JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Seriously, why was this man allowed to be a police officer in the first place?

Police Officer Fired After Shooting and Pepper Spraying Squirrel

MOUNTAIN CITY, TN (WBIR) - A Tennessee police officer has been fired after displaying heavy force in an attempt to rid a Dollar General Store of a squirrel. The incident occurred last Thursday in Mountain City, when according to police documents, now-former Officer Jody Putnam found himself at the right place at the right time. Or the wrong place at the wrong time. Documents state that Putnam happened to be inside the Dollar General Store at the same time employees noticed a squirrel. That's when Putnam sprang into action, discharging his firearm at the squirrel inside the store. Unsuccessful, he moved on to option 2: pepper spray.

"There was a lot of people that come out and just like me they came out and they were coughing and a hacking," Carl Duffield told WJHL-TV. "It was comical, but I'm sure they didn't feel that way - the customers that came out."

In Mountain City, whenever officers discharge their weapons, they are required to alert their supervisors and provide a written statement. Putnam refused to file a report and was subsequently fired by the town's Board of Mayor and Alderman.

No information was given as to the condition of the squirrel other than the fact that he was dead

Speechless....... Can't quit laughing..................................

Ok.................

Opened fire on a squirrel in a store......................
That one can't even be classified....
Was he an extra in caddy shack.................

He should have just beat the squirrel up, claimed it attacked him first, filed for disability, then get another job at another police agency while collecting disability from the first one.

So I guess we need a questionnaire for police applicants.

Question 1. You are on your way home after your shift as a police officer and your wife calls you and says "pick up a gallon of milk on the way home." You proceed to stop at your corner market where upon entering the market, you encounter a mouse, squirrel or similar sized rodent. What do you do?

a. Regret that I neglected to bring my Police issue pump 12 gauge.
b. Immediately pull my service weapon and begin firing at the little trespasser.
c. Regret that I neglected to bring my department issued 556 with it's 30 round magazine.
d. Call my best friend Bubba to ask for his advice.
e. Buy a gallon of milk and go home, leaving the mouse, squirrel or rodent alone.

Question 2. Out on patrol I see a dog in a homeowners back yard. The yard is surrounded by a tall chain link fence.

a. I feel threatened and must stop the car, climb over the fence and discharge my service weapon into the scary dog.
b. Call for backup before proceeding with choice "a".
c. Grab my department issued 556 because it's better for shooting home owner's dogs when shooting through chain link fence.
d. Continue driving.

Question 3. I spot a grandmother driving a small Toyota pickup truck and delivering newspapers. I remember that an all points bulletin was issued earlier to be on the lookout for a large panel van.

a. I immediately give chase to the Toyota while firing my duty weapon out of the window.
b. I call for everyone available to back me up.
c. I can't decide if I should go after a dog I see in a back yard or grandma. Tough choices...
d. I continue my patrol, looking out for a large panel van.

It seems like the repercussions for killing or injuring an animal (especially a pet) are greater than doing the same to a human.

It sounds like if he had followed proper procedure in filing a report, he would have escaped serious discipline. Remember, always get the paperwork right!

Just got to thinking about Ray Stevens and the squirrel in the Antioch Baptist church in Pearl, Mississippi (of which I attended back in the day)!!!!
Back then it was considered a hoot and a holler, what the hell has happened to this country!!!

I hope that this isn't the end of the investigation! There are many more questions that need hard answers! Did the officer and the squirrel know each other? We're the officer and the squirrel involved? How many times over the years have we heard the phrase "grabbing his squirrel?"

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top