JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Go check out Hancock timber resources group, they own vast acreage of timberland in eastern Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Montana,. Go drive through their lands, then drive through blm or forest service land, one is being managed for timber production, the others are a fire waiting to happen.
Another good example of the difference in management practices is the lands around Mt. St. Helens. The managed Weyerhauser forests recovered much more quickly than the federal lands. USFS "foresters" have chosen to "study" natural recovery rather than manage the land. The result is a much less healthy and productive forest.

To further complicate a rational USFS Plan, whatever that might actually be, is (nearly) every time the national political administration changes their shorts, a new USFS Director is installed...who may have considerably different agenda, professional skills (and WHICH profession) as well as social winds blowing.

The type of Yellowstone blow out was a hint of the coming era we now suffer, maximizing the drastic accumulation of various fuels thru official policies & frankly misquided greenie legal actions over the decades. Now of course the media is assigning other causes.

This thread was not what I expected. Pretty sad stuff. I dumpster dived into Oregon's "green energy" recently and found that we like many other area in the US are now using "bio mass" to fuel the energy grid. What's "bio mass" you ask? It's trees.

Edited to add that biomass only makes up 1.5% of the states total energy grid, but the number of facilities grew over the last 5 years. Most if not all of them are owned by timber companies.
Welcome to the pre-industrial revolution...

This thread was not what I expected. Pretty sad stuff. I dumpster dived into Oregon's "green energy" recently and found that we like many other area in the US are now using "bio mass" to fuel the energy grid. What's "bio mass" you ask? It's trees.

Edited to add that biomass only makes up 1.5% of the states total energy grid, but the number of facilities grew over the last 5 years. Most if not all of them are owned by timber companies.
Why is that sad?
Bio mass utilizes material that otherwise would have not been used. It burns material not suitable for logs and converts it to energy.
How can that be anything other than positive use of our resources?

Why is that sad?
Bio mass utilizes material that otherwise would have not been used. It burns material not suitable for logs and converts it to energy.
How can that be anything other than positive use of our resources?
I guess it depends on your outlook on de foresting in general.

I guess it depends on your outlook on de foresting in general.
I would agree with that statement.
I believe that if timber is to be harvested it should be utilized as much as possible. Bio mass utilizes more of the material.
no material is harvested to facilitate bio mass. Bio mass utilizes bi product that is generated from a timber harvest or fuels reduction operations.

I would agree with that statement.
I believe that if timber is to be harvested it should be utilized as much as possible. Bio mass utilizes more of the material.
no material is harvested to facilitate bio mass. Bio mass utilizes bi product that is generated from a timber harvest or fuels reduction operations.
I will agree with that.

There have been instances where they have basically deforested an entire area just for biomass fuels. Nothing was used for other reasons. Not so much here on the west coast where firs are a main lumber crop, but on the east coast it has become a thing sadly.

In my opinion, I'm not really for this being advertised and campaigned to the public as "green energy" or "renewable energy" because its not. It's right up there with saying large scale fishing is sustainable.

I do get a kick out of the irony in it all. Where we, the US, give other industrialized countries hell for deforestation, yet we are just as culpable. It's only because are industry leaders have better brainwashing campaigns.

If you think the short prod is thick while it's growing, wait until they go in and thin and make it darn near impassable. I've noticed some shorter Weyerhaeuser stands where they go in and drop trees and leave them laying every which way, making it darn near impossible to hike through of hunt.

For really thick reprod just set up on trails going in and out.

Or get some friends and either wind bump or good old fashioned midwest deer drive them.

Ceeping around with 10' of visibility will likely prove ineffective.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top