JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
LEO had kicked the knife from the perp after the first volley of shots. His thinking (per ASP) was that sans the knife, lethal force was no longer appropriate.

I would have capped him 100 feet earlier, but I am probably not fit to be a LEO.

Much respect!

The car should have been the line in the sand. It could have been used to maintain distance from the blade AND keep the perp from getting out on the highway.

I was watching it thinking, surely he will drop him before they get out of the neighborhood.

He did, but because of the charge.
Depends what city you are in.

From bad to worse in this video. The police set up a circular firing squad after they get the knife wielding crazy guy cornered in a field.

Lack of training. This video shows how fast a determined man can move on someone.
In that country, I wouldn't think that the police have such stringent guidelines in dealing with a deranged mental person that's armed with a knife.

Anyone know the back story on the first video?

Was the knife wielding attacker: High/on what??/Just Crazy/ and yes are all the L.E. o.k. or will be eventually?

What the hell went on in that first video?
How many times does it take?
There was direct confrontation upon arrival.
Threat distance encroached.
I get the bodycam for evidence, cops hands are tied with legalities.
Backing up, walking backwards, for a block?
Assailant was not responsive to (far too many IMO) commands to STOP, DROP THE KNIFE.
There'd be blood bubbles back 60 feet of where it started.
Scared to put a man down- afraid of potential consequences, yet puts himself right in the neck of the funnel.
Dumb.

Why weren't long guns employed? Trying not to armchair commando this video, but I'd have liked an 870 or an AR in my hands for something like this.

I've never been in law enforcement and thankful that I've never in civilian life been
in a situation that caused me to unload on another. When I was in Vietnam I fired
my weapon many times and I'm thankful again that I have no idea if I hit another
person or not. I can not imagine, nor do I want to second guess a member of any
law enforcement agency on how they handle that level of stress. There are all types
of personalities in this world and they cover the whole spectrum. Fortunately most
are what we call "normal". Folks in law enforcement are part of this. So are the "bad guys".
I just know there were many times when I was returning fire I was scared chitless. I can
only imagine those protecting us have similar feelings. It's a tough, tough job.

I agree with having a mental line in the sand.

When the second officer fired, his backstop was a white house 50-100 yards away. The berms that they walked past before they got to the main street would've been a better backstop.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top