JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A group of like-minded individuals in my neighborhood have all decided to get together and plan some of their gun purchases. Specifically hunting rifles. We decided that since we are not really "married" to any caliber bullet yet, it would be best to get guns that share the same caliber so that we could all share ammo if need be.

We had some fun discussions, but it seems to come down to the 308 and the 30-06. We really could use some opinions on the matter to help break a friendly tie. So if you are going to decide on a single round that will shape the rifle purchases of a community of people... which one would you choose and why?

maybe we can have as much fun discussing it here as the bunch of us did together!

.308Win handsdown.

Or 7.62x51 if you buy surplus.

Buy much - sounds to me that the way things are going pear-shaped that you are going to need all you can find.

Me, I'm NEVER out of .308Win.

tac

Pretty easy choice as the .308/7.62x51's recoil is received well by most, ammo is easily found, it is a proven man/game stopper and there are plethora of rifles chambered for it. I personally think a 308 in one of the scout style rifles is on the best all around weapons one could choose.

A group of like-minded individuals in my neighborhood have all decided to get together and plan some of their gun purchases. Specifically hunting rifles. We decided that since we are not really "married" to any caliber bullet yet, it would be best to get guns that share the same caliber so that we could all share ammo if need be.

We had some fun discussions, but it seems to come down to the 308 and the 30-06. We really could use some opinions on the matter to help break a friendly tie. So if you are going to decide on a single round that will shape the rifle purchases of a community of people... which one would you choose and why?

maybe we can have as much fun discussing it here as the bunch of us did together!

Is it fair to presume you will be purchasing commercial ammunition? If that is the case then the difference is inconsequential.
If however you are planning on reloading your ammo the tie shall never be broken.

My rationale is based on each gun likes it's own flavor of ammo and reloading can really dial you in with respect to individual firearms. Commercial ammo is a compromise and most production rifles have no problems with it. Whatever you choose it would seem more important to find a common flavor all your rifles "liked".

~Whitney

7.62x39. women and children can wield them. If a bunch of child soldiers in Africa can operate an ak, it's a good choice for any community.

I'd also vote 308 for both hunting as well as defense if things go wahooni. Lots of very good choices in both bolt action and semi auto.

Good point. And of course reason to consider the 5.56, of course.
It depends on what you want the rifle to do..
I'm all about the 308 for hunting and combat, but the 7.62x39 and 5.56x45 are both easier to for a wider variety of folks to handle and to a degree can handle wildlife just fine.

There's a lot to be said for this group going with a common caliber. Even though hunting is listed as the primary reason, I get the feeling that's only part of it.
You can get very different types of rifles in 308. Semi-auto, traditional or MSR, bolts, single shots, pumps and levers. Ammunition is widely available in great varieties at reasonable prices. I like the 30-06 better, but that doesn't make it a better choice for a group.

Go 308 and you'll not regret it.

There's a lot to be said for this group going with a common caliber. Even though hunting is listed as the primary reason, I get the feeling that's only part of it.
You can get very different types of rifles in 308. Semi-auto, traditional or MSR, bolts, single shots, pumps and levers. Ammunition is widely available in great varieties at reasonable prices. I like the 30-06 better, but that doesn't make it a better choice for a group.

Go 308 and you'll not regret it.
Well 24 minutes ago I would have wrote the same thing,but you save me the typing
Sooo many choices of rifles both military and sporting
Heck,next y'all need a 1050 Dillon set up for 308 and do big buys on components ;)
762x39 doesn't come close to covering what can be found in 308. Nor does it compair balisticly.

Forget the .223/5.56 for hunting in Washington for anything other than Varmints. With one one exception..:rolleyes:
Washington classes Cougar as "Big Game" but you can still hunt them with a .223/5.56..:eek:
Go figure o_O

IF mutual defense is on the table and you choose the 308/7.62x51 consider standardizing on a rifle as well so you can share magazines and spare parts. Also so that they all have the same battery of operation. Consider the following:
  • The M1A1 looks most like a regular hunting rifle and is battle proven and accurate. Cost is ~ $1500 and up
  • The FN/FAL is probably the most battle proven of all 7.62x51 rifles and has very good ergonomics. Cost is also in the $1,500 and up range.
  • The HK91 is also battle proven and you can get a very reasonably priced US made clone in the PTR-91 for about $1,000.
  • The AR308/AR10 is much lighter and more configurable than the other rifles listed, but does not have the battle proven pedigree. They have the same ergonomics as the AR-15/M4 and have the best potential for accuracy. These start at around $1,000.
The above can be hunting legal in most states by using a device that permanently restricts the magazine to 5 rounds.

TONS of great bolt action rifles for the 308 and you can almost pick blind and get a great one.

Last Edited:
.270 Winchester.
Reason: 45 years of satisfied coyote, deer, black bear, and Elk hunting service. I was hoping to ad goat and moose, but no longer likely considering my age and finances.

.270 Winchester.
Reason: 45 years of satisfied coyote, deer, black bear, and Elk hunting service. I was hoping to ad goat and moose, but no longer likely considering my age and finances.

During the last scare it seems like the only ammo I could find was .270 Winchester, 7mm Remington Magnum, and .40 S&W. Good for anything in North America that doesn't hunt you while you are hunting it.

308 is a short action compared to 30-06. That makes rifles lighter. That may be important for older fellas in the group or at least those that plan to get older. 308 ammo is more readily available and less expensive. 308 case uses slightly less powder. 308 rifles can be found in standard bolt-action hunting configurations but modern sporting rifles as well.

30.06 has slightly better ballistics, and is more common in pure hunting rifles than 308.

I chose 308 for myself since at the time I could only buy one hunting rifle and it could double as a sniper rifle for SHTF. Now I also own a .223 varmint rigged AR.

Last Edited:

Between the two, and the animals up here. I'd go with 30-06. It takes the 308 when handling over 150 grain bullets. At 150 grains, they are too close. If you and your group are thinking elk, go with 06.

Just like 308, ammo is a plenty.

Not really military anymore, but there is still some surplus here and there.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top