JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was wondering about the rules that regulate AR-15 pistols and AK Pistols. Were those a general set of regulations or do they apply just to those models of firearms. Could they be applied to other weapons as well. I had a discussion with a friend concerning this and we were curious if ammunition played any role or if it was specific firearms.

Thanks in advanced.

Reco

Heya PhysicsGuy.

Well basically does the regulation regaurding AR 15 pistols and AK Pistols apply to the firearms models directly or does it cover fire arms ingeneral?

like the design of the weapon it self. aka pistol only

Yes I am having the same question relate to this. They do have AR-15 and AK as pistols (the short carbon AR). Can we carrry and concealed these?

I believe we can because the ar pistol is marked Pistol Only thus making it a pistol? doesnt matter if ya wanna throw a Beta mag on there!! ehhe

but Im asking about something diffrent concerning possible new weapon design.

Reco

I believe we can because the ar pistol is marked Pistol Only thus making it a pistol? doesnt matter if ya wanna throw a Beta mag on there!! ehhe

but Im asking about something diffrent concerning possible new weapon design.

Reco

Yeah... yeah.... yeah :woot::s0164::yes::rockon::s0053: Can't wait for winter time for me to concealed ha ha ha j/k.... I believe .40/.45 is enought power already :) But it's nice to won one :)

Heya PhysicsGuy.

Well basically does the regulation regaurding AR 15 pistols and AK Pistols apply to the firearms models directly or does it cover fire arms ingeneral?

like the design of the weapon it self. aka pistol only

Well I dont believe that there are any "special" regulations for AR and AK pistols, just that they meet the definition of a pistol (aka no butt stock).

Firearm regulations are usually universal and follow specific legal descriptions of what a rifle, pistol, and shotgun are. The same laws apply to a glock as a AR pistol, and the same apply between a mosin and AR-15 rifle.

IIRC, for it to be a pistol, it must be first manufactured as a pistol. With items like the Mech-Tech conversions for Glocks and 1911s, since the weapon started out as a pistol, it's OK to turn it into a rifle, then back into pistol. Once it's a rifle, it is always a rifle in the eyes of the BATF. The only way to go about turning it into a pistol would be to do a SBR or SBS stamp.

IIRC, for it to be a pistol, it must be first manufactured as a pistol. With items like the Mech-Tech conversions for Glocks and 1911s, since the weapon started out as a pistol, it's OK to turn it into a rifle, then back into pistol. Once it's a rifle, it is always a rifle in the eyes of the BATF. The only way to go about turning it into a pistol would be to do a SBR or SBS stamp.

This doesnt make sense though for AR pistols. They all started as rifles but get pistol exempt status do to no stock. So if I wanted to create a new weapon it have to start as a pistol do you have to get it all licensed ect through ATF before it would then be classified as a pistol first? Where did the sudden approval to make AR pistols come from RRA makes all rifles and such but because they mark the recieve "Pistol Only" its a AR Pistol? Is the manufactured designation at creation on the itemand marking it as "pistol Only" then make it a pistol?

Reco

This doesnt make sense though for AR pistols. They all started as rifles but get pistol exempt status do to no stock. So if I wanted to create a new weapon it have to start as a pistol do you have to get it all licensed ect through ATF before it would then be classified as a pistol first? Where did the sudden approval to make AR pistols come from RRA makes all rifles and such but because they mark the recieve "Pistol Only" its a AR Pistol? Is the manufactured designation at creation on the itemand marking it as "pistol Only" then make it a pistol?

Reco

When they manufactured the lower, if I understand correctly, it has to either be registered as a pistol or rifle. If you get a lower that's registered as a pistol, it can be built into a rifle, but not the other way around. When any receiver is manufactured and registered, it has to be classified as something. When your local gun shop calls in the 4473 you'll hear the clerk say "pistol" or "rifle." I'm not a manufacturer, so I'm not sure how that all goes about, whether the weapon is registered at the time of manufacture or when sold...that I don't know.

I am not a lawyer, and I don't play one on TV...I'd contact the BATF if you want an answer that's not made up of things I've read on the internet :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews