JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which brand of Truck?

• Ford

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Chevy

Votes: 11 11.0%
  • Ram

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Toyota

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • Nissan

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Carrots

Votes: 8 8.0%

• Total voters
Reactions
Okay, since there was a thread posted earlier about a new "pick up" that I and several others thought was about trucks and I'm in the market for a new truck, thought I'd actually start a thread. So, have at it. Right now, it's between Ram and Tundra. Love the ride and feel of the Ram but have owned Toyotas and know they are bullet proof. Before anyone starts on buying American, Tundras are made in Texas. Poll included for easy response.

1996 PS 250 5 speed.

unnamed.jpg

19 mpg freeway, Completely stock and like excellent condition inside and out. It's not for city driving but I manage.

Last Edited:
Okay, since there was a thread posted earlier about a new "pick up" that I and several others thought was about trucks and I'm in the market for a new truck, thought I'd actually start a thread. So, have at it. Right now, it's between Ram and Tundra. Love the ride and feel of the Ram but have owned Toyotas and know they are bullet proof. Before anyone starts on buying American, Tundras are made in Texas. Poll included for easy response.
Go with the Tundra you won't regret it. I had a 2003 loved it , but then they came out with the new Tundra in 2007 I purchased a 2007 Tundra crewmax the power is incredible, and it's so quite to ride in.

Gotta stand up here and vote for the Ram. I've had 3 of them in a row (1999 1/2T extra cab, 2007 3/4T MegaCab & a 2014 3/4T CrewCab) and they have all given great service.

The first two, with a 5.2L & 5.7L gas engine respectively, both saw 140K or more miles on them with no significant issues. The last one is just getting broken in. :)

Pic4.jpg

091814SwiftyRam03_zpsdb899799.jpg

041615%2002_zpsfc21irin.jpg

It really depends the purpose....
Good point: current needs are hauling a 17 ft. Aluminum boat with a 60 hp, general home improvement needs like bark dust and gravel. Wife and have been discussing a travel trailer in our looming retirement plans. Really any half ton would do even with a v6 but wife prefers bigger, ahem, packages.

If you're thinking travel trailer I suggest at least a V8. Sure there are people who pull travel trailers with V6's but if you want to be-able to go the speed limit, have enough power to get out of trouble when trouble arises, climb steep grades, and not worry about how hard you are pushing your truck, a V8 will be much better than a V6.
My vote would be a V8 Toyota Tundra. But I may be a little biased.
I put 135k on my 2001 before buying a 2008. I will never go with another truck other than a Tundra unless I upgrade to a large 5th wheel and need a diesel for optimum towing capacity. I do not see that happening anytime soon.

Newer diesels can be tuned to get amazing mpg, way greater than any gas engine of equal displacement or cylinders.

Then the question comes down to if you want a Duramax, Cummins or International engine.

(Edit: I'm thinking older pickups, not requiring DEF and the simpler setups. No reason to spend $30K on a vehicle)

Last Edited:
Well...

First off dont buy a diesel truck unless you need a diesel truck. The lifetime costs of running a diesel will far exceed the value of any fuel savings. Diesels get great milage and usually last a long time but modern diesels all have problems because of the degraded fuel and increased emission standards. You could often put a whole new motor in a gas rig for what a minor repair will cost on a diesel. It does not sound to me like you need or want a diesel truck.

Next... I have owned 9 Toyota pickups, bought three brand new over the years have have owned trucks ranging from 79 to the current 2010. They have all been outstanding trucks.... All the way till this one. I am not impressed with my 2010 4 door 4 x 4 V6 Tacoma. I could give you a long list of reasons but the long and short of it is the last truck (a 2003 Tacoma bought new) was a far better truck as far as I am concerned.

I cant tell you anything about a Tundra but I am in the market for a new truck and I am pretty much decided I am going to buy a new GMC or Chevy. The truck I drove over the weekend was a 2015 hold over Chevy 1500 Silverado that had a sticker of $47,000. Had remote start, air conditioned seats, 4 door 4 X 4, Loaded beautiful truck. With the 5.3L it says it gets 16 around town and 22 on the Highway. That is better than my Tacoma gets. Oh... And with all the markdown and discounts because its last years its $33,600, Less than I paid for the Tacoma in 2010 that does not have near as many amenities

I am sure the Ram is a fine truck, I think they are ugly. As far as American pickups I currently have a F250 Diesel, my last three trucks have all been Ford Diesels. I think the 1/2 ton Fords are ugly too. The Tundra is a really nice looking truck, But I think you can buy a lot nicer Chevy for the same money and after my 2010 I dont think much of the "new" Tacoma, I also had a 2008 FJ Cruiser by wife drove for two years, Not impressed with it either.

What it comes down to is you need to buy what you like. Personally I think there are pro's and con's to just about everything out there. None of them are perfect. In the end buy what you can live with for the next decade or so because that's all that matters.

Last Edited:
Toyota.
Just gas them up, and do the services, and that's it. Simple. American pickups have little things go bad usually.
Fit and Finish on a toyota smokes everyone else.
I've had 10 toyotas at least.
The last 3 tundras have been rock solid.
All new.
I was thinking deisel some time back, and it's a crap shoot of breakdowns and expenses.

Since hell would freeze over before I got screwed by a car dealer by buying a new truck, you can just go right over my post. I have been more than open about my disdain for buying anything automotive, RV or engine powered brand new. Not knocking anybody's choice to buy new, it is just not something I have done. The wife nad I bought one brand new vehicle in the last 30 years and drove the wheels off of it.

I do not do payments and I sure as hell do have the scratch to pay the obscene amount of cash money they think these trucks are worth.

Specing out a truck for what you want to do with it determines what you buy. Diesels have their place, and I have owned a lot and currently own one. I have a used 24 foot travel trailer that we will take on trips of under 400 miles on a regular basis. I tow a car trailer at times. At 58, semi retired and not wanting any debt I bought a 97 F 250 4x4 club cab, 7.3 liter powerstroke, 170K. It will last me forever. $9,250.

Since hell would freeze over before I got screwed by a car dealer by buying a new truck, you can just go right over my post. I have been more than open about my disdain for buying anything automotive, RV or engine powered brand new. Not knocking anybody's choice to buy new, it is just not something I have done. The wife nad I bought one brand new vehicle in the last 30 years and drove the wheels off of it.

I do not do payments and I sure as hell do have the scratch to pay the obscene amount of cash money they think these trucks are worth.

Specing out a truck for what you want to do with it determines what you buy. Diesels have their place, and I have owned a lot and currently own one. I have a used 24 foot travel trailer that we will take on trips of under 400 miles on a regular basis. I tow a car trailer at times. At 58, semi retired and not wanting any debt I bought a 97 F 250 4x4 club cab, 7.3 liter powerstroke, 170K. It will last me forever. $9,250.

If you are buying a 20 year old truck with 170K miles you are talking about a different transaction than if you are buying a two to three year old truck with less than 40K. Buying a late model used truck it's hard to buy anything for any substantial savings The new truck I am looking at is $33K, You would spend $28K+ on a similar one three years old with 50K miles You buy a used one you don't know what you get, the warranty is used up. You might be buying a basket case.

The other thing is a truck to me is just a tool. A tool I use everyday. If I buy a new one I will hand over piles of money for it not borrow for 8 years. I still have the last two new vehicles I bought and I am keeping them both if I buy another one. My F250 I have had for 12 years, I plan on having it 20 unless it dies on me. If I buy a new one I figure I'll have it 20 years as well. When you spend $33K on a new truck and use it for 20 years that's an average of $1600 a year in upfront costs or around $130 a month.

Its all in what you need and how you look at it. I would never spend $10K on a 20 year old truck with 170K. To me its silly to throw ten grand at a mostly used up truck that I don't know anything about when for $30K I can buy a new one.. That is as long as I think the new one is any good. In the case of new diesels I don't think any of them are solid enough to hand over $50K for one. I would rather keep fixing my old one.

For what you're looking to do *now* - the Toyota gas powered makes more sense.

You're talking travel trailer though - and unless you're talking one of the smaller trailers that is nice and light and pretty strippo - you'll not find the lighter duty truck to be the best for the task. The motor itself may be quite capable, but a truck isn't just it's motor. The transmissions and brakes on half ton trucks just are not up to the task of stopping heavy loads. Yes, you can tweak things, put on overloads, change rear ends, etc but you still have a half ton truck. Give some serious thought about the travel trailer you're thinking - look up the weights dry & loaded.

I've spent the last 12 years dragging stuff around for a living and have many times wished I had a beefier truck, and can't really think of when I said "I wish I had a smaller, lighter truck" when actually pulling something.

And since you're a boat owner - it's likely you may wind up with "2 foot itis" at some point - that 16 footer may wind up as an 18 or 20 footer a few years down the road.

I would personally be more comfortable in a 3/4 ton heavy duty for such tasks. I'd be seriously torn too between something like the Ram with the 6.7 Cummins diesel and the bigger V8 gas options out there.

We've got a 5500 Ram in our fleet at work - 350hp from the factory with the automatic transmission - in a 4WD that is 14,000 lbs unloaded. We're averaging 10-11mpg on that truck. Between the engine brake and "tow mode" it really saves on brakes. It's also got the balls to accelerate up a hill, under a load. The current versions have more HP available from the factory, as if 350 wasn't enough. We've had the truck now for a couple years, and maintenance costs have been low - it's had two sets of tires, - it did get a new radiator hose assembly after a year because of a defective part - needs a set of brakes, and otherwise has been oil changes & fuel filter swaps. 60,000+ miles on that truck so far.

The DEF BS sucks - in case you didn't know exhaust fluid is a real thing now. Leave it to the government to make an old gag a reality. Truck burns through 7 gallons of exhaust fluid in about 700-1000 miles for us, but we pretty much leave the engine brake on, and lots of stop & go trips. The DEF stuff adds to the costs to run the truck, and will probably be a royal pain in the arse down the road.

On the other hand, my father has a 2013 Silverado with the 6 liter gas and he's happy with everything except fuel economy. He uses his truck to haul a large cargo trailer with, along with the typical around the house truck chores. He tells me he gets about 12mpg in town and about 16 in the city. You should expect better than that out of a diesel in the 3500 class of truck. His maintenance has been similar to what I described for the work rig above - but both trucks are still only a few years old and neither has crossed 100,000 miles yet. My dad does tell me he wishes sometimes he'd opted for the Duramax diesel in his truck.

I own an older Silverado half ton with the 5.7 liter gas - it will tow a 16 foot boat no problem, but I wouldn't want to try pulling a loaded travel trailer with it. I would want the heavier suspension on the 3/4 or 1 ton trucks for sure. And the small block, while no slouch in a light truck or sedan - doesn't really have the balls to pull a heavy load up a hill with much authority. Not stock, anyway.

But for your *right now* uses - the 16 foot boat, the occasional load of lumber/landscapestuff/furniture - in new trucks I'd be going Toyota for longevity, reliability and resale. When you get serious about the travel trailer, you could always look at upgrading the truck too. Or picking up an older, but serviceable heavy duty rig for hauling the trailer around. Big block Chevy trucks get cheap when they get older, or when gas spikes in price. :D

Its all in what you need and how you look at it. I would never spend $10K on a 20 year old truck with 170K. To me its silly to throw ten grand at a mostly used up truck that I don't know anything about when for $30K I can buy a new one.. That is as long as I think the new one is any good. In the case of new diesels I don't think any of them are solid enough to hand over $50K for one. I would rather keep fixing my old one.

I bought this pickup from the original owner who had service records back to day one. I have known the previous owner for 7 years. Rebuilt E4OD. Took it to my diesel mechanic who said it was the most solid old truck he ever saw. My last F 350 with the 7.3 powerstroke went over 300,000 with minimal repair cost and solid upkeep. It is still running around the area working for a guy. This truck will serve my current needs quite well. The difference between that 10K and the 30K truck is me having a vehicle to get my chores done with and tow my travel trailer.

If I was still in the business where I needed pickups, I would probably would buy a newer used one.

Chevy - rides like a cadalac
Ford - rides like a beefy truck
Dodge - worst trucks I've ever had the displeasure of driving (only saving grace is they feel huge inside and I'm a big dude)
Nissan - garbage
Toyota - always good
Carrots - good any way you cook them or don't;)

Chevy - rides like a cadalac
Ford - rides like a beefy truck
Dodge - worst trucks I've ever had the displeasure of driving (only saving grace is they feel huge inside and I'm a big dude)
Nissan - garbage
Toyota - always good
Carrots - good any way you cook them or don't;)

Well, I currently own a Nissan car and for the two years I've had it its been an outstanding little car, far better than my Toyota truck..
And I don't like cooked carrots.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top