JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a coworker that owns property in the western side of the state. Something like 50 acres. He states that because he grows crops and has al of his agricultural license and what not he is able to get multiple elk and deer tags a year. Is this true? Or is he full of it and simply poaching. I would love to call him out on his BS if this is not true.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Have him show you were that is possible in the Oregon laws and regulations for game animals.
The LOP if for the controlled hunts east of cascade since your Co worker is west in the general season deer and elk hunts I would say he is full of you know what could be wrong but . . . . . . .

yeah he has LOP tags per the amount of property he has. i wish i owned 50 acres in the trask unit. then i wouldnt have to kill myself trying to bow hunt the terrain.:D

Thanks for the infos. Never heard of these types of tags.

So the word you're looking for is depredation permit, it's issued on a per-species basis, on an as-needed basis. Because of my familial relationship, I hunt pigs under a depredation permit regularly, with nearly 4000acres either as pasture or tillage, it's a lot of pigs.

Yea but there has to be Critters on the property and 50 Acres is a tiny amount of property when it comes to Elk. Since Elk are almost constantly on the move especially in season. Deer on the other hand will hang in an area for a long time. And you might get lucky and have a few deer on 50 acres. I hunt a 320 acre homestead farm here near Silverton and I would venture there are less then 20 deer on the property in a good year. And Elk only move through the area once in a great while.

Yea but there has to be Critters on the property and 50 Acres is a tiny amount of property when it comes to Elk. Since Elk are almost constantly on the move especially in season. Deer on the other hand will hang in an area for a long time. And you might get lucky and have a few deer on 50 acres. I hunt a 320 acre homestead farm here near Silverton and I would venture there are less then 20 deer on the property in a good year. And Elk only move through the area once in a great while.
But if 300 elk go thru his property,they could leave some huge ruts or a large mud hole.He should be able to dissuade them from using his land.
And go tear up the neighbors

You mis read my intentions. My point was 50 acres is a tiny area for Elk to be in when its hunting season. They tend to wander around a few thousand acres. So just because you have a land owner preference tag doesn't mean your going to find Elk. Not that Elk couldn't do damage on a 50 acre plot.

What can leap tall fences with a single bound?
Who can tear down and piss all over a perfectly good haystack?
Who hides in plain sight? At Douglas Ridge Rifle Club?
DRRC Elk at dusk.JPG

That may be a great opportunity to trade ranch-work for hunting priviledges (you get an LOP tag). Although, 50 acres usually do not amount to very many tags....

You will see where the animals break cover and enter the fields.

You have to "stick your neck out" and do the work without a guarantee of any kind.

I had such a reciprocity once in my lifetime; it lasted for 9 great years.

That may be a great opportunity to trade ranch-work for hunting priviledges (you get an LOP tag). Although, 50 acres usually do not amount to very many tags....

You will see where the animals break cover and enter the fields.

You have to "stick your neck out" and do the work without a guarantee of any kind.

I had such a reciprocity once in my lifetime; it lasted for 9 great years.

I have already helped him set up a hornady lock and load progressive. In return he has agreed to let me hunt his land at any time.

Turns out he is correct on the tags allowed for his land. If anything I guess I'm more surprised that he can be do privileged.

I have already helped him set up a hornady lock and load progressive. In return he has agreed to let me hunt his land at any time.

Turns out he is correct on the tags allowed for his land. If anything I guess I'm more surprised that he can be do privileged.

That appears to be the beginning of a great relationship.

Just remember that access to private land is always precarious; particularly access granted verbally (the opposite of a written hunting lease).

When I used to trespass hunt in the Southeast, I provided a written permission/release of liability slip for the landowner to sign.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top