JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was shopping for reloading supplies online and stumbled across these, had heard of them before but hadn't really given them much thought. But now I'm thinking these could be just the ticket to allow some winter time trigger time in my shop, without pissing off the wife or putting holes in my walls. Has anyone tried them, and if so, what did you think? And if you've tried more than one brand/type, any preference, and why? Thanks.

Dave

I have done the x-rubber bullets they work great and are reusable.
Just make sure you "notch" the rims to identify the .080" primer hole modification.
They also will go right thru a cardboard box hit the concrete wall and be lost forever in the basement after nearly taking your eye out.
I read that somewhere...

I have done the x-rubber bullets they work great and are reusable.
Just make sure you "notch" the rims to identify the .080" primer hole modification.
They also will go right thru a cardboard box hit the concrete wall and be lost forever in the basement after nearly taking your eye out.
I read that somewhere...

Read that somewhere, huh ;)? Fortunately, I'm used to avoiding ricochets in my shop, I've been shooting air guns in there for years, so I've gotten pretty good at corralling flying projectiles. That said, the roll-up door that's my usual backstop has a few battle scars.

Another question, do you need a press, or can they just be pushed into the case? I'm thinking of using these with .45 ACP, I have both large and small primer cases, any reason to prefer one over the other? Thanks.

Dave

The primer is the charge.;;;.080" primer hole marked let it fly, mag primers if you want.
You push them into a sized (one time) case, MARKED. With your fingers. Maybe a light stab with a screw driver or NOT.
Stand Back!

Those were made by CCI and came with the cases and the bullets. The 38s came with their own cases or you could use regular. They also made them in 45 caliber without the cases. You used your own. They could be used with 45Colt or 45ACP. Of course the ACP would not function in an automatic but were normally used in revolvers. The Brass cases worked best if you drilled out the flash hole. Of course you need to mark those cases so you don't use them for regular loading. Adding a half grain of Bullseye gave you a bit more range. You could use one of the foam ear plugs for shooting stray cats or dogs. The plug will be burning but not do any real damage but they do "Educate" the critter.

They're a kick in the butt.
I would spice them up with .5 grains of 231
The cases split if you go much over that.
I shot a feral cat in the a$$ once and that sucker went straight up about 3 feet and was going about 30 MPH when he hit the ground.
It was a serious ambush to get the shot. They are sneaky.

speerplastic.jpg

Last Edited:
I have used the CCI plastic bullets but realized quickly the plastic cases sometimes misfire due to the 'cushioning' effect of the plastic so I went to standard, sized cases.
I did NOT however enlarge the flash holes and they shot just fine. Not super accurate in all guns but enough for some fun inside practice.
AND with magnum primers the CCIs will punch through a coffee can at about 20' so be careful!

I forgot to mention that you should set-up a back drop I've used an old GI wool blanket. Just drop it behind your target holder leaving a foot or so on the ground. The bullets will be stopped and then slide down where you can easily pick them up.

The use of Magnum Primers will give them extra range and I have seen better accuracy, too.

I forgot to mention that you should set-up a back drop I've used an old GI wool blanket. Just drop it behind your target holder leaving a foot or so on the ground. The bullets will be stopped and then slide down where you can easily pick them up.

The use of Magnum Primers will give them extra range and I have seen better accuracy, too.

Good little trick, we use to use large of cardboard boxes filled with more cardboard pieces, replace the the pieces every now and again, when when run out out we'd empty the boxes. Lot of time the rounds the stayed in the boxes until the next shooting session.

The company was renting a house for us (construction guys) in Grants Pass.
We taped a cardboard box to the wall up near the ceiling and would plink while watching TV.
My spiced up loads went through the box.
Oops

:oops:

Last Edited:
You know what's a lot louder than you might expect? A 1911 firing plastic bullets inside with no ear protection. :eek:

Good to know, I was kind of wondering about that. As to cats, there are a couple of not-feral ones that like to use my vegetable garden beds as litter boxes, as well as hunting "my" song birds. Given the chance, I'll use something more lethal, but these might be a viable alternative as a "discouragement". Anyway, thanks for the info guys, I'll definitely be ordering some soon. Later.

Dave

I have no love for feral cats but...
These bullets could break the skin causing infection and possible lingering death.
Kill em quick or let em be...
Nothing Bigger than mice or rats with the CCI plastic bullets.

Read that somewhere, huh ;)? Fortunately, I'm used to avoiding ricochets in my shop, I've been shooting air guns in there for years, so I've gotten pretty good at corralling flying projectiles. That said, the roll-up door that's my usual backstop has a few battle scars.

Another question, do you need a press, or can they just be pushed into the case? I'm thinking of using these with .45 ACP, I have both large and small primer cases, any reason to prefer one over the other? Thanks.

Dave
Have u tried duct seal as a bullet trap? That seems like it would work good for plastic bullets because 1" thick stops pellets and thicker stops .22lr.

Gardner Bender 1 lb. Plug Duct Seal Compound-DS-110 - The Home Depot

Have u tried duct seal as a bullet trap? That seems like it would work good for plastic bullets because 1" thick stops pellets and thicker stops .22lr.

Gardner Bender 1 lb. Plug Duct Seal Compound-DS-110 - The Home Depot

I've been using Duct Seal for a silent pellet trap for years, works great and lasts pretty much forever. I did have to reinforce my target box, though. I was chrony testing a 75+ FPE air rifle in my shop, noticed I was getting some splash off my shop door, when I checked it, it had pounded right through 4" of duct seal as well as the steel electrical box that holds it :eek:! Never let anyone tell you that airguns are just "toys" :rolleyes:. Good idea, though, I may just have to give it a try. Later.

Dave

I've been using Duct Seal for a silent pellet trap for years, works great and lasts pretty much forever. I did have to reinforce my target box, though. I was chrony testing a 75+ FPE air rifle in my shop, noticed I was getting some splash off my shop door, when I checked it, it had pounded right through 4" of duct seal as well as the steel electrical box that holds it :eek:! Never let anyone tell you that airguns are just "toys" :rolleyes:. Good idea, though, I may just have to give it a try. Later.

Dave
Holy smokes 75 ft lbs! That airgun packs a wallop! Reminds me of a gun I used to have. It was a customized pcp discovery that I won in a raffle that was all tricked out for max power. It was so loud I think I shot it all of 3 times, maybe.

75 ft lbs is over some of the 22lr subsonic rounds in power. That's another great indoor gun. A 22lr with long barrel and subsonic loads. I did some sound testing of various rounds in a buddy's garage. My personal cutoff for what was "too loud" (in the sense that neighbors could hear) was 96 decibels. Any of the long barrel 22lr we tried with subsonics were quiet. With suppressor they were ridiculously quiet.

Holy smokes 75 ft lbs! That airgun packs a wallop! Reminds me of a gun I used to have. It was a customized pcp discovery that I won in a raffle that was all tricked out for max power. It was so loud I think I shot it all of 3 times, maybe.

75 ft lbs is over some of the 22lr subsonic rounds in power. That's another great indoor gun. A 22lr with long barrel and subsonic loads. I did some sound testing of various rounds in a buddy's garage. My personal cutoff for what was "too loud" (in the sense that neighbors could hear) was 96 decibels. Any of the long barrel 22lr we tried with subsonics were quiet. With suppressor they were ridiculously quiet.

Yeah, it was one of the Korean lever actions in .25 caliber. It would actually go higher, with the right pellet and tune I could get just under 100 FPE, but accuracy dropped off and air consumption went through the roof. At 75, it was much better behaved, and made a very viable small game rifle. My sole remaining serious air gun is a Benjamin Marauder PCP, also in .25 caliber, but it's best at 35-40 FPE. Again, I could tune it higher, and with some different parts, much higher, but it just isn't necessary for what I use that rifle for, whacking garden raiding pests at ranges of 50 yards or less. For that, it's perfect, and many a marmot has fallen to a head shot from the Mrod. Added bonus, unlike your old Disco, it has a fully shrouded barrel, so much quieter, and a near match grade trigger, mine is currently set at about 1.5 lbs. and is very crisp. Only downside is, most of the other shooters I have have much heavier triggers, so I have to retrain my finger every time I pick up the Mrod :rolleyes:. I've had more than a few go off before I intended, which may be one of the reasons my trigger discipline is very good :D. Later.

Dave

Cool. My disco was .25 cal also with lothar Walther barrel. Currently all I have in airguns is marauder pistol (.22). I added the tko muzzle brake and it is a night and day difference in sound. I highly recommend the tko if u are interested in reducing sound. It is very effective.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top