JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Time for bolt action or lever guns

E7347935-D954-46F0-9643-F55E45B558C5.jpeg

With 114, fish cops have new authority to harass you over magazine size. It's only a class a misdemeanor, so only 364 days in jail and/or $6,250 fine for each offense. First there is possession outside off of your property and not at an actual range, then there will be possession without proving you had them before the ban. Since affirmative defense is baked into 114, you need to have proof that you're not violating the law. Popo doesn't need to prove anything, it's all up to you.

Someone didn't read the measure. Nowhere does it say you can't shoot or even suggest such.
I wonder if the OP means not being able to use standard mags in the outbacks... not that you can't still shoot there(?)

It does seem a little bit "gray" in that area. 114 says:

(C) While engaging in the legal use of the large-capacity magazine, at a public or private shooting range or shooting gallery or for recreational activities such as hunting, to the extent permitted under state law;

So... does "public or private shooting range" cover BLM and similar land? (Likely, no(?)) Does "recreational activities" cover it under "such as hunting" or will it be exclusive to hunting and not allowed during off seasons? Or it's covered and "such as hunting" is just one example(?).

At any rate, there seems to be a lot of room for interpretation by the LE agent present at the time you might be approached while plinking in the backwoods. Standard capacity mags isn't clearly allowed/disallowed in that situation where it's not an established shooting range... although... I would personally consider it well and good as a "recreational activity".

My opinion might not stop a person from pulling a charge anyway, though. 🤣

Last Edited:
I wonder if the OP means not being able to use standard mags in the outbacks... not that you can't still shoot there(?)

It does seem a little bit "gray" in that area. 114 says:

(C) While engaging in the legal use of the large-capacity magazine, at a public or private shooting range or shooting gallery or for recreational activities such as hunting, to the extent permitted under state law;

So... does "public or private shooting range" cover BLM and similar land? (Likely, no(?)) Does "recreational activities" cover it under "such as hunting" or will it be exclusive to hunting and not allowed during off seasons? Or it's covered and "such as hunting" is just one example(?).

At any rate, there seems to be a lot of room for interpretation by the LE agent present at the time you might be approached while plinking in the backwoods. Standard capacity mags isn't clearly allowed/disallowed in that situation where it's not an established shooting range... although... I would personally consider it well and good as a "recreational activity".

My opinion might not stop a person from pulling a charge anyway, though. 🤣
"or for recreational activities such as hunting, to the extent permitted under state law;"

The way I read that, if I am engaged in the recreational activity of target shooting I'm ok. The "such as hunting" language is just an example of a recreational activity. It doesn't say that its the only recreational activity permitted.

-E-

Someone didn't read the measure. Nowhere does it say you can't shoot or even suggest such.

With the added caveat..

(Can't go shoot in the woods) w/out substandard cap. mags that is.

I've got a handful around for my semi-auto rifles; 'cause they work a little better for sitting at the bench at my private range.

However I may be SOL if I wanted to go out to BLM land and shoot shotguns with some minis, or practice my bumpfire technique ;) :s0085:; as neither are allowed(or etiquette) at my range.

There could also be an occasion where I'd want to be able to reach a little further w/ some bolt-action hilltop to hilltop, and I might be limited in what other toys I might consider bringing. @$50 a pop for substandard mags for some of my Semi pistolso_O...Yeah, not so good with that -- knowing that a Freddy with a stick up his/her arse could roll up 'out of the blue' to check compliance.

Last Edited:
"or for recreational activities such as hunting, to the extent permitted under state law;"

The way I read that, if I am engaged in the recreational activity of target shooting I'm ok. The "such as hunting" language is just an example of a recreational activity. It doesn't say that its the only recreational activity permitted.

-E-
That's the way I would wanna read it to. I just don't know if an enforcement agent with a stick up his nethers would agree. It does leave some room for interpretation as to what consititues an "establish" recreationsal activity.... like hunting... vs... an ad hoc recreational activity because I damn well felt like popping off some smoke today. 🤪

That said... I never shoot at established public or private ranges and know exactly what my plan is for adjusting my shooting sessions. It involves hand signals... :s0140:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top