JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My best advise is buy a Bisley 44. The grip ergos work MUCH better for handling recoil than the plow handle.
I just did a little reading on that based on your recommendation. It does look like the ticket for shooting a stout cartridge like the .44.
And it sounds like it'd fit my big mitts better!

Man. Great info from everyone! You all really are helping me narrow this down.

I'll concur, the Bisley grip is mucho mo' betta. My all time favorite pistol is my Stainless Ruger Blackhawk Bisley in 45 Colt. I've got a Ruger Bisley 32 H&R mag as well that I bought for my wife.

I had a .44 Blackhawk years ago, and it was a fine gun.

I don't advise tracking a mountain lion into thick cover if you're hunting with a single-action revolver. Unless you can shoot like Mr. Munden.

Agree with most of the above. The .44 Blackhawk can be tamed somewhat with a Hogue grip, if you don't mind losing the wood grips. I have a bit of arthritis now and have switched to the .357.

I've got 5 Blackhawks so must like them. I don't have one in 44 Mag though for no real reason other than I've got a S&W 629. All of the New Model Blackhawks have the transfer bar safety so you can load 6. One thing I don't like on some of the 44 Mag Super Blackhawks is the square knuckle buster trigger guard. It looks cool but hurts like he!!. Not all models have that "feature" so just be aware of that. Other than that they are very reliable and accurate.
I have a SRH in 480 Ruger and with the stock grips the round trigger guard would hurt my knuckle just like people say the square guard would. Changed grips to a set that filled the gap better and it fixed the issue, so that's what I recommend to people who have that issue with any revolver.

Agree with most of the above. The .44 Blackhawk can be tamed somewhat with a Hogue grip, if you don't mind losing the wood grips. I have a bit of arthritis now and have switched to the .357.
The nice thing about 44 magnum is you can also shoot 44 special. HMS makes a 44 spl cowboy load that even in my 36oz SW M69 it feels like a 9mm.

I had a .44 Blackhawk years ago, and it was a fine gun.

I don't advise tracking a mountain lion into thick cover if you're hunting with a single-action revolver. Unless you can shoot like Mr. Munden.
Haha, Jerry miculek I am not!
And that's not a lesson I'd like to learn the hard way.

It would be really hard to go wrong with the Ruger. Great bang for the buck. If you're open to a double-action, I wouldn't rule out Smith & Wesson either. Oh and happy birthday. :)

The nice thing about 44 magnum is you can also shoot 44 special. HMS makes a 44 spl cowboy load that even in my 36oz SW M69 it feels like a 9mm.
That's what I'm learning about .44 mag. It's really adaptable, and acurate in all of it's adaptations!
I shoot a silhouette match with my browning, for which I load a 205 grain bullet over a lighter load of universal. Hardly feel that, and I can pop rabbits at 100y all day with it.
Conversely, a 255g bullet over a near max load of w296 feels almost like my .308!

It would be really hard to go wrong with the Ruger. Great bang for the buck. If you're open to a double-action, I wouldn't rule out Smith & Wesson either. Oh and happy birthday. :)
Yeah, there's a model 29 s&w .44 mag in the classies that I've been eying!
Thanks, my b' bay was a while back, but I'd like to get this before I turn 45!
My shooting and buying have slowed down lately, I have a 7 month old boy that manages to appropriate all my time and fun money!

Hi friends,
I've been thinking about buying a ruger blackhawk in .44 mag this year. I turned 44 this year, and I thought it'd be appropriate to celibrate with a .44 mag revolver!
I have a couple italian made .357 ssa reproductions that I shoot quite well, so I think a blackhawk would suit me nicely. And it'd make a nice companion to my browning 92 .44 mag!

While I do own a couple already, I'm not really up on what to look for when buying a revolver.
What do I need to look out for so I don't end up with a lemon? What are the particular problems and weaknesses one finds with a blackhawk?
Should I look for an older one, or is the new style better? Is there any thing else you all think I should know?

Thanks a bunch!
I can't comment on the SBH but I do have a SRH and they are about the same size, the SBH being a little smaller.

If your buying new just test function and you should be good. Buying used, check the same thing but also check the lockup. To do this pull the hammer back, hold it and while pulling the trigger slowly lower the hammer, make sure to hold the trigger depressed (or dry fire it if it's a newer one). With the trigger depressed, try to rotate the cylinder around left and right. There should be very little play. If it's out of spec it should be fairly obvious. Also try and move the cylinder forward and backward, there should be zero play front to back.

They are big revolvers. Not 500SW big but still a handful. Not a bad thing IMO, but you have to be okay with shooting large handguns.

44 magnum has a lot of concussion. Recoil depends on the firearm. A lot of people can't deal with the intensity of it even in larger low recoiling guns.

The beauty of the 44mag I'm is you can also shoot 44spl. HSM has a very low recoiling cowboy load in 44spl. So don't let people turn you off of the 44mag because they say it's too much power.

My SRH is actually in 480 Ruger but I have two SW revolvers in 44mag so I know what's it's like to own and shoot 44mg.

As for new or old, I'd you plan to shoot it often get a newer one with the transfer bar. If you want it more for novelty and don't think you will shoot it much, more something to show how cool your 44 is (because they are super cool) get an older one.

Ruger also makes a Vaquero in 44mag. They are smaller than the SBH. I have been considering buying one but don't like buying online and haven't seen one locally.

Good luck. I know you will enjoy it.

Super Blackhawk alias the Knuckle Buster (7.5" standard)...........Everyone needs one. Now go get reloading gear so you can afford to shoot it, the cost won't take long to even out.

Of course, they have shorter versions with rounded trigger guards now but why waste all that powder may as well wait for next year and get a .45 lc. Now can anybody tell me where I can get a .56 I need ideas for my B-day.

Last Edited:
Thanks, my b' bay was a while back, but I'd like to get this before I turn 45!
My shooting and buying have slowed down lately, I have a 7 month old boy that manages to appropriate all my time and fun money!
I have a model 29 and an M69. They are both great guns. If you get a 29 or 629, get the JM or Wilson Combat trigger kits. It mags the trigger phenomenal. The M69 already has a nice trigger but the DA is still heavy so I swapped the return spring on mine. The M69 is my favorite revolver. L frames just valence so well, but full power 44mags are rough. Doable, but oof! 20 rounds and you get your man card. 😆

I'll concur, the Bisley grip is mucho mo' betta. My all time favorite pistol is my Stainless Ruger Blackhawk Bisley in 45 Colt. I've got a Ruger Bisley 32 H&R mag as well that I bought for my wife.
I have the non Bisley. Mine is awfully fun. I modded mine with a pair of maple, celtic cross grips. Not my favorite pistol, but top 5. I keep wanting to get one in 30 carbine or 44 mag

Last Edited:
The Smith & Wesson Model 29 Classic (6½" barrel) is my all time favorite handgun. The 629 with 5" barrel ain't bad either. (Parenthetically, so far, I've found the Astra 44 very nice, but I'd go with a Ruger or Smith if you are looking to buy new and domestic.)

Anywho, enjoy. :)

Super Blackhawk alias the Knuckle Buster (7.5" standard)...........Everyone needs one. Now go get reloading gear so you can afford to shoot it, the cost won't take long to even out.

Of course, they have shorter versions with rounded trigger guards now but why waste all that powder may as well wait for next year and get a .45 lc. Now can anybody tell me where I can get a .56 I need ideas for my B-day.
Colt Naturally!
1666980258467.png

I have the non Bisley. Mine is awfully fun. I modded mine with a pair of maple, celtic cross grips. Not my favorite pistol, but top 5. I keep wanting to get one in 30 carbine or 44 mag
I've got the 30 Carbine and it's LOUD but fun to shoot because there isn't much recoil. I'd like to take mine bunny blasting in Eastern Oregon some day.

Edited to add that the last time I went bunny blasting I took my 45 Colt loaded with Speer flying ashtrays and made bunny snot.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top