JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am not a rifle guy. But, my vote would depend on the rifle. If its a classic(ish) wood stock mil-surp. deal - then 30-06. An all-weather plastic stock in 30-06 just ain't right. :p

I vote .308, it's everywhere and a NATO round so if blue hats come you have and endless supply of ammo. Less recoil for those recoil sensitive like myself.

Another vote for .308 Win/7.62x51. Broader selection of ammo, cheaper to purchase, and if you wanted to standardize ammo, Federal Gold Medal Match seems to perform amazingly well in almost all rifles. There are also a number of handloads that also seem to shoot well across the board in different rifles. It gives more than adequate ballistic performance, requires less powder for handloads, less recoil, and in my limited experience, tends to be more accurate.

I find the whole idea of limiting yourself to just one caliber, disturbing. :s0002:

If this whole shebang should somehow go off the rails.
And I happen to find a single round of ammo?

I promise you.
I will have a gun to shoot it. :s0108:

Last Edited:
I feel that .308 fits the needs of a wider range of PEOPLE given the 2 choices offered. As for performance on different sized game, the 2 are indistinguishable really at 300 yds or less. The 100 fps or so difference of bullet speed in most weights between the 2 is not enough to split hairs or really effect terminal ballistics in all but extreme ranges . But the differences in rifle platforms available, rifle weight, barrel length, recoil, etc are probably more important to a group that wants to limit to 1 caliber to allow the greatest variety and personal preference possible.

I hope that makes sense, and I hope you all don't take it as a knock against. 30-06. It's not meant to be.:)

If elk is going to be hunted extensively, I might go with .30-06 before .308. Otherwise .308 gets the nod - certainly if semi-autos are going to be in the picture.

I have several .308's and no .30-06 in the gun safe.

What? No body went to get the popcorn? ......

eating20popcorn.gif

One thing to also put forward for .308 vs .30-06 is during times of reloading...

30-06 uses quite a bit more powder than .308, if you are maximizing rounds made per pound it's almost 2:3 on the ratio of -06 and .308.

Even when bullets and primers are equal.

My vote: .308 either in AR (with standard SR/LR mag compatibility!) or HK/PTR/CETME platform. BUT I only vote those 2 platforms as those are the only 2 semi-auto in .308 I've used/fired, and they are roughly equally cost effective.

Next, maybe standardizing rifle/carbine calibers for the smaller & wiser folk in your group? Toss up betwixt 7.62x39 vs 5.56.

7.62x39 seems more challenging to reload (component cost), but new/surplus prices are pretty low. As are weapon prices.

5.56 pretty easy to reload (relatively speaking, as I don't reload yet, but strictly from a component, time and cost perspective). Ammo prices seem down again, but higher than 7.62x39. Weapon prices are really down.

Then maybe pistol caliber? 9mm would be my only vote. Probably too difficult to get standardized sidearms, as folks would carry what they can shoot best. Best to nudge folks into a single caliber though, IMO.

I'm going with .30-06.
No real reason other than to my mind , its what a modern hunting cartridge is all about.
'Course my main rifle is based on rifle from the 1840's ... So what do I know? :D

That said for hunting cartridges there is nothing wrong with .308 either.
Andy

Last Edited:
I also vote for the 30-06. I started out on one, so I'm biased. I was shooting mine when I was 12 years old, so most of the OP's friends should be able to handle it...;)

I have hunted elk with the .30-06 for nearly my entire adult life. This last season, even though I have larger "magnum" chambered rifles in the safe, I still went with the '06 and once again, it did the job.

That being said, in the scenario the OP has laid out, where a caliber is required for both hunting and common defense, the .308/7.62x51 is really the hands down choice.

E

If it was a group of guys just hunting then I'd say 30-06. But if you are wanting to hunt and have it as a common community caliber for shtf thing also I would also go for the 308 because of all the platforms it's available in like bolt action, semi auto, lever guns ect. So that's my vote.
Is there going to be a few guys willing to reload? That would make a stock pile for "emergency's" cheaper and easier.

A group of like-minded individuals in my neighborhood have all decided to get together and plan some of their gun purchases. Specifically hunting rifles. We decided that since we are not really "married" to any caliber bullet yet, it would be best to get guns that share the same caliber so that we could all share ammo if need be.

"like minded individuals" and "share ammo if need be" - to me, are euphemisms for preppers and SHTF. So, without reading the rest of the thread, yet, I am going to come at this from that direction. The thing about 'hunting rifles' does not quite jive with that assumption though.

The three military rifle chamberings that are the most popular and the most likely to be available in the USA (and possibly much of the world) in a scenario where ammo is needed but resupply via commercial channels is iffy, are (of course), 5.56x45, 7.62x39 and 7.62x51. I personally advocate for having at least one rifle in the group for each of those chamberings. If ammo becomes hard to get, then some diversity is a good thing.

Choosing one of those three as the mandate for each household in the group to have at least one firearm chambered for that cartridge is a good idea. Of those three, if I were still hunting and/or hunting rifles were the predominant long arm, it would then be 7.62x51 as that is the most versatile. The 7.62x51 is almost as powerful as .30-06 and almost as versatile, and in an ammo shortage there will be a LOT more of it. The .30-06 really only has an advantage with the heavier projectiles - 190 grain and up - and unless you are up near (or above) the Canadian border, I don't think those heavier cartridges are really needed.

For self-defense, and not far behind (a close second actually) would be 7.62x39 because of its popularity. Yes, this cartridge, with the proper projectiles, makes a decent medium range hunting cartridge. It is about the same power as a .30-30 and has a bit longer range (except in the heavier projectiles) - my grandfather hunted with a .30-30 for decades and took large black bear and elk with it. It is also a cartridge that can be used by those in a family that are not so adept with firearms and more powerful cartridges.

Last, 5.56x45 may (or may not) be more plentiful than the other two, but is limited in its effectiveness, especially for larger animals.

So why not compromise and just say that each household needs to have a rifle in 7.62x51 and a certain amount of ammo. Since when does a gun owner not want to have yet another gun? :D

FWIW - I have firearms in all of those chamberings, and .30-30 and .45-70, and 9mm and .357 and .44 and .45 and so on and so on - but I tend to stick with the popular chamberings.

Hunting ammo availability for 30-06 is far greater than the 308. I guarantee you'll find 5x more 30-06 loads than 308. The 30-06 loaded to modern pressure outclasses the 308 by a fair margin. I dont know about factory stuff, but my 30-06 handloads outsep my 308 loads by 200 fps at each bullet weight.

As another post mentioned, during major ammo shortages, current military calibers are the first to go. During wartime, this effects all .224 and all .308 cartridges. 270 and 40 S&W are always available.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top