JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which brand of Truck?

• Ford

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Chevy

Votes: 11 11.0%
  • Ram

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Toyota

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • Nissan

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Carrots

Votes: 8 8.0%

• Total voters
Okay, since there was a thread posted earlier about a new "pick up" that I and several others thought was about trucks and I'm in the market for a new truck, thought I'd actually start a thread. So, have at it. Right now, it's between Ram and Tundra. Love the ride and feel of the Ram but have owned Toyotas and know they are bullet proof. Before anyone starts on buying American, Tundras are made in Texas. Poll included for easy response.

I have had many trucks but the one I always have ready for when the SHTF is a 1974 full size Chevy 4x4. It has never left me stranded even when abused. With the 205 rock crusher transfer case, the only thing besides the power brake booster not replaced it has never lost a beat getting me everywhere I have wanted to go. Living in Arizona it's seen desert, snow, and everything in between. The only thing I have a problem with is one of the 33 inch tires blowing to pieces doing 75.

303.jpg securedownload.jpg

I'd have to go with Ford as it is the truck brand I have owned since 1989. I currently own a 2006 F350 c/cab 6.0l with all the head studs and coolers done on it. And since I work for a Ford dealer-getting parts is less expensive than brand X..

I have had many trucks but the one I always have ready for when the SHTF is a 1974 full size Chevy 4x4. It has never left me stranded even when abused. With the 205 rock crusher transfer case, the only thing besides the power brake booster not replaced it has never lost a beat getting me everywhere I have wanted to go. Living in Arizona it's seen desert, snow, and everything in between. The only thing I have a problem with is one of the 33 inch tires blowing to pieces doing 75.

View attachment 289248 View attachment 289249
A case of fix a flat should get it back on the road in a jiffy!!! :rolleyes:

I bought a truck on accident today. I'll build a little flat bed for it and it should do nicely to gather groceries

View attachment 289259

Needs bigger rims. Spinners maybe. Playas ride spinners. And the motor is probably a dog. Yank that dt466 out and drop in the 5.9 cummins and mod the crap ut of it. It'll be like a dodge on steroids.

In all seriousness tho hopefully thats a joke post. I drive a 4300 dt466 for work - and with 468+ thousand miles on it we are having lots of weird issues this last year. Random engine lights false trouble codes. The ABS system was designed by a sadist. We have had loads issues with the AC system over the life of the truck.the proprietary crap from International is maddening. From certain bolts to the dash lights to the transmission fluid - lots of proprietary bs that is almost impossible to find anywhere but the dealer. And they rape your wallet just because they can. :(

If we were getting a new truck or newer used truck I would almost rather have a Freightliner M2 with the 6.7 cummins (not the mercedes diesel) than another International. Or maybe one of the lighter Peterbuilts. But we are not replacing this thing yet so thats just mental masturbation for now.

Needs bigger rims. Spinners maybe. Playas ride spinners. And the motor is probably a dog. Yank that dt466 out and drop in the 5.9 cummins and mod the crap ut of it. It'll be like a dodge on steroids.

In all seriousness tho hopefully thats a joke post. I drive a 4300 dt466 for work - and with 468+ thousand miles on it we are having lots of weird issues this last year. Random engine lights false trouble codes. The ABS system was designed by a sadist. We have had loads issues with the AC system over the life of the truck.the proprietary crap from International is maddening. From certain bolts to the dash lights to the transmission fluid - lots of proprietary bs that is almost impossible to find anywhere but the dealer. And they rape your wallet just because they can. :(

If we were getting a new truck or newer used truck I would almost rather have a Freightliner M2 with the 6.7 cummins (not the mercedes diesel) than another International. Or maybe one of the lighter Peterbuilts. But we are not replacing this thing yet so thats just mental masturbation for now.

Its not a joke, I bought the truck. Its a 2007 4300 SBA with the DT466 134K miles I paid $7000 for the truck, I already found a flat bed to put on it that I will be into for a grand. I have a bunch of equipment to move to Idaho and once I am done I'll sell the truck and dont think I'll have an issue getting my money out.

I really didn't have any intention of buying it or any truck like it but for $7000 it just seemed like a great deal. As long as I can put 10,000 miles or so on it and roll it to someone else I'll be happy.

At this point I have 2 trucks, a 83 Chevy and a 05 Nissan Frontier. Of course being a hunter ,fisherman and all around sportsman I've always had a truck. GMC's & Chevy's have always done me well and have held up better than anything I've ever owned ,,bar none! And I've had all brands in my 50 + years of driving.
Here in VT Toyota's, Nissan's ,Dodges , Fords just don't hold up well with all the salt they use on the roads. Total rust buckets!!! I do like the 3/4 ton Frontier I have now in many respects, but,, it's a never ending battle to keep it nice underneath. I'm always under it sandblasting and repainting stuff !!Any "Jap" rig is that way around here.
My Chevy is a hot rod though so that's a bit different to what you'd normally use a truck for,,she's my "woos mobile" that has never ever seen snow and barley even any rain,of course it's held up well. I bought it new and it now has only 80738 miles on it with all the original paint.

I've been a body man and mechanic all my life and from what I've seen GM's are by far the best overall in adverse conditions.
As you can see my,,Lowdown's not to shabby for her age and I almost always come home with a first place trophy! Same as with the Buick (Lucille) in my avatar, my latest resto project.

You can't go wrong with any GM product IMHO.

DSCN1378.JPG

Forgive me for bumping my own necro-thread but wanted to let you know I bought a Tundra. Interesting that Ford seemed to be the consensus of those who posted comments yet the poll allowed Toyota advocates to opine anonymously. ;)

Thanks for playing.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top