JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The number of times I've had road rage style incidents, I just mainly decide to take myself out of the situation. While I drive a decently fast car, I don't park in the left lane and I take my time with traffic.

9 out of 10 times getting out of work at 4pm, I just go work out or see a movie and then wait for traffic to die down.

After I read the article again I caught something I missed the first time. Said that the guy who died after he got shot tried to apologize and told the shooter he had just had a bad day. Well the day got a hell of a lot worse. When some moron is acting the fool on the road I will just try to get the hell away from them. This is a great example of why you NEVER get out of your car to go confront someone. You never know when the other driver is going to be some kook like this.

Guns no doubt give SOME a sense of power, a way to 'equalize' their feelings of inadequacy.

Couple this with potentially low self esteem, social anxieties and irrational fears surrounding the person and you have someone who is 'primed' to 'go off', perhaps even LOOKING for a way to use the gun to 'relieve' themselves of some these issues.

"Hammond allegedly attempted to shoot Martin again, but his gun malfunctioned."

Yep, sounds like a 1911, lol.

Did one of these guys have a criminal record? The shooter or victim that was shot? Or, two law abiding citizens involved?

Did one of these guys have a criminal record? The shooter
Yes, he does. From the previous posted article:

Hammond, who is single with no children, has two traffic tickets in Multnomah County, according to court records. The federal bankruptcy filing indicates Hammond previously used the name Jeffrey Edward Mandalis. Court records indicate Mandalis has a criminal history in Illinois including charges of assault, vandalism, trespassing and domestic battery.

After I read the article again I caught something I missed the first time. Said that the guy who died after he got shot tried to apologize and told the shooter he had just had a bad day. Well the day got a hell of a lot worse. When some moron is acting the fool on the road I will just try to get the hell away from them. This is a great example of why you NEVER get out of your car to go confront someone. You never know when the other driver is going to be some kook like this.
That single line brought home the visceral reality of the situation. The escalation was brief, and the man who died went from enraged and on his feet, to docile and in a state of deep shock in seconds. A bad day ended in tragedy.

You are correct in that assessment. Of the 4 millionaires or people that are well off in my circle of friends, 2 drive older BMWs and Mercedes and the other 2 drive older Lexus .

I admire them for being frugal with their money and not squandering it.

One of my buddies older mercedes is from the early 90s and everything still works including the heated seats. He added one of those newer stereo setups for his bluetooth and it works well for his car.
Yea. A famous example is the founder of IKEA driving his old Volvo forever.

Yea. A famous example is the founder of IKEA driving his old Volvo forever.
I worked for a guy who was a multi millionaire for a good while who was like that. This was back when having that kind of money meant he could buy a damn island all his own. He drove and older Toyota. Guy only thought of a car as something to get him from one place to another and could care less about much else with it. He lived in a "nice" place too but he could have had something FAR better if he chose too. A lot of the "better things" in life really seemed to mean not much too him. When he finally kicked off his kids were old enough to collect SS and promptly sold off all of the things he had built and bought. I got the impression the kids were HIGHLY pissed off he lived so long :s0140:

I worked for a guy who was a multi millionaire for a good while who was like that. This was back when having that kind of money meant he could buy a damn island all his own. He drove and older Toyota. Guy only thought of a car as something to get him from one place to another and could care less about much else with it. He lived in a "nice" place too but he could have had something FAR better if he chose too. A lot of the "better things" in life really seemed to mean not much too him. When he finally kicked off his kids were old enough to collect SS and promptly sold off all of the things he had built and bought. I got the impression the kids were HIGHLY pissed off he lived so long :s0140:
While I can certainly appreciate and understand delayed gratification, I'll never understand ZERO gratification. Yeah, making money is good, but what's the point if you don't allow yourself to enjoy it a bit?

Life is too short to drive boring vehicles, shoot boring guns and eat crappy food.

hes pleading not guilty, saying he believed certain groups of people were stalking him. I get that the media might not be telling the whole story but from what little is said I don't see him having a chance in even the most conservative city.

While I can certainly appreciate and understand delayed gratification, I'll never understand ZERO gratification. Yeah, making money is good, but what's the point if you don't allow yourself to enjoy it a bit?

Life is too short to drive boring vehicles, shoot boring guns and eat crappy food.
I used to watch him and thought the same damn thing. He owned a BUNCH of properties. He worked until he died. He was a MISERABLE asshat to be around. In the many years I worked for him I never said two words to him as I knew to avoid him. Several I worked with did not heed my warning and after an interaction with him would be all kinds of pissed off. I would shrug and say "I told you to stay the hell away from him and you did not listen."
His "joy" in life seemed to be going around making those who worked for him miserable. Hey to each his own I guess. Best part was years after I parted ways with him and he kicked off it was found that his second in command had been stealing money from him BIG time. I mean millions of bucks in a period of about 7 years. Now that I did wish he would have lived to find out about as it would have been fun to see the look on his face when he found out. His kids were of course not amused and must have had some heavy political pull. The one they caught was given more prison time than many people get for killing someone.

hes pleading not guilty, saying he believed certain groups of people were stalking him. I get that the media might not be telling the whole story but from what little is said I don't see him having a chance in even the most conservative city.

Well I mean what is he supposed to do? He may be hoping for a plea deal saying his is not all there? Or just any plea deal? Very much doubt this will end up in a trial from what I read. Unless he just has himself fooled into thinking he can get a jury to go along with his kook idea's. Guy is toast though. The guy who got out of his car and came over to yell at him? Now if he had just shot him he "might" have a shot at getting not much time. The shooting at the guy taking the picture blew his entire case out the window. Unless he can persuade some Doctors to say he is nuts? He will do some heavy time. Kind of surprising he has not had something like this happen before now as he certainly has some real control problems.

I knew a very longtime real estate investor here in portland, family acquaintance from way back that worked 18 hours a day his whole life. Extremely wealthy, no kids save one or two adopted from Africa or someplace.
Never went on vacation, humble home, the whole nine yards.
He was more into serving his fellow man than gewgaws and pennywhistles and such. No idea what happened to his estate and I don't really care.

Taurus make a 1911? 🤣
Oh yah.

1697394014945.png

Well I mean what is he supposed to do?
I'm not surprised any murderer would plead not guilty, narcissists do not believe they are ever wrong. Agree with your assessment above... he might have had a remote chance in hell arguing self defense if he didnt add another victim...
Kind of surprising he has not had something like this happen before now as he certainly has some real control problems.
At some point all bad guys get caught for the first time. In a few cases some with major problems skate by a long time before they finally screw up. The antis will pounce all over this as evidence its the guns fault, because he has no major criminal record.
I'm reading the guy was wealthy, clearly he has issues believing "certain groups" were out to get him my guess is his wealth helped him skate by with his bubblegumry in life, or maybe it was what ruined him in the first place.

I'm not surprised any murderer would plead not guilty, narcissists do not believe they are ever wrong. Agree with your assessment above... he might have had a remote chance in hell arguing self defense if he didnt add another victim...

At some point all bad guys get caught for the first time. In a few cases some with major problems skate by a long time before they finally screw up. The antis will pounce all over this as evidence its the guns fault, because he has no major criminal record.
I'm reading the guy was wealthy, clearly he has issues believing "certain groups" were out to get him my guess is his wealth helped him skate by with his bubblegumry in life, or maybe it was what ruined him in the first place.
Could well have been just dumb luck alright. Some times morons seem to have luck that is hard to believe. Surely this was not his first time doing something over the top stupid but, bet it will be his last for a good long time :D
Decades back we had a serial arsonist here who was having a great time starting stuff on fire all over western WA. When he was finally caught he was so full of himself he was really expecting the judge to let him go or maybe let him spend a few weekends in jail. She threw the book at him and the shocked look on his face said it all. This clown will probably have that same look when this is over and he is told he will be old and gray before he sees freedom again. :confused:

Shooter was driving a Mercedes so the photographer may be looking at a payday.

Mercedes man may be looking at murder and attempted murder. Not so smart.M
Shooter's reportedly broke. Any ahole can lease a Mercedes. Photographer/victim is an architect who'd been in town for less than four hours to give a talk at a conference.

Intense/crazy photo. Shooter's on the phone when this was snapped, probably to the police. The victim actually thought shooter might have been undercover police before shooter pointed gun and shot him. Imagine the "oh f&*#" victim experienced when he recognized what was about to happen!

Ego, anger and firearms don't go together. The irony is that when people complain about downtown Portland being a dangerous split hole they aren't thinking the road rage perp looks like this.

Edit: Oh. Looks like I was sleeping on this….sorry…no original thoughts here…

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top