JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You should save a few more bucks and get a Freedom Arms :s0005:
Bad influence!
I was looking at those, and the bfr, last night.
That freedom arms premiere grade mod 97, with an octagonal barrel. Whow man, that's a fantastic gun! Almost to pretty to put in a holster.

I am the exact opposite? I have big hands and the 'Blackhawk' grips rap my knuckle hard! But the 'Super Blackhawk'
square trigger guard does not.

I am of the opposite opinion. The Super Blackhawk is designed to roll up in your hand under recoil. It
is effective works good. Do not change the grips it defeats the purpose. My only other advice is to
handload ammo. You can shoot lighter 180 grain bullets and load anywhere from 44 special power to
44 magnum power level. That Ruger is built like a tank.
That's good to know. I too have big paws, and find most Handguns too small. I guess i need to get my hands on a couple to see what i prefer.

The choice doesn't seem like a problem I'll have, my preferred gun doesn't seem to be available anywhere online right now!

Hi friends,
I've been thinking about buying a ruger blackhawk in .44 mag this year. I turned 44 this year, and I thought it'd be appropriate to celibrate with a .44 mag revolver!
I have a couple italian made .357 ssa reproductions that I shoot quite well, so I think a blackhawk would suit me nicely. And it'd make a nice companion to my browning 92 .44 mag!

While I do own a couple already, I'm not really up on what to look for when buying a revolver.
What do I need to look out for so I don't end up with a lemon? What are the particular problems and weaknesses one finds with a blackhawk?
Should I look for an older one, or is the new style better? Is there any thing else you all think I should know?

Thanks a bunch!
I have 3, they are tanks. If you buy your ammo off the shelf, get the .44 mag. If you reload, get the .45 Colt.

Bad influence!
I was looking at those, and the bfr, last night.
That freedom arms premiere grade mod 97, with an octagonal barrel. Whow man, that's a fantastic gun! Almost to pretty to put in a holster.
Many of my friends wives have called me a bad influence on their husbands :s0005:

OP:
A little historical note on Ruger 44 mag: A lifetime ago I was first introduced to 200 yard IMHSA shooting via a long barrel Blackhawk. A gunsmith I knew had been yammering about this 'new sport'. I had never heard of handgun targets at 50-200 yards. He gave suitable instruction, and chambered his special load, telling me to keep the sight (stock iron version) exactly where I wanted it to hit.

I was careful to stance & focus my eyes on that steel Ram so far away. I aimed (standing up) and let off slowly. The thing went KaBLAMMO and smoke covered me momentarily. Ram still upright. I started to turn away (only 1 round loaded) when suddenly there was the magnificent sound of steel reacting to lead so far away, and that tiny 60# target simply fell over backwards. First time I'd fired a 44 mag. I was hooked, although these days I can barely see the hillside let alone the Ram.

And the recoil was very comfortable despite heavy loads encountered later in the day.

Regarding hand size vs. handgun grip size. You just have to find what works for you. I have big ol' bear paws and don't care for the Ruger square trigger guard. Others prefer it. I think some like to choke up in the handle while others like the grip more centered in their hand. There is no one and true answer, only what works best for you.

Ruger super RedHawks are some of my favorite, you'll love it.

2D84CF79-275C-4762-BA7B-5C4C111CE7DA.jpeg 85DA23FF-C6E7-46A8-9599-778DB22F8B1D.jpeg

Last Edited:
What do I need to look out for so I don't end up with a lemon?
With a Ruger product, you don't have to worry too much about that. Because if you do get a gun that has problems, you can send it back to Ruger and they will fix it, usually for free.

The only problem I ever had with a Blackhawk was one of the .41 mags I had, it would blow out the base pin under recoil. You can't really ascertain this before shooting it, which you usually can't do prior to purchase. But it's fixable.

OP:
A little historical note on Ruger 44 mag: A lifetime ago I was first introduced to 200 yard IMHSA shooting via a long barrel Blackhawk. A gunsmith I knew had been yammering about this 'new sport'. I had never heard of handgun targets at 50-200 yards. He gave suitable instruction, and chambered his special load, telling me to keep the sight (stock iron version) exactly where I wanted it to hit.

I was careful to stance & focus my eyes on that steel Ram so far away. I aimed (standing up) and let off slowly. The thing went KaBLAMMO and smoke covered me momentarily. Ram still upright. I started to turn away (only 1 round loaded) when suddenly there was the magnificent sound of steel reacting to lead so far away, and that tiny 60# target simply fell over backwards. First time I'd fired a 44 mag. I was hooked, although these days I can barely see the hillside let alone the Ram.

And the recoil was very comfortable despite heavy loads encountered later in the day.
Some fun!
Reminds me of my first time shooting my winchester highwall with bp. Boom-puff of smoke.................ding!
I was hooked!

Regarding hand size vs. handgun grip size. You just have to find what works for you. I have big ol' bear paws and don't care for the Ruger square trigger guard. Others prefer it. I think some like to choke up in the handle while others like the grip more centered in their hand. There is no one and true answer, only what works best for you.
I've noticed that with my army san marcos .357 revolvers. They seemed too small for my hands, but turns out, I shoot them better than the glock 21 that I've been shooting for 25 years!

That's what really got me interested in pursuing revolvers. I've never been a very good shot with a handgun, until I shot my .357s.

received_1064120364181017.jpeg

I've noticed that with my army san marcos .357 revolvers. They seemed too small for my hands, but turns out, I shoot them better than the glock 21 that I've been shooting for 25 years!

That's what really got me interested in pursuing revolvers. I've never been a very good shot with a handgun, until I shot my .357s.

View attachment 1301715
I've got a Taylors and Company Ranch Hand in 38-40 that accurate and fun to shoot as well.

For what it's worth the Ruger Bisley is a much more comfortable platform to shoot .44 magnum. I have owned several Super Black both old and new models including a Black Hawk .44 mag, yes they did make them. I got rid of all of them as they just aren't any fun to shoot. I still own a 629 Smith which I still enjoy shooting along with my 5 1/2" Ruger Bisley .45 long colt.

Late to this tread.

Back in the early 80's, working with a guy named Brian Pearce, I took a blue 7.5 SBH and cut it down to 4 5/8 (before Vaquero) and swapped out the gripframe with an alloy Blackhawk one.

Balance is perfect, and it shoots like a demon. I put ivory micarta grips on it. It's a beauty.

If you never found a SBH to buy, I have a minty prewarning 1974 blue 7.5.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top