JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here is the relevant text.

existing magazines exception:
(C) While engaging in the legal use of the large-capacity magazine, at a public or private shooting range or shooting gallery or for recreational activities such as hunting, to the extent permitted under state law;

Last page under the exceptions for magazines:

recreational activities should include target shooting as long as this is permitted on the land in which you are on, private and public land is included in above exception, so on BLM land there should not be any problems.

Last Edited:
Can you go shooting in national forest areas?
I've only been in one in Washington ( Staircase) and I didn't even consider going shooting there.
You "can", unless otherwise prohibited, which many are. Mainly those with larger public attractions.. or segregated into a "recreational area" and prohibited.

"Know before you go..."

My question is I fail to see how a state law can apply in the NF.
States have "stewardship/custody" and jurisdiction over federal lands within it's borders. The fed's can only intervene when jurisdiction is requested, granted by the state and accepted by federal authorities.

I'm no lawyer... but I think the fed laws have priority over state laws... for what is covered under fed law, but state laws apply in areas not directly covered by fed law. IOW, they don't overlap, but subject to both fed and state laws in part and parcel.

Y'all need to get active in voter registration drives at gunshows.

Other productive venues are car/truck shows, tractor pulls, motorcycle rallies, rodeos, and logger jamborees.

Avoid farmers markets as they draw too many hippies and vegans.

I think if you're in a 2A sanctuary county you're not likely to be targeted by LE for simply shooting on public land with standard capacity magazines
That's probably true. Considering how many sheriffs offices have spoken up to say they have no plans to investigate or persue things like private party sales, mag limits or other unconstitutional 2A infringments... I highly doubt anyone is going to catch any heat... unless you're just being a blantant a**hat with your firearms.

Don't take it as gospel, but I would expect.. at most... a warning with no additional follow-up or record of it. YMMV

You can engage in recreational activity involving firearms with standard capacity magazines to the extent permitted by law. Target shooting on public land is permitted by law, is it not? The only thing you need to do is keep them in a locked container separate from the firearm during transport to and from the site of the recreational activity. This is the way the law reads. Yes, I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night. :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top