Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Portland Watch Repair

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by billyinfinity, Apr 2, 2014.

1. billyinfinity

billyinfinity Portland All pie, all the time. 2015 Volunteer

Can anyone recommend a good watch repair shop in the Portland area? I have a couple of watches that are worth a lot to me that I'd like to get some work done on (great grandfather's pocket watch and father's rolex). I know I can google this and read online reviews and such but I'd prefer to get some recommendations from people I know are real and robots or paid endorsements. Thanks!

2. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

My parents have had very good service from Ruud's Jewelers in Oregon City. I have no idea if they do that kind of watch work, but they ha e fixed a few for both my parents.

3. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Shreve & Co. on Broadway downtown Portland has been doing that stuff for a long time.

4. 66PonyCar

66PonyCar Tigard, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I had my dad's Vulcain watch repaired by Terry Nelson in Portland. He doesn't have a storefront and I actually mailed him the watch. It took him about 2 weeks to fix. The movement was not working and the dial needed refinishing. He did a great job. He will give you an estimate before he commences work. He kept me up to date on what was happening with the watch and even sent before and after photos. Below is the link to his website.

http://www.watchrepair.cc/

5. JedB

JedB PDX Active Member

For the Rolex, go to an authorized dealer. I took mine to Ben Bridge, and they shipped it off to Rolex USA in Dallas. Got my 6619 (Oysterdate, mid 80s) back with new everything inside for ~$500.

6. asiparks

asiparks PDX Active Member

for high end mechanical watch repairs, I go to Watchworks http://www.yelp.com/biz/alex-and-co-jewelers-watchworks-portland on SW 10th.
    Very friendly and up front, they've cleaned and checked over watches that I've not bought from them without charging me and on those needing repairs, they've been clear on the costs before doing anything.

7. billyinfinity

billyinfinity Portland All pie, all the time. 2015 Volunteer

Thanks everybody.

8. TwinStick

TwinStick In the wind Active Member

+1 for Watchworks. They know their stuff

9. asiparks

asiparks PDX Active Member

As a side note, if a watch goes off to Rolex for service, they'll replace anything that doesn't meet spec; "Hurrah !!" you might think, however, depending on what kind of Rolex you have, that replacement has on more than one occasion destroyed the value of some rare and collectable watches of 70's and 80's vintage, especially if it's a dive watch.....

10. BAMCIS

BAMCIS Eugene Well-Known Member

I know it's not PDX, but in Eugene there is Skeie's Jewelers located in the Oakway Mall. They are a Rolex dealer and have their own authorized Rolex technician in house so shipping to Dallas isn't necessary.

I know you know you could have googled, but I found a helluva lotta info here: http://www.watchuseek.com/home

11. gaijinsamurai

gaijinsamurai Beaverton Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

I can't remember the name of the shop, but there is a very skilled watch/clock repairman on Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy. in Beaverton, where a Cut Above Pawn used to be located. I've taken quality watches (two Swiss) there for routine tune-ups and to replace batteries. They do good work.