JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which brand of Truck?

• Ford

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Chevy

Votes: 11 11.0%
  • Ram

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Toyota

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • Nissan

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Carrots

Votes: 8 8.0%

• Total voters
Love Nissans. Started with sr, vg, vq but the differences between the nissans of the past and the gtr is driver involvement. To me its a lackluster car where you press on the pedal and steer where is the fun in that...sure its fast but to me its gets old quick. I guess im an analog guy in a digital world.
Nissan trucks are reliable however i wish they could.lessen the torque down low. Whenever it in the wet and start to go it spins easily.
The hellcat would get destroyed by the gtr. Porsche turbo and italian exotics can match its performance.

Love Nissans. Started with sr, vg, vq but the differences between the nissans of the past and the gtr is driver involvement. To me its a lackluster car where you press on the pedal and steer where is the fun in that...sure its fast but to me its gets old quick. I guess im an analog guy in a digital world.
Nissan trucks are reliable however i wish they could.lessen the torque down low. Whenever it in the wet and start to go it spins easily.
The hellcat would get destroyed by the gtr. Porsche turbo and italian exotics can match its performance.
Destroyed? No.
112k for a Datsun? Good lord.

Maybe. why did they make them so ugly?:D

If you dont like them I dont know how you could like the Tundra, They could be twinsies.

I like how they look, I would even consider buying one of the small diesels once its been proven, I just dont want to be the guy stuck with a first gen unproven rig.

2016-chevrolet-colorado-diesel-first-drive-review-car-and-driver-photo-662596-s-original.jpg

Colorados are great little trucks. The gas motor versions seem to be doing very well on longevity - I've only had one on the hook and that was because it got wrecked. Every Colorado owner I've chatted up raves about the things. I was skeptical of a 5 cylinder engine, but it seems to work well. I would not mind at all if Santa left a 4 door Colorado in my driveway. It's tow rating is plenty high for my boat.

And mcFoto - the reason I'd caution against a 1/2 ton for travel trailers & heavy boats - it's not just the motor. The Hemi has plenty of power (except that "Hemi" V6 they put in the Caravan minivan - HA!) but it's moreso the transmission, brakes, and tires that come beefier on the heavier duty trucks. Longer lifespan by not pushing them to the max ratings. The Brakes aspect is especially important - if you're pulling a trailer you want to be sure the truck can stop it without relying on trailer brakes. If you get a 20 foot travel trailer, it probably weighs as much as an average minivan or SUV fully loaded, if not a bit more. That's 3500 lbs or so. Probably 1,000-1500 more than your current boat & trailer combo. Having the trailer push you when you're steering and stopping is a scary thing.

The transmission wear issue would be a big concern of mine too - transmission rebuilds are typically $2500+ jobs - and light truck transmissions simply aren't going to last as long pulling heavy loads for long, despite what the commercials would have us think.

Since the truck comes before the camper - when you're camper shopping and find one you like - take it for at test tow and make sure you get to pull it up some fairly good hills to get a determination of how it's real world towing is going to be like. Just dragging it around a parking lot, or on city streets isn't enough. If the RV dealer isn't willing to let you test tow it - find another RV dealer.

And not to throw another monkey wrench into your plans - but when the RV thing comes around - if you get a motor home, you can take your boat with you where ever you go :D No settling for a canoe or kayaks or small porta-boat. :D It also takes the worry off what truck to buy - because you could easily go with the V6 Tacoma and pull a 16 foot aluminum boat around, let alone a Tundra or the half ton Ram. Then you just have to decide if you want the little class C motor home or a massive class A 40' pusher with full basement, wet bar, and helipad.

The part about buying a diesel only if "need" one if right on.
Do you haul 6 animals around?
Forms for a new neighborhood?
6 toys? You get the point
I won't buy Dodge cause I seem to wreck them and I think chevy is the most comfy truck ride there is.
Only other thing is if you fit in a Toyota or not.
And if you keep vehicles forever. If not a chev or ford is bigger and usually costs less
But Toyotas have better resale
So pick what fits your a $$ best and your pocket book

I've got a good friend who owns a business and has bought Fords for his work trucks for as long as I have known him (20 + years).

I ran Fords in my business when I was a specialty contractor and drove them for employers for years. When I really sat down and looked at how we were using the pickups and what we did with them, I realized that Big 3 pickups were really not what we should be using. We went to Freightliner FL 60 series with Cummins and Allison automatics or 6 speeds to replace the F 350's. We upgraded the seats, put custom Pro Tech beds on them and just drove them. Much better fit for the business. I put the crews in those work trucks and stayed with my 03 F 350 with the
$ 6,000 worth of corrections on the piece of crap 6 liter. After the corrections it was a great truck, my son still has it at 200K .

Unfortunately my son just bought one of those 2016 EcoBoost F 150's. He went to the dealer to look at a $ 14,000 pickup but needed more cash than he had to buy it and let the sales person hook him into 72 months of payments on that beer can pickup. Wish he would have talked to me before getting clipped on the new truck, we would have loaned them the money to buy the used one.

If you dont like them I dont know how you could like the Tundra, They could be twinsies.

I like how they look, I would even consider buying one of the small diesels once its been proven, I just dont want to be the guy stuck with a first gen unproven rig.

View attachment 288923

Not liking the looks is just a matter of personal taste. As for Tundras:rolleyes:, I only buy Merican branded trucks.

I was Chevy/Ford pickup owner for 35 years. In 2005 was literally on the way to the Chevy dealer to buy a new pick up, and spotted a deal on a Ram 2500 4x4. Took it for a test drive. Impressed, always thought "Hemi" was just a sales pitch. Far more power AND economy than any previous pick up I ever owned.

It gave me 90,000 miles of complaint free service. Best pick up I ever owned.

If I needed a bigger tow rig now I'd buy another Ram for sure.
I liked the styling, and the seats/cabin controls were far more handy for my use.

good luck

Hard to go wrong with a full size truck! I'm a big dude, and the little trucks just are not comfortable for me and are hard to get in and out of. the TOY trucks also have the seats almost on the floor and that makes my legs cramp up. I have never owned a truck newer then 1979 and plan to keep it that way. My 1946 WC30 PowerWagon with 3.9 Cummins and 6 speed has lasted this long and will probably still be around 70 more years! For a 8500 lb truck ( empty) she gets 17 miles per gallon and can out pull any stock diesel pickup you wanna bring! You could bounce a toyota tundra off a fender of that old Dodge and hardly even scratch the paint, the toyota would be squashed like a bug! I hate the new trucks, no one has made a really good one since 1979! The old Ford F-250 Ranger highboy or camper special or the Dodge PowerWagon Adventurer S.E. and the GMC / Chevy pickups of that era were hands down the best pickups ever built! Not before or since has any manufacturer produced a better truck for your hard earned dollars. Value and performance for the dollar, and if you think i'm joking, how many of these trucks do you still see out there on the road? Far more then you would have thought I bet! Get a new truck if you want, but the money you spend on one could sure buy a lot of other nice toys to play with. And the cost of repairs on the new truck, Find out how much a replacement transmition is on one of these! Just wait until the warranty expires and you reach the planned obsolescence of one of these new trucks! You will have a hart attack when you get the bill for these repairs. I could replace 3 350 chevy engines and trannys for what that would cost in parts and labor! A replacement 7.3 T.D.I. Ford was 17k!!!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top