JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't have all that many old price tags; I try to use up the oldest material first. But I think longingly back on a couple of close-out sales that I've been too. Butch's Gun Shop in north Seattle had a close-out sale of their reloading stuff about the time they took on paintball stuff. Their bullets and powder were marked down 90%. I bought a lot that day.

Another time, I can't remember the names of all the stores. There was a big-box style sporting goods store in Lynnwood, Wash. diagonally across from James Village, that one I don't remember the name of. They got taken over by, I believe it was Sportsman's Warehouse, which was moving everything over to a different location a few miles away. Except for Coleman lantern fuel and ammunition. A gun nut friend of mine at work told me about this and that they were having a sale. I went over there after work, I think the stuff was 70% off. I was driving a 1972 Ford Custom 500 sedan then, and those have a big trunk. I filled the trunk up, the rear axle was almost on the snubbers. The next week, this same guy comes up to me and says, "You know that ammo is on sale for 90% off now." And it was true, I drove over there on my lunch hour and loaded up again. By this time the selection wasn't very good but I bought all kinds of shotgun shells including steel shot, buckshot and expensive sabot slug rounds, etc. I remember seeing piles of 10mm Auto ammo sitting there but I didn't have one at the time and left that to someone else. Factory hollow point .30-30's, I'd never even seen those before.

I like those 90% off sales.

Had a few boxes handy. Bunch more, but they're buried. Sort of.
IMG_3057.JPG

IMG_3060.JPG

IMG_3059.JPG
IMG_3058.JPG

Of note is that the Winchester 54 was made from 1925-1936. It was the predecessor of the Model 70. So, this ammo dates from somewhere in the '35-'36 time frame. $1.95 was a lot of money!

EDIT: The .220 was introduced in 1935, and the Win M70 in 1937, so the ammo is '35-'37. AFAIK.

Last Edited:
another 'drug store' source in Boise circa 1960s was 'Skaggs'. They had boxes of 22LR for under 50 cents. In the 1966ish era you had to sign a purchase sheet for any ammo sales. :cool:

Yeah, Skaggs was cool! The Payless was awesome! You had to go through the store to the back where the drugstore was. They should have called this, "Payless Drug and Guns"! I went in there just before they closed and they had a gorgeous Model 17 in 8 3/8" (my favorite length) and a Model 27 w/the mahogany box, several other great guns. Among them a Browning Medalist and an Auto Mag (I've been kicking my self ever since then for not picking it up!). I did get the 17 & the 27 along with a couple of the S&W knives ($35!). All in all, I walked out with a bunch of hardware. They closed shortly after this. Missed out on the clearance!

Yeah, Skaggs was cool! The Payless was awesome! You had to go through the store to the back where the drugstore was. They should have called this, "Payless Drug and Guns"! I went in there just before they closed and they had a gorgeous Model 17 in 8 3/8" (my favorite length) and a Model 27 w/the mahogany box, several other great guns. Among them a Browning Medalist and an Auto Mag (I've been kicking my self ever since then for not picking it up!). I did get the 17 & the 27 along with a couple of the S&W knives ($35!). All in all, I walked out with a bunch of hardware. They closed shortly after this. Missed out on the clearance!

You been in "Ideeho" for all these years? Never heard "Scaggs" mentioned on here before. They were in Utah/Salt Lake Valley years ago. '60s/'70s for sure. I figure it was an Idaho chain too maybe? The name just sounds like another for "Bar flies" after so many years. :s0140:

Dang! I got some pretty old boxes, but none of them have price tags? Got this stuff when me Dad gave me his old guns back in '09. That box had been on the shelf in our basement since before I was born I suspect.

"The Box"

Date on the box is less than a couple weeks before I was born. We lived in a tiny apartment, or so I was told, for two years that it took Dad the better part of to build our house. He did a lot of the work himself. The two car, brick garage, he did all himself shortly after the house was finished.

1604688491198.png

1604688557813.png

1604688608409.png

1604688666400.png
The .30-06 brass is head stamped "Den 42". The Redfield sight box has a dozen or so live primers. Old school rounded outer surface primers. The lead slugs are .405"/259gr. I believe Dad cast those himself for the Winchester M '86, manufactured 1890+/-, in .40-82 that had the period correct mold/decapper/seater tool that went with it. The Hoppe's gun cleaning patch box is full of patches.

Butch's Gun Shop in north Seattle

Butch's was a real smoker's heaven. All the employees were smokers, the walls and fixtures were stained and sticky with nicotine residue. It was a really crummy and dirty place. It was right on Aurora Ave. and I believe there was a residence on the property. I bought a few guns there over the years. They were in business for a long time. I still have a 28 ga. shotgun that I bought there for next to nothing. It was in an older part of town and my impression was that a lot of old clunker guns that had been drifting around for many years found there way there.

You been in "Ideeho" for all these years? Never heard "Scaggs" mentioned on here before. They were in Utah/Salt Lake Valley years ago. '60s/'70s for sure. I figure it was an Idaho chain too maybe? The name just sounds like another for "Bar flies" after so many years. :s0140:

Yes, all these years! I was one of the "Bar Flies". Got a lot of cool stuff there. Let's not forget, Pennywise Drug, Buttrey's (a grocery store that sold guns & ammo!), Grand Central... ahhh, I could go on and on. A lot of local gun shops from the 60's and 70's that have gone. There was one, right in downtown Boise, that if you got to know the owners well, they would let you go down to the basement and shoot on their 100 yard indoor range!! Everything from H&R's to Weatherby's! They had an excellent selection of Model 27's and 29's, including the factory engraved, "A's", 'B's" and "C's".

Did I mention... those were the days!! @Mikej, thanx for the little reminiscence!

Yes, all these years! I was one of the "Bar Flies". Got a lot of cool stuff there. Let's not forget, Pennywise Drug, Buttrey's (a grocery store that sold guns & ammo!), Grand Central... ahhh, I could go on and on. A lot of local gun shops from the 60's and 70's that have gone. There was one, right in downtown Boise, that if you got to know the owners well, they would let you go down to the basement and shoot on their 100 yard indoor range!! Everything from H&R's to Weatherby's! They had an excellent selection of Model 27's and 29's, including the factory engraved, "A's", 'B's" and "C's".

Did I mention... those were the days!! @Mikej, thanx for the little reminiscence!

"Grand Central" yes...Don't recognize the others. We had "Woolworths" back then though. I wasn't a gun person as a kid, so "Gun Stuff" meant nothing to me. Dad had old rifles displayed, (Real old, M66, M86, Remington rolling block, Mauser etc.) resting on nails over the brick fireplace in the basement for many years. I really didn't pay much attention to them...Until he told me to take them in 2009. Dad (my avatar BTW. Having fun in a gifted limo ride) did a stint right after he got out of The Navy in '47 in a gunshop with his brother. I imagine he picked up those junker rifles with the intent of "fixing" them. He only fixed one. His deer rifle was a fully butchered Model 17, beautifully re-blued, with no identifying marks left anywhere. The only way "I" was able to ID it was because of the safety on the right side. As far as I know, he shot one deer with it. He didn't care for that and never hunted again, as I understand it.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads