer to 75% of max value. Even though I'm retired, my time does have some value, so I really feel I'm coming out ahead just because of the convenience.

But you know the value of your firearms. A widow walking into a gun store with no idea what they're worth would be at the mercy of an unscrupulous dealer.

Ask a fellow gun collector, who was a good friend of her husband to help?

Cabela's.....IIRC, they offer 2/3 of Blue Book value. If she is happy with that?

+++++

In my case.....
My son get's the collection. So......I don't have that problem. Actually, he will be "stuck" with the problem. But then, I have on many occasions promised that I would sell off the collection before I pass on. LOL.....and I'll use the money on hookers and blow.:eek: Not!

Aloha, Mark

First, tell your acquaintance do not let his partner sell the firearms for what he told her he paid for them!! [seriously!]

Second, ensure the firearms are detail listed [manuf, mdl, caliber, org cost, where purchased, as well as est. resale value from a viable firearm book] in a properly drawn up and signed & notarized/witnessed will and who primary and secondary recipients are to be.
[failure could cause the disposition of property to be complicated as outlined here: What Happens When a Person Dies Without a Will? - LLS ]

Look none of us anticipate our deaths and if forward thinking is actually applied, will, MPA, etc., so the partner takes everything as is 'state policy'; if due to a tragic accident both die unexpectedly, then the offspring/relatives get into a he/she said hissy fit over "dad's favorite shotgun [tractor/house/etc.] was 'promised' to me" mentality.

Third, upon death, do nothing with said firearms, nada, until the decedent's will is probated!

Fourth, once probated, divide the spoils and find a FFL interested in either purchasing the entire collection or piecing it on consignment out of their LGS or flat out pawn them taking the cash and running like devil in the night.

But you know the value of your firearms. A widow walking into a gun store with no idea what they're worth would be at the mercy of an unscrupulous dealer.

I have often showed my wife what my firearms are worth and maintain a column on my spread sheet inventory list that shows what I believe to be current market value. SO should she need to sell something she will be within a few percentage points of current value as a starting place. And my son who has his own small collection (as well lusting after mine) is very well aware of how to buy and sell a firearm.

You're the exception, not the rule. My wife knows that my mint Python is special only because it's just like Rick's in the Walking Dead.

It may be good to get in writing just what guns go to who or where , if the present owner has a preference.
No matter the size of your collection , making a legal plan with all the "I's" dotted and "T's" crossed will save a headache for the person who is in charge of your estate after you die.
Andy

Say your folks live in another state. You live in Oregon. You're legal to buy firearms in Oregon. Your dad passes away, and mom says, "which of his guns would you like to have"? You pick the ones you want - all legal for you to own in Oregon. Can you legally haul them back to Oregon without a BGC?

My will states that the kids get them, but if I pass before they're of age, I've got a buddy listed that will hold on to them until they're old enough. If they don't want them, they're his.

id say, he he was close to his check out date, i would start selling them off now and enjoying the cash rather then the wife sending them off to a scrapper or getting pennies on the dollar.

My son takes it for granted that he will inherit all my firearms. The only problem for him is that he lives in WA. He can't own full auto in that state unless he has the correct FFL. I will probably sell those specific guns unless something changes. He can have the rest.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top