JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Can permanent resident aliens* own class III firearms?
Like machine guns and what not?
I couldn't find it on the ATF's website.
If not or so, could you please provide the ORS and Federal statutes.

*Aliens, as in not a citizen of the United States.

Last Edited:
If you want title 2 or NFA firearms you have to purchase them in the state you are a resident of. In Oregon we can own any/all of them: machine guns, SBRs, SBSs, suppressors, destructive devices, and AOWs. Be aware that most form 4s (for transfering title 2 firearms) are taking 3 1/2 months to complete right now and form 1s ( for making title 2 firearms) are not much better at around 3 months.

I think he's talking about being a Permanent Resident Alien, as in a legal taxpaying, legal social security number holding, non-voting, non-citizen who has been granted "permanent resident" status. (like my Australian wife and three kids are... gotta cough up the money for the citizenship process and tests!)

Sorry about the misread, my bad. After reading both a form 1 and a form 4, they only ask if you have renounced your US citizenship or are an illegal alien. I also found <broken link removed> on silencer talk and apparently you do not have to be a citizen to own NFA items, just a resident alien. You can always call and ask the NFA Branch at (304) 616-4500 to verify. Below are the US codes pertaining to firearm ownership by an alien, I'm not sure if they apply to permanent residents. YMMV
18 USC 922 (g)(5)
18 USC 922 (y)(2)
Hope this helps!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR