JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Actually been thinking about suppresed weapons alot. If you only go with one caliber and you want true suppressed quiet then the bullet has to be under 1000fps to get there. So if you suppress a 223 and need it quiet then the 55 grain 22 cal bullet doesn't have much energy when it hits the target.

A 150 grain 30 cal at under 1000 is getting better but how about a 44 cal 300 grain bullet? That is alot of power when hitting an animal at reasonable range.

jj

Actually been thinking about suppresed weapons alot. If you only go with one caliber and you want true suppressed quiet then the bullet has to be under 1000fps to get there. So if you suppress a 223 and need it quiet then the 55 grain 22 cal bullet doesn't have much energy when it hits the target.

A 150 grain 30 cal at under 1000 is getting better but how about a 44 cal 300 grain bullet? That is alot of power when hitting an animal at reasonable range.

jj

Here is video of a buddy shooting my .44 Magnum Ruger 77/44 bolt action.

That is a 300 grain bullet, just under 980fps.

I own one of those and have been working with it and my range finder. I find the bullet drop requires know the range you are shooting as the drop from 50 to 100 is nine inches. Like I said I am in pursuit of the perfect set up. My original post was to find out what others are doing and get more ideas. Tom suppressed mine

jj

I own one of those and have been working with it and my range finder. I find the bullet drop requires know the range you are shooting as the drop from 50 to 100 is nine inches. Like I said I am in pursuit of the perfect set up. My original post was to find out what others are doing and get more ideas. Tom suppressed mine

jj

Mine also. Tom Denall is a buddy. He is doing another one for me.

Do you think centerfire rifles suppressed would be effective given your criteria?
They aren't Hollywood Quiet as you know, so the shot will probably still be heard.
Sub-sonic ammo isn't something you will be picking up scavenging.

A .22lr suppressed would probably be a better option for keeping "below the radar"

If SHTF this instant, I would grab my Mini-14 and my Ruger MarkIII with Tac-Sol upper and Warlock suppressor if I had to run out the door for the woods.
I keep the Ruger/Warlock in my GHB already.

I have been working with an "entry" suppressor for a 223 that just brings the decibels down to non hearing damaging indoors. I had a 10-22 threaded and bought some subsonic 22 lr but haven't worked on the 10-22 as much as my AR. You can hear the AR but the blast is gone.

On the 10-22 with highspeed ammo there is stil a crack so I am still getting ready to do the work on sub sonic 22s. Doubt there will be much power there and maybe I would be better with a bow and arrow, if I could use one:s0112::s0112:

It's going to take the earth moving to drive me from my home and I will DRH defending it. I have what I need at this moment to defend my home but quietly feeding my family has been the question. I could potshot some ducks very quietly from the local pond with a suppresed 22lr and nobody would hear a thing. Feathers may be a give away:s0112::s0112::s0131:

jj

On the other hand, we have warts, lol. How about the sound of gunfire driving people away rather than attracting them? If you're hiding in the woods, I get it, But traveling to a destination I don't, and bugging in, does it matter?

Just wondering...

.223 AR with supressor, and Glock 21 .45.

But a little .22 target pistol, with a supressor, would be a good scavenging gun.

Can you pick 3, to take with you???

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads