JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Id say a 7mm Mag, is a great over all caliber, and the recoil is very manageable.
I brought this up because its a caliber many overlook but is a great over all round.
The 7mm Mag ammo can be found pretty much anywhere as well. And a basic Rem 700
in that caliber can be had around $400.00 or so.

I had one back in the late 70s, when there wasn't much selection in ammo. I think Remington loaded it with bullets from the 7x57 because they just blew up on deer. I don't care for belted magnums when reloading either. I sold mine and I've been using a .308 ever since.

I had one back in the late 70s, when there wasn't much selection in ammo. I think Remington loaded it with bullets from the 7x57 because they just blew up on dear. I don't care for belted magnums when reloading either. I sold mine and I've been using a .308 ever since.
Never had the experience with the 7mm mag. But I would chose a .308 over some myself.
The 7.62x54 all so comes to mind cost wise.

Never had the experience with the 7mm mag. But I would chose a .308 over some myself.
The 7.62x54 all so comes to mind cost wise.

There are a lot of good 7mm chamberings out there, 7x57, 7-08, etc. - I tend towards those that are not magnums in rifles, I just do not see the need for the power and all the blast and recoil that comes with it, not where I live. And not when a .308 works just fine for me.

Perfect is the enemy of good.

There are a lot of criteria for both hunting and defense firearms beyond the performance of the chambering. My highest priority is self-defense. Just about any intermediate power cartridge (e.g., .30-30) and above is adequate for hunting west of the Cascades. Long distance shots not common here, and most of those that are encountered can usually be done with .308 or .30-06, skill/experience in distance shooting being more important (IMO) than the chambering.

More importantly, as I said, without ammo, a firearm is just an expensive club. I would rather have my father's hunting rifle (.30-06 '03 Springfield) with ammo than the finest rifle of any sort in the best chambering without ammo. Whether for hunting or defense.

Some people play a round of golf with one club or fish with one fishin' pole. I like a full bag and have 10 rods on my deck and 8 more in the locker. To each their own. Once someone gets to a certain skill level that allows them to fully realize the benefits of better equipment, why not?

good questions;

on the other hand, how many of those who are likely to survive in our hypothetical scenario, will be saved by a magic fractions of an inch and extra 50 yards of satisfactory terminal ballistics?

I don't think we have an argument here, rather a difference of focus on a particular set of problems.

If those high-end performance ballistics are the overwhelmingly required spec equipment for the few actually paying for Safari, how do all those tribal support elements eat in the off season?

Again, just because you can probably means you can do better with more appropriate equipment. Thats why natives have Evinrude E-Tecs and not oars.

Some people play a round of golf with one club or fish with one fishin' pole. I like a full bag and have 10 rods on my deck and 8 more in the locker. To each their own. Once someone gets to a certain skill level that allows them to fully realize the benefits of better equipment, why not?

By all means. I have a collection of guns and calibers, but the thread is about picking one "caliber" for standardization. Also, for most of us, our budget only allows so many different guns, so we have to prioritize.

I would like to get a set of DT MDRs (if they ever start shipping them and they are everything they are touted to be), one for myself and one each for my kids. They would come with caliber change kits (5.56 and 7.62x39 in addition to .308), so probably at least $3K+ each, for a total of $10K for the three of us.

I made a decision a year or so ago that I was not going to sell any guns I currently own unless I absolutely have to, but the MDRs will probably be the last defensive long guns I buy for a while. After that it will be more hunting guns (even though I don't hunt anymore), probably lever actions more than bolt actions, and revolvers.

But I will probably stick with the standard calibers I already have - probably no magnums again.

I would like to get a set of DT MDRs (if they ever start shipping them and they are everything they are touted to be), one for myself and one each for my kids. They would come with caliber change kits (5.56 and 7.62x39 in addition to .308), so probably at least $3K+ each, for a total of $10K for the three of us.
I was waiting for that to come out. Settled on getting a bullpup that's on the market already. Not that I'm impatient, but other than changing the calibers I didn't really see what it'll do that another bullpup on the market couldn't do to make it worth the wait for what has been vaporware so far.

When you choose a rifle for protection and hunting a consideration must include who will need to use it in either case and what they are capable of using. In case of a bad situation my wife might need to use my firearm in her current condition with her shoulder 12 guage shot guns and the 308-30-06 are out of the question. That is where the AR15 comes in.

I was waiting for that to come out. Settled on getting a bullpup that's on the market already. Not that I'm impatient, but other than changing the calibers I didn't really see what it'll do that another bullpup on the market couldn't do to make it worth the wait for what has been vaporware so far.

Not that many quality production 7.62x51 bullpups on the market (I would not want a Kel-Tec for a self-defense rifle) and as far as I know, none of them have the ability to swap calibers. Plus, I am hoping the accuracy is near the rest of their rifles, preferably MOA, if not sub-MOA with good ammo. I did not go in on the group buy (which is a good thing given all the delays) and I will wait a while until the first adopters figure out whether there are bugs in the rifle and what the pros and cons are.

When you choose a rifle for protection and hunting a consideration must include who will need to use it in either case and what they are capable of using. In case of a bad situation my wife might need to use my firearm in her current condition with her shoulder 12 guage shot guns and the 308-30-06 are out of the question. That is where the AR15 comes in.

This is why I got a FN PS90 - I have a family member that will need this, especially after a recent injury.

This is why I got a FN PS90 - I have a family member that will need this, especially after a recent injury.

This!

Plus a nice size to keep in a vehicle as a get home. Relatively easy to conceal & to carry a decent amount of ammunition.

Almost perfect for close quarters.

Pretty new to using the platform, but interestingly enough was hitting man sized plate repeatedly at 200yards first time I mounted a red dot to it.

50 & 100 yards no problem, consistently/repeatedly with decent groups.

One of my in-laws is dedicated to his lifestyle of 'married once/divorced LONG ago' and makes a career of fishing/hunting a very large part of the year, from Alaska to Mexico. He introduced me to his hunting buddies/guns/gear/etc through a shoe box full of photos of them/him/various trophies/trips/hunting camps and rigs to get wayWayWAY off the road. They've been following their group-hunt life style since high school days 40+ years back. There's about 8 or 10 of them.

At one point years ago they all decided to go for a common model big game rifle (forget which one) but they remain all on the same caliber wagon: 7mm Mag.

He was proud to insist not only he still had the original, but it was the only center fire rifle he ever bought.

A fun subject! Lots of answers. All valid as far as it goes. We went through this years ago, (like about starting in 1961) and right now we are going through it again. My extended nuclear family wants to change platforms for our kinda hazzy to-go-to rifle for the SHTF. Or the one rifle platform we really want to bury deep if the situation calls for it. Grab the popcorn! A long post.

What we chose is not what others may choose. It all started when the cheap available surplus USGI M1 Carbines became available after the Korean war. I got my first early spring tube Rock Ola from my dad. He got it through the NRA and the CMP. It cost, if memory serves, about 20 bucks. I was about 12. The year was about 1961. A California State Guard armorer tuned it up.

It got traded off with lots of other guns for a 1957 Chevy 283. Long ago, far away. Then in about 1970 we decided to combine all the family various USGI M1 carbines we owned, (about 6 families; about 20 guns) into a common reference, training, fun time, maintenance, knowledge, spare parts, mags, books, gages, tools, more knowledge, ammo, gun smithing, etc., etc.. data base.

My extended nuclear family and close long term friends still have the Carbines. The learning curve to understand the platform was a long term endeavor. Took years. Right now I have over 15 different gages, tools, gadgets and over 10 reference books for the gun. Lots and lots of spare parts. Also the legal tax stamp to possess a military M2 Carbine. A light automatic rifle. All legal.

We chose the USGI M1 Carbine, (and a M2) because we already had them or could afford to buy such and legally license. The guns were already there. Our cost is unknown. Too long ago. Some Carbines we have owned for over 55 years. The round count grows. They guns are still in excellent condition. Total cost today is still very low. That is one reason why we have them.

Another reason is that the USGI M1 Carbine does so many things well. Also understand that it also can not do some things well. Anybody from the age of 8 to 88 can handle, shoot and hit with the M1 Carbine. Powerful enough inside 100 yards. Accurate enough with good ammo. The Carbine works for us. We have enough practice ammo. Enough SP duty ammo. Enough of everything.

BUT ... now everybody wants to change to the AR15 platform. They want me to be the armorer. I am resisting this. Too little time for me in the day. PLUS ... the naggy fact that to keep the carbines, (never sell off something good!) and build up 25 AR15 rifles will be very expensive. Too expensive. I know the AR15 platform. Have built hundreds. All it takes is big bucks. That and time and effort.

Respectfully. All Oregon State, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply. This is a legal disclaimer stating that it is legal to own and bear a USGI M2 Carbine up here in SW OR USA. Your local, county and state laws may vary greatly.

If your thinking on that many AR's, would it be cost effective to look into making your own?

Like look into a "good" reuseable jig setup & 80% lowers?

Non family would have to make there own. But family I wouldn't think would have to, honestly do not know on that, so would need serious looking into!

If everyone made there own in your group, they would be all the more familiar with it though, so there would be that as a plus. Would remove any one individual from being called a "manufacturer".

Would save a bunch on transfer / background fees, and also possibly stay under the radar if you were purchasing a bunch within a short time frame.

As other folks mention about discount, maybe you could get a discount on parts/components as well?

This!

Plus a nice size to keep in a vehicle as a get home. Relatively easy to conceal & to carry a decent amount of ammunition.

Almost perfect for close quarters.

Pretty new to using the platform, but interestingly enough was hitting man sized plate repeatedly at 200yards first time I mounted a red dot to it.

50 & 100 yards no problem, consistently/repeatedly with decent groups.

Yeah, I found a nice LARGE laptop case (18"x18") with semi-rigid sides and some rigid cutout foam that I hacked on until the rifle, broken down into front and rear (which is quick and easy as I am sure you know) more or less fit into the foam such that it won't move around in the case. I am thinking of getting two more as get home rifles for us.

Once home then more powerful rifles can be brought into play, while the PS90s would be something we can take around while outside doing other work where a full sized rifle would get in the way. The PS90 is a somewhat PDW with lots of capacity, used to get to a safe place where you can hunker down and use a more effective weapon - kind of like halfway between a handgun and a rifle.

Yeah, I found a nice LARGE laptop case (18"x18") with semi-rigid sides and some rigid cutout foam that I hacked on until the rifle, broken down into front and rear (which is quick and easy as I am sure you know) more or less fit into the foam such that it won't move around in the case. I am thinking of getting two more as get home rifles for us.

Once home then more powerful rifles can be brought into play, while the PS90s would be something we can take around while outside doing other work where a full sized rifle would get in the way. The PS90 is a somewhat PDW with lots of capacity, used to get to a safe place where you can hunker down and use a more effective weapon - kind of like halfway between a handgun and a rifle.

Good idea, thanks! Might have an old laptop case in storage somewheres, if not could probably find one at goodwill.

Current GH idea is either in a tennis racquet case, fits pretty good with room for a few magazines not taken down, or slung under a jacket. Seasonal obviously, and we're headed to warmer weather finally, so that'd be out until the fall more likely.

Good idea, thanks! Might have an old laptop case in storage somewheres, if not could probably find one at goodwill.

Current GH idea is either in a tennis racquet case, fits pretty good with room for a few magazines not taken down, or slung under a jacket. Seasonal obviously, and we're headed to warmer weather finally, so that'd be out until the fall more likely.
This is what I bought: Amazon.com: CRANE UHS Universal Slim Case for Electronic Equipment and DJ Gear, Medium: Musical Instruments

Ah thought yew Kaintuc boys new everthing bout rafles!

Just kidding! Welcome to the site, I hope you enjoy it! :)

BTW, .308! So versatile and powerful! Annnnnd, .223, for the smaller, weaker or disabled folks! Good luck!

Not that many quality production 7.62x51 bullpups on the market (I would not want a Kel-Tec for a self-defense rifle) and as far as I know, none of them have the ability to swap calibers. Plus, I am hoping the accuracy is near the rest of their rifles, preferably MOA, if not sub-MOA with good ammo. I did not go in on the group buy (which is a good thing given all the delays) and I will wait a while until the first adopters figure out whether there are bugs in the rifle and what the pros and cons are.
I like the idea of a bullpup in 7.62 NATO, but like I said other than that I just didn't see anything that made it worth the wait for me. I didn't get in the group buy either, and I had a feeling it would have been a long long time before it gets made or not.

Annnnnd, .223, for the smaller, weaker or disabled folks! Good luck!
I like .308 and 5.56. Lots of fun guns with both rounds, though I can't pick a favorite between a Galil and an AUG. Would help the decision if I could afford the former. :D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top