JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone in my same situation gone through this yet? How was the process?

Bit of background:
I'm a Filipino/Canadian dual citizen. Immigrated to OR when I was 9 and have lived and had permanent residency here since. Currently 26 and until a year ago, I was toying with the idea of moving up to Canada (spoiler: decided I'm sticking around). Due to the indecision, I opted to just renew my permanent residency (to the tune of ~$500) as it neared expiration rather than naturalize ($725 and a bit more of a process).

I only got into firearms about 6 months before that, but just rifle target practice at the time. Didn't get into pistols until after I renewed residency and that new interest obviously led to considering applying for my CHL. Admittedly, I'm a bit more left-leaning in my beliefs but definitely a 2nd amendment supporter. That led me to realize that here in OR, a permanent resident has to file to file a declaration of intent to naturalize before applying for their CHL (form n300).

So:
Since I just renewed residency, it seems a waste of the $500 if I started the naturalization process now instead of waiting until what I'm essentially paid through until (expires in 2025). However, if I want my CHL before then, I have to file n300 which is ~$300 and not even a necessary prerequisite to the naturalization process. A bit torn...

I have no experience with your situation,or useful input,but I wish you the best of luck!
When you told me the story in person,it seemed to make more sense..Maybe people reading this are getting confused?

It seems to me the that the $500 is gone no matter what. The $725 is going to have to be spent sooner or later if you want naturalization, although it could be more expensive (or unobtainable) by the time 2025 rolls around. The $300 would be a waste of almost half the cost of naturalization. Just chalk it up to experience and start the naturalization process. Presumably you would have had to spend the $500 to stay here while going through the process anyway?? Not sure how long naturalization will take, but you will get your CHL and be able to vote. A nice little bonus.:) Just please vote pro-2A.

:s0159:My .02 cents...if you are "a little left leaning" and vote democrat, then you are voting for and supporting an anti 2nd amendment agenda. Look at the proposed "High" (standard) capacity mag bans and "assault" semi auto rifle registrations (house bill 1387). Left leaning and voting supports these bills. Sucks to be a 1 issue voter, but I fled California because I wasn't able to ccw, own "assault" weapons and starting next year purchase ammo online, or in store without a background check, and an ammunition purchasing card, which even if I jump through all hoops and purchase an insane amount (who needs 100, 200, 1000 rounds of ammo unless they want to mass murder the masses) I'd raise a red flag with ca doj and have men in black knocking on my door with black helicopters hovering above. But leaning left takes away these rights. Best to lean the way of freedom... THE RIGHT.:s0042:

I have no experience with your situation,or useful input,but I wish you the best of luck!
When you told me the story in person,it seemed to make more sense..Maybe people reading this are getting confused?

Probably just that it's not a process too many are familiar with? I wasn't even aware of it until I looked over the CHL paperwork before checking around for classes. Thanks for the kind wishes though, mate.

It seems to me the that the $500 is gone no matter what. The $725 is going to have to be spent sooner or later if you want naturalization, although it could be more expensive (or unobtainable) by the time 2025 rolls around. The $300 would be a waste of almost half the cost of naturalization. Just chalk it up to experience and start the naturalization process. Presumably you would have had to spend the $500 to stay here while going through the process anyway?? Not sure how long naturalization will take, but you will get your CHL and be able to vote. A nice little bonus.:) Just please vote pro-2A.

Much appreciated on the sensible advice. Yeah, had I known about Oregon's stipulations, I probably would have just started the naturalization process rather than renewing. And no - renewal is required to be started in the 6 month window leading to expiration (and I got it going right when I could) so had I opted to naturalize instead, I probably would have been fine. Kicking myself in the butt for deciding to put it off. That said, the cost will probably go up by 2025 but I definitely don't see it just going away.

And trust me: I'm most definitely pro-2A. I consider it a key pillar that props up our 1A rights. Take a look at China - technically those guys have the same freedoms to press, speech and assembly granted by their constitution.. but good luck exercising them when people are getting put away for life for purchasing toy guns.

:s0159:My .02 cents...if you are "a little left leaning" and vote democrat, then you are voting for and supporting an anti 2nd amendment agenda. Look at the proposed "High" (standard) capacity mag bans and "assault" semi auto rifle registrations (house bill 1387). Left leaning and voting supports these bills. Sucks to be a 1 issue voter, but I fled California because I wasn't able to ccw, own "assault" weapons and starting next year purchase ammo online, or in store without a background check, and an ammunition purchasing card, which even if I jump through all hoops and purchase an insane amount (who needs 100, 200, 1000 rounds of ammo unless they want to mass murder the masses) I'd raise a red flag with ca doj and have men in black knocking on my door with black helicopters hovering above. But leaning left takes away these rights. Best to lean the way of freedom... THE RIGHT.:s0042:

Oh believe me - just because I hold some more liberally minded views (lgbt/blm supporter, pro-choice, anti-laissez faire / a certain level of government oversight for businesses, sensible support for the poor/needy, etc.), doesn't mean I'm willing to compromise and allow for further infringement on our constitutional rights. It's just a crying shame that people who share those same views tend to be so anti-gun.. I have no intention of voting for anyone with any track record of being the least bit anti-2A, parties be damned. SB941 here in OR has been nothing but a nuisance and I'm in strong opposition of any further chipping away at our 2A. Guess that'd make me into a single issue voter like yourself, but what can you do, eh?

And ha - you know Comiefornia is getting bad when my pro-gun relatives up in Canada were comparing themselves favorably and joking about that state when I visited last summer.

Hello and welcome to the forum, Im not really sure what you are asking as you answered you're own question??

A greencard holder/legal perm resident residing in Oregon who wishes to apply for a CHL must demonstrate that they intend to become a US citizen (naturalization)

I belive that a noturized letter to immigration may be acceptable. (im not a lawyer so i would contact Oregon Firearms Federation as they have lawyers?)

without being a US citizen or demonstrating intent to become a citizen you cannot obtain a CHL in the state of Oregon

I belive Washington state grants CHL permits to permanant residents and im sure it differs in every state.

Again im not a lawyer I would contact a lawyer
Mostly input and to see if anyone here had gone through the process.

And yeah I was wondering this myself, but almost all OR CHL applications make reference to form n300:
Process to Obtain an Oregon CHL

Kind of stinks as I know most other states don't require this, including WA.. and OR also has no reciprocity for other state's CHLs :s0154:.

Last Edited:
Anyone in my same situation gone through this yet? How was the process?

Bit of background:
I'm a Filipino/Canadian dual citizen. Immigrated to OR when I was 9 and have lived and had permanent residency here since. Currently 26 and until a year ago, I was toying with the idea of moving up to Canada (spoiler: decided I'm sticking around). Due to the indecision, I opted to just renew my permanent residency (to the tune of ~$500) as it neared expiration rather than naturalize ($725 and a bit more of a process).

I only got into firearms about 6 months before that, but just rifle target practice at the time. Didn't get into pistols until after I renewed residency and that new interest obviously led to considering applying for my CHL. Admittedly, I'm a bit more left-leaning in my beliefs but definitely a 2nd amendment supporter. That led me to realize that here in OR, a permanent resident has to file to file a declaration of intent to naturalize before applying for their CHL (form n300).

So:
Since I just renewed residency, it seems a waste of the $500 if I started the naturalization process now instead of waiting until what I'm essentially paid through until (expires in 2025). However, if I want my CHL before then, I have to file n300 which is ~$300 and not even a necessary prerequisite to the naturalization process. A bit torn...

Only US citizens can hold a CHL in Oregon as far as I'm aware.

Only US citizens can hold a CHL in Oregon as far as I'm aware.

Then you're mistaken and must not have read past the first post? I made reference to it a couple of times. And weirdly enough from what little research I did, Oregon is one of the few states where there's a distinction made between citizens and permanent residents in regards to CHLs... Washington and plenty of other states only requires citizenship or a valid green card. No need to show intent to naturalize (which if they mean filing N300, is ~$300 and not a prerequisite to naturalization).

ORS 166.291 said:
(1)The sheriff of a county, upon a person's application for an Oregon concealed handgun license, upon receipt of the appropriate fees and after compliance with the procedures set out in this section, shall issue the person a concealed handgun license if the person:

(a)(A) Is a citizen of the United States; or

(B)Is a legal resident alien who can document continuous residency in the county for at least six months and has declared in writing to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services the intent to acquire citizenship status and can present proof of the written declaration to the sheriff at the time of application for the license;
. . . . .

I'd fit into the latter category and meet all other requirements... just a question of whether form N300 is actually necessary and whether it's worth it over just outright naturalizing in the near future. Found this page though stating:

OR-CHL.COM said:
For non-US citizens, you will need to produce evidence of your right to residence in the USA (e.g. green card), and some evidence of your intent to obtain US citizenship.

There is an immigration form (N300) specifically for this purpose. This form was originally the first stage in the citizenship application process, but is no longer required for that purpose. It continues to exist because some states have legislation requiring it. Unfortunately, the Federal government sees this form as an excuse to make money, and although the process to obtain one is easy (apart from sitting in an immigration office for many hours waiting your turn) the cost is exorbitant ($250). If you are a non-citizen, contact your local sheriff's office and ask what paperwork they require. If you have started the citizenship process, a copy of your application should be sufficient. If you have to get a "Declaration of intent to become a US citizen", it is a form which is meaningless to the Federal government, does not begin the citizen application process, and does not commit you to becoming a US citizen. If you are not a US citizen, the law requires that you be resident in the county where you make your application for at least 6 months. You need some way to document this. Suitable documentation might be rent receipts, electricity bills etc. These would need to be in your name of course.

Last Edited:
Kumasta Kuya "SOLID_arity".

As you must be aware by now, whenever you submit a CIS/DHS form for permanent residency, Naturalization etc., you receive an official notification /acknowledgement form in the mail (the form that says United States of America on the top)

A copy of that receipt for the N-300/400 app., I believe is all that you will need. To confirm this, you could call the Sheriff's office in your County of residence, (CHL office) to confirm if a simple copy is all that you need. In processing, they should be able to confirm it's validity.
You might also want to do some research if you intend dual (tri ?) citizenship in the future. This could further complicate the process, especially in the Duterte era.

Gud lak sa 'yo

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews