JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The .44 Magnum is a very accurate cartridge. The Ruger single action pistols are very accurate guns.

You will want adjustable sights.

The .44 Magnum is a very powerful pistol caliber. The Ruger single action pistols are very strong guns and easily handle all published and factory loads.

People don't.

In my lifetime, I have met and witnessed only two shooters that could consistently, reliably and repeatedly shoot full-house .44 Magnum handgun loads to the amazing degree of accuracy the cartridge is capable of delivering. Much as with the high recoil (Magnum or otherwise) rifle calibers, those that claim such consistency frequently fail to deliver when asked to do so on paper.

The advice and knowledge here recommending reduced loads (or alternate cartridges) in a .44 Magnum pistol is well-founded. But if such emasculation of the cartridge is necessary to enjoy it, what is the point of owning a gun whose full potential is not always or frequently realized (or physically impossible to often realize)?

It is certainly NOT a cartridge of choice toward learning how to shoot powerful handguns skillfully.

The .44 Magnum is a very accurate cartridge. The Ruger single action pistols are very accurate guns.

You will want adjustable sights.

The .44 Magnum is a very powerful pistol caliber. The Ruger single action pistols are very strong guns and easily handle all published and factory loads.

People don't.

In my lifetime, I have met and witnessed only two shooters that could consistently, reliably and repeatedly shoot full-house .44 Magnum handgun loads to the amazing degree of accuracy the cartridge is capable of delivering. Much as with the high recoil (Magnum or otherwise) rifle calibers, those that claim such consistency frequently fail to deliver when asked to do so on paper.

The advice and knowledge here recommending reduced loads (or alternate cartridges) in a .44 Magnum pistol is well-founded. But if such emasculation of the cartridge is necessary to enjoy it, what is the point of owning a gun whose full potential is not always or frequently realized (or physically impossible to often realize)?

It is certainly NOT a cartridge of choice toward learning how to shoot powerful handguns skillfully.
Wise words, and true!
What do you think made those two shooters stand out? Was it physical attributes? Or experience, maybe discipline?

I don't care much for high recoil, Magnum rifles. But I do shoot some potent cartridges in competition, and am always trying to discipline my self to keep it together through a match. Some days I do better than others!
That being said, I try to be honest with myself. If I can't manage a firearm, I'll pass it along. My guns aren't ego extenders. If i can't achieve a satisfying level of consistency and accuracy, it's not much fun.
I love the boom-crack of my .44 carbine! And I'm getting pretty good with it. I hope it's the same with a revolver.

WOOF WOOF WOOF….. cough, cough!

I'm bust in' & lustin' after this 454 Casul Bisley!! It's been out of stock EVERYWHERE!! :s0054:

643BEB29-49C6-4393-8C6E-561EF74315CA.jpeg

But if such emasculation of the cartridge is necessary to enjoy it, what is the point of owning a gun whose full potential is not always or frequently realized (or physically impossible to often realize)?
because the guns are AWESOME regardless of shooting full power or reduced loads and some of them you can't get in other calibers. SBH for example only comes in 44 mag and higher. So I would say for people who want the guns but can't tolerate heavy recoil…. That's your answer.

Me personally, I love shooting magnum loads in my M69 (for those who don't know it's an L frame 5 shot 44 magnum that weighs only 37oz) . I can barely hit anything but it's still fun, more accurate than I am. My M29 Classic I shoot magnums decent. My SRH in 480, I only shoot full power and I can hit 10" gong consistently at about 30 yards. I have 9mm pistols I can't shoot that well. I could see the 44 magnum version being extremely tolerable even with standard magnum loads.

Two .44 Magnums and a Blackhawk:

These two .44's I own because I can shoot them well (even a cave man can do it). The Dan Wesson Silhouette rig is more accurate at 100 Yds than the Ruger.

1667077565006.jpeg

In a Blackhawk-size frame, the .41 Magnum is my great preference:
Toward hunting purposes, it is faster and with lighter recoil.

Early 3-Screw .41 Magnum Blackhawk, Herret oversize grips, Bianchi-supplied (Ruger stamped) flap holster on a Montana-style shoulder rig.

1667078169998.jpeg

The .44 and the .41 were designed to kill stuff. I feel they should be operated at or near their designed power, subject to the honest limitations of the shooter.

Two .44 Magnums and a Blackhawk:

These two .44's I own because I can shoot them well (even a cave man can do it). The Dan Wesson Silhouette rig is more accurate at 100 Yds than the Ruger.

View attachment 1301219

In a Blackhawk-size frame, the .41 Magnum is my great preference:
Toward hunting purposes, it is faster and with lighter recoil.

Early 3-Screw .41 Magnum Blackhawk, Herret oversize grips, Bianchi-supplied (Ruger stamped) flap holster on a Montana-style shoulder rig.

View attachment 1301222

The .44 and the .41 were designed to kill stuff. I feel they should be operated at or near their designed power, subject to the honest limitations of the shooter.
That dan wesson is a beauty!
I've heard some experienced shooters speak well of the .41 mag. It's something I've meant to look into.

@Sbarton - I have one that looks like this, but with the Hogue grips.
We should meet up at TCGC and you can shoot it to see how you like it. If you still have that bear grease, mo' bettah.

View attachment 1301246
I do still have some bear grease. A bunch of it as a matter of fact.
No body wanted any, and a little really goes a long way!
I'd love to take you up on your offer, I usually have fri- Sunday off, but the next couple weeks are busy, my wife just had surgery on Thursday and she'll be needing help for a bit.
Maybe we can set something up later in November?

I have a Blackhawk in 41 Mag, the 44 mag likes heaver bullets around 250+ grains with my personal loading being a 300 gr TC bullet. The 41 Mag likes lighter bullets around 210grs. I used to carry a .357 Mag with 180 gr bullets as my walk about gun but now I prefer the 41 Mag for that duty.

Thanks everybody for your feedback.
So much knowledge here, I knew you all would set me up right.
Here's what I've settled on based on my requirements and your input.
It's the super blackhawk bisley 5.5'barrel stainless. https://ruger.com/products/newModelSuperBlackhawkBisley/specSheets/0877.html

I wouldn't mind a blued one, but they don't seem to offer that combo blued.
A fine choice, and one of the guns you might gravitate toward and keep forever.
Or, someday, you'll come to understand you shoulda bought a .41. In that case, the .44 will sell quick.

One thing I don't like on some of the 44 Mag Super Blackhawks is the square knuckle buster trigger guard. It looks cool but hurts like he!!. Not all models have that "feature" so just be aware of that.
I am the exact opposite? I have big hands and the 'Blackhawk' grips rap my knuckle hard! But the 'Super Blackhawk'
square trigger guard does not.
My best advise is buy a Bisley 44. The grip ergos work MUCH better for handling recoil than the plow handle.
I am of the opposite opinion. The Super Blackhawk is designed to roll up in your hand under recoil. It
is effective works good. Do not change the grips it defeats the purpose. My only other advice is to
handload ammo. You can shoot lighter 180 grain bullets and load anywhere from 44 special power to
44 magnum power level. That Ruger is built like a tank.

A fine choice, and one of the guns you might gravitate toward and keep forever.
Or, someday, you'll come to understand you shoulda bought a .41. In that case, the .44 will sell quick.
Maybe some day, I have heard it's a great combo of potent and easy shooting.
But a big part of my interest in this gun is as a match for my browning 92.
No reason i can't have both, down the Road!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top