JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just read a little ways on this and just wanted to comment on section 1 of the policy, quoted herein. "Agency mission statements, policies, and training curricula should emphasize the sanctity of all human life—the general public, police officers, and criminal suspects—and the importance of treating all persons with dignity and respect." This is all well and good but to be frank about this, the sanctity of human life is a little out of order. The main mission of a police officer is to make it home at the end of his shift, so as to that end the police officers life, to a police officer, is a bit more important than that of the general public or the criminal suspects. I am not saying that a police officer will not sacrifice his life, but the general public needs to know that you are usually secondary, not first as is listed here. I do not know if the author put these in order or importance to him or just random.

I wonder who wrote that and what their level of experience is in law enforcement. Some of it is asinine. Adopt a policy requiring the officer to worry about how force looks to other people? Almost every use of force looks horribe on camera, especially if you dont see the whole incident and know the information available.

Graham v. Conner establishes totality of circumstances. You react to a situation based on the best information and training that is available at the moment. Courts cant take outside information that surfaces after the incident to measure whether force was necessary or reasonable because the officer deals with the situation with the requirement that law vioaltions be addressed, especially if the situation develops into a use of force because of the liability that results from someone being victimized due to a failure to address a violation.

I don't know of a department that doesn't emphasize de-escalaton when possible. Most uses of force, mainly those that dont use SWAT, which is probably 99% of all uses of force, are not preplanned and are considered emergent and dynamic. You use what force is necessary and reasonable and constantly assess whether you use more or less force. Trying to talk every person out of something without some sort of coercion is a good way to end up dead.

Not firing at a vehicle unless someone is shooting at you from it? Because vehicles arent dangerous weapons.......right.

I could go on and on about the information in this article.

Oh, and promplty rendering first aid? Sure, if the threat no longer exists. I know the Hollywood Heights shooting is an example the bleeding hearts use because the guy sat there and bled out. Do they want to be the one who peeks around a corner to see if the guy shooting the place up needs a bandaid? Right.

This steaming pile of oxygen thievery has been out for a little bit. No one who does real police work listens to anything these politically motivated bovine scatalogical artists have to say. Their ideas are not only completely devoid of a grounding in reality; but adopting them will result in police officer deaths.

Cases in point:

16. Use Distance, Cover, and Time to replace outdated concepts such as the "21-foot rule" and "drawing a line in the sand."

Agencies should train their officers on the principles of using distance, cover, and time when approaching and managing certain critical incidents. In many situations, a better outcome can result if officers can buy more time to assess the situation and their options, bring additional resources to the scene, and develop a plan for resolving the incident without use of force.
Agencies should eliminate from their policies and training all references to the so-called "21-foot rule" regarding officers who are confronted with a subject armed with an edged weapon. Instead, officers should be trained to use distance and cover to create a "reaction gap" between themselves and the individual, and to consider all options for responding.

Hey Dill-holes at PERF, what do you think the "21 foot rule is?" Perhaps it gives an officer a "reaction gap?" Hmmmmm.... And I wonder how hanging back, calling for more backup and waiting to see what happens worked out at Columbine and Thurston High? Or any other maniac waving a weapon around in downtown PDX?

:s0125:

You can just keep reading on and on and soak up the desk jockey mentality of someone who decided to be a cop because social workers can't carry guns. I spent my time laughing my ever shrinking behind off as these admins talked about how a failed taser deployment doesn't mean it is gun time and that if they respond to a scene with a weapon, they should all huddle with a responding supervisor to figure out a plan to NOT use force to solve the problem.

:s0140::s0140::s0140::s0140::s0140::s0140::s0140::s0140::s0140:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads