JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
I'm not new with guns by a long shot. Acquired all my guns pre-bubblegum law... Then lost them all in the boating accident. Since then, I have bought a few over the counter. Pretty straight forward.

But the new laws are something I just can't seem to avoid now that I'm looking for a new handgun and getting a few ARs.

So do I have this right... I found a matched complete upper and lower from someone on this site that I want to buy. He lives about an hour and half away.

So I'm going to drive down and buy the complete upper. We'll meet at an FFL dealer / gun shop in his area and the BGC and paperwork. Since it is not a combined purchase of a complete upper and lower combined, I can bring it home that day.

At another time and place, I will get the complete lower.

Is that how it works? This is all hypothetical of course.

Last Edited:
Only the Serial Numbered Part needs to go through an FFL for a legal transfer.

An AR's Upper, is NOT the ser # part. So, why complicate things?

Aloha, Mark

PS....personally (if I were the seller), I'd just ask you to meet me at the FFL's place of business.....ONCE. Done and dusted.

Last Edited:
I'm not new with guns by a long shot. Acquired all my guns pre-bubblegum law... Then lost them all in the boating accident. Since then, I have bought a few over the counter. Pretty straight forward.

But the new laws are something I just can't seem to avoid now that I'm looking for a new handgun and getting a few ARs.

So do I have this right... I found a matched complete upper and lower from someone on this site that I want to buy. He lives about an hour and half away.

So I'm going to drive down and buy the complete upper. We'll meet at an FFL dealer / gun shop in his area and the BGC and paperwork. Since it is not a complete upper and lower, I can bring it home that day.

At another time and place, I will get the complete lower.

Is that how it works? This is all hypothetical of course.
First it's a complete upper and lower.
Then it's not a complete upper and lower.
You're making my head hurt.

Maybe we need some definitions here ?

You can have a complete upper or a stripped upper.
The stripped upper is just an unpopulated, bare upper receiver.

You can also have a complete lower or stripped lower.
The stripped lower, you guessed it, is just a bare, unpopulated lower receiver.

To cut to the chase, with an AR, the lower receiver has the serial number and must go through an FFL to be transferred. Doesn't matter if it's populated or not.
It is the only "controlled part" on an AR.

ETA:
In regards to AR nomenclature, I think you're misusing the word "complete"

Last Edited:
First it's a complete upper and lower.
Then it's not a complete upper and lower.
You're making my head hurt.

Maybe we need some definitions here ?

You can have a complete upper or a stripped upper.
The stripped upper is just an unpopulated, bare upper receiver.

You can also have a complete lower or stripped lower.
The stripped lower, you guessed it, is just a bare, unpopulated lower receiver.

To cut to the chase, with an AR, the lower receiver has the serial number and must go through an FFL to be transferred. Doesn't matter if it's populated or not.
It is the only "controlled part" on an AR.

ETA:
In regards to AR nomenclature, I think you're misusing the word "complete"
Thanks for the help. Still learning here. First experience with ARs.

I worded it weird and think I fixed it above. In all instances, I mean to say complete upper and complete lower. Just not paired together at the FFL dealer... I meant to say that since I was just bringing in a complete LOWER and not the whole thing (matched upper and lower), that I am good to go that same day... Or do I still have it wrong?

"To cut to the chase, with an AR, the lower receiver has the serial number and must go through an FFL to be transferred. Doesn't matter if it's populated or not.
It is the only "controlled part" on an AR."

And in this example, I can avoid the 10 day waiting period?

Thanks for the help. Still learning here. First experience with ARs.

I worded it weird and think I fixed it above. In all instances, I mean to say complete upper and complete lower. Just not paired together at the FFL dealer... I meant to say that since I was just bringing in a complete LOWER and not the whole thing (matched upper and lower), that I am good to go that same day... Or do I still have it wrong?

"To cut to the chase, with an AR, the lower receiver has the serial number and must go through an FFL to be transferred. Doesn't matter if it's populated or not.
It is the only "controlled part" on an AR."

And in this example, I can avoid the 10 day waiting period?
I think that you're into the 10 day waiting period no matter what.
WA is now treating a handgun purchase and a semi-auto purchase the same, AFAIK.
Someone else in the know will chime in.

So, Washington purchasers of semi-automatic rifles and pistols now face a ten day waiting period, whether or not they possess a valid CPL.

Please correct me, if I am wrong, but didn't initiative 1639 require additional fees to purchase a "semi-automatic assault rifle", along with proof of completion of required safety training? Also, isn't this circumvented by purchasing a completed lower separately, since a lower (either stripped or complete) is not by itself a "semi-automatic assault rifle"?

Please correct me, if I am wrong, but didn't initiative 1639 require additional fees to purchase a "semi-automatic assault rifle", along with proof of completion of required safety training?
I just purchased such a rifle and no "safety training" was required.
If I paid more, it wasn't much or I would have remembered.

Also, isn't this circumvented by purchasing a completed lower separately, since a lower (either stripped or complete) is not by itself a "semi-automatic assault rifle"?
With an AR lower you are caught between a rock and a hard place.
It can be built into either a pistol or a semi-auto rifle

If you happen to buy them separately that's one thing. If you're buying both parts from the same person and posting here to find out how to circumvent the law, I don't think we should try to help you. Since you say "I found a matched complete upper and lower from someone on this site that I want to buy" it sounds a lot like the latter, which would be bad for the site and especially bad for the seller. I suggest you just wait the 10 days.

If you happen to buy them separately that's one thing. If you're buying both parts from the same person and posting here to find out how to circumvent the law, I don't think we should try to help you. Since you say "I found a matched complete upper and lower from someone on this site that I want to buy" it sounds a lot like the latter, which would be bad for the site and especially bad for the seller. I suggest you just wait the 10 days.
Perfect reply.

Thread locked...

Status

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads