JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Any recommendations for a small to midsize pickup? I'm not stuck on brand, but I want something reliable and economical. If that's a Tacoma, I'm cool with that. Any ideas of what would be good 2-3 years old these days?

Also, any recommendations for lockable bed covers?

I've loved my 2011 silverado 1500. It's only got the 4.8l v8, but I have 94k on it with zero problems. Leved it and hand-built a headache rack among other small mods. Great truck, and can be had for reasonable parts. Good news is there are millions of them and parts are easy to be had should it ever act up....

I like the concept of the F150 with the smaller v6 ecoboost. It still gives you 300+hp with fuel economy in the low 20s. Thats more bed space, interior room, and utility than a tacoma with better fuel economy. The Tacoma is not what it used to be. Lack of competition in its class hasn't done it any favors.

I have a 1999 Ranger with almost 300k on it. Routine maintenance plus some gaskets replaced. Brake jobs. Tune-ups. It is 4x4. Noisy. Seats kinda ragged but covered with good ballistic nylon covers. Am thinking about having a rebuilt transmission put in. Still runs good. Goes off road ok and it runs from Butte to Bozeman a couple times/month. But if I had a choice, I like Tacomas. Oldest son has a 2017. It is really nice and is great in back roads and logging roads.

My 2 cents.

I don't think there are any small pickups left unless maybe the new Jeep pickups? I haven't seen one yet in person so don't know how big or small they are.

Personally in the mid size truck category, I would go with a Tacoma. And if I was going to go with a Ford product I would absolutely do the F150 before the Ranger. And I especially would not go with the first two years of the new model Ranger...or really any first two years of a new model if you can avoid it.

If price isn't a concern then Tacoma is your answer. They'll run forever and retain their value.

If you just want a decent pickup that gets from point A to B for a good price then an F150 will do the trick.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews