JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi Folks,

I've been considering purchasing some land in Oregon for purposes of camping, target shooting and possibly building a home at some point. Being able to hunt on the land would be a bonus.

Having said that, I have no idea where to start and I wasn't sure where else I could post this on the forum. There didn't seem to be an appropriate section for a discussion about this. The Outdoor shooting sections for example are all specific to designated outdoor shooting sites.

I've already done some research on the types of land: raw, unimproved, improved, so I have a basic understanding of what might be required given the type of land, but really beyond that and some initial google searches, I'm clueless.

Any suggestions on what to look for and any general things to be aware of when purchasing for recreation and shooting, specific to Oregon, would be appreciated.

Access, neighboring properties and the whims of the Planning department of the County in which the subject property lies are the first things that come to mind.

Especially if you are not from Oregon, I strongly advise engaging the services of an attorney specializing in Land Use issues.

The ones I know are NOT cheap. But like I always tell people, THERE IS NOT ONE SINGLE LAND USE PROBLEM that you could possibly encounter that will be cheaper to fix than a few hours of an attorney's time going in.

I have been in the Title and Escrow business since 1999.

Good Luck - PM me for specific recommendations if you would like a referral.

Christmas Valley has cheap land that you can hunt and shoot on. I'd probable be more inclined to go to the Chemult or Crescent area, though the skeeters out there are pretty bad in the summer. Paisley or Lakeview have some nice areas as well.

So many different things to consider. Lots of it can be done by you with some computer time. Lots of it can be done by a real estate agent who is employed by you to work with you to do regional or local legwork.

If you are serious and have some serious money things get easier and harder. Remember .... real estate agents may or may not have your best interests at work. They must have that pay check to remain agents.

Zoning. Easements. Water table. Taxes. Schools. Neighbors. Access. Weather. Climate. Elevation. EMS. Fire services. Soil. Stupid laws. Fire danger. Just a few of the many considerations. Steep learning curve.

Enjoy.

Christmas Valley has cheap land that you can hunt and shoot on. I'd probable be more inclined to go to the Chemult or Crescent area, though the skeeters out there are pretty bad in the summer. Paisley or Lakeview have some nice areas as well.

Yup, that is some rural beautiful country. Basically still the wild west for all Im concerned. Depends on how rural you want to go, but Lakeview is a great little town, and the mountains around there could be good. There is a famous firearms instructor who has courses just north of Lakeview. "Thunder Ranch" is the name.

Yup, that is some rural beautiful country. Basically still the wild west for all Im concerned. Depends on how rural you want to go, but Lakeview is a great little town, and the mountains around there could be good. There is a famous firearms instructor who has courses just north of Lakeview. "Thunder Ranch" is the name.

I havnt shot there in about 20 years, but there was a small range on the east side of the dam in the mountains east of Lakeview.

It may be good idea to stay away from Alki Lake too, there is over a million gallons of DDT buried on the southwest part of the dried up lake.

Last Edited:
Hi Folks,

I've been considering purchasing some land in Oregon for purposes of camping, target shooting and possibly building a home at some point. Being able to hunt on the land would be a bonus.

Having said that, I have no idea where to start and I wasn't sure where else I could post this on the forum. There didn't seem to be an appropriate section for a discussion about this. The Outdoor shooting sections for example are all specific to designated outdoor shooting sites.

I've already done some research on the types of land: raw, unimproved, improved, so I have a basic understanding of what might be required given the type of land, but really beyond that and some initial google searches, I'm clueless.

Any suggestions on what to look for and any general things to be aware of when purchasing for recreation and shooting, specific to Oregon, would be appreciated.
Give my niece a call... Lauren Reed. She'll give straight answers and show you some great forest property. Never mind the Taurus on her hip (although you may admire that holster she wears... I made it!).

https://northwestforestproperties.com/
Cell (541) 206-9248

So many different things to consider. Lots of it can be done by you with some computer time. Lots of it can be done by a real estate agent who is employed by you to work with you to do regional or local legwork.

If you are serious and have some serious money things get easier and harder. Remember .... real estate agents may or may not have your best interests at work. They must have that pay check to remain agents.

Zoning. Easements. Water table. Taxes. Schools. Neighbors. Access. Weather. Climate. Elevation. EMS. Fire services. Soil. Stupid laws. Fire danger. Just a few of the many considerations. Steep learning curve.

Enjoy.
Excellent reply! Especially the last paragraph.

Imo knowing exactly your intended use is vital because it set the constraints for what land will fit the bill (and what research you need to do ahead of time). Fe possibly building a home in the future puts a whole bunch of factors into play that may not be factors at all if it's just hunting and camping.

Last Edited:
Access, neighboring properties and the whims of the Planning department of the County in which the subject property lies are the first things that come to mind.

Especially if you are not from Oregon, I strongly advise engaging the services of an attorney specializing in Land Use issues.

The ones I know are NOT cheap. But like I always tell people, THERE IS NOT ONE SINGLE LAND USE PROBLEM that you could possibly encounter that will be cheaper to fix than a few hours of an attorney's time going in.

I have been in the Title and Escrow business since 1999.

Good Luck - PM me for specific recommendations if you would like a referral.
Wise advice imo! 1st paragraph items are especially important. If it's just hunting then maybe not as big of a deal but if building a home, knowing the neighbors, immediate community, and planning department is critical I totally agree. These folks can be your allies and friends or make your life miserable.

Thanks all for the responses.

Frankly, it sounds like a pretty intimidating process and I think I could definitely use the help of an experienced land owner or realtor.

Cogs, thanks for the referral. That gives me an option when it's time to get the guidance of a professional.

Btw, what I'm reading online is that land intended only for "recreational" use makes it tougher to get a loan given there's no collateral in the form of a home. Having said that, what if your plan was to make improvements in terms of access/road improvements, land improvements like clearing and planting grass, etc. Wouldn't that to a degree offset the risk a lender is taking on if one's plan is to only use the land for hunting or shooting for example? Also, would the upside of getting land for just shooting and/or hunting be that you have less regulations and standards to meet as opposed to getting land specifically for building a home? I guess having said that, my preference would be for land that we could possibly build a home on in the future.

Not sure where you're located but I wouldn't want do drive more than 4 hours to get to my property... if you really plan on using it a lot.
You need 40 + acres to hunt and 160+ To hunt bull elk.
I bought 4 acres on Drew's reservoir for 10k right before Covid hit.
There were 160 acres lots for 100k.
Those days are gone right now.
I think Bonanza, chiloquin are still cheap.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top