JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Shtf set up you think is perfect as far as weapons go.

Right now I am leaning toward an AR with a suppresor for rifle and a Glock 17 for a handgun but there are alot of choices out there. What direction are you leaning?

I thought about a FN P90 and the handgun in the same calibur. Small and lite in weight and you could carry a heck of alot of ammo.

Also thought about a suppresed bolt gun.

jj

This depends a lot on what kind of shtf scenario we are talking about. If i'm on foot, and the streets aren't an all out battle zone, i would probably take the .22 pistol and my sidearm and save room and weight for food and water. If i was in a vehicle on the other hand, or a hostile environment, i would take my cetme with the pistols and anything else that looks handy. I don't think i would want to pack the cetme with ammo and a full pack for very far though. A pistol caliber carbine is a good idea, but if i'm carrying a rifle, i would want something useful at longer ranges.

I keep enough fuel on hand to get a car to my parents farm in Stayton, but if i'm forced to walk, i won't want to carry a heavy rifle. Obviously there isn't any one perfect weapon, but surviving on foot for an extended amount of time would be very difficult regardless of your weapon choice. I suppose a small group would give you the best odds, and you could carry a variety of weapons that way.

In the unlikely event that my incredible charm and impossible good looks aren't enough on their own...

Being new to shooting, I only have my years of casual zombie planning to go on.
I've thought that matching calbers for rifle and sidearms is a good idea - since I don't want to carry different types of ammo. I think I like 9mm for that - but I'm not sure.
One or a pair of 9mm sidearms along with a rifle like the Beretta Storm chambered in 9mm sounds like adequate firepower with only one type of ammo to stock and carry. Of course, I waffle on whether swapping one of the 9mm sidearms for a suppressed .22lr sidearm is a good idea, since surely some back-pocket stealth will be a good idea from time to time.

Unfortunately, since I'm still new (and haven't even fired a Storm), I don't know how viable the 9mm round is. Is it versatile enough to drop a deer at a distance with a small carbine?

In the unlikely event that my incredible charm and impossible good looks aren't enough on their own...

Being new to shooting, I only have my years of casual zombie planning to go on.
I've thought that matching calbers for rifle and sidearms is a good idea - since I don't want to carry different types of ammo. I think I like 9mm for that - but I'm not sure.
One or a pair of 9mm sidearms along with a rifle like the Beretta Storm chambered in 9mm sounds like adequate firepower with only one type of ammo to stock and carry. Of course, I waffle on whether swapping one of the 9mm sidearms for a suppressed .22lr sidearm is a good idea, since surely some back-pocket stealth will be a good idea from time to time.

Unfortunately, since I'm still new (and haven't even fired a Storm), I don't know how viable the 9mm round is. Is it versatile enough to drop a deer at a distance with a small carbine?

Certainly not. you'll want a more substantial round with more force behind it such as the 338 or the 30.06 .

even the 7.62 could drop a deer if placed right.

Today I am thinking a Ruger 10-22 with a suppressor and subsonic ammo may do me as a long arm and a Glock 17 for a handgun. The combinations that would be effective not just for defense but for harvesting game quietly are out there. I have an associate that has a couple of 308s, one bolt and one AR. He has both gun barrels made to accept a suppressor. A suppressed 308 just might be the best yet? Being able to take game at a distance is a plus if it can be done quietly.

jj

Rather than spending more and more money on getting the perfect weapon, I think it prudent to consolidate into 2 calibers maybe, practice like your life depends on it, and have money on hand, plus durable goods for long term.

Rather than spending more and more money on getting the perfect weapon, I think it prudent to consolidate into 2 calibers maybe, practice like your life depends on it, and have money on hand, plus durable goods for long term.

Tactics and tools may give a man the edge:D Being able to perform with many weapons may make a difference too. Limiting yourself to learning few tools in preperation for a SHTF then what happens when your tools no longer are available?

Hope it all works out for you.

jj

Why limit yourself to a single caliber? In a SHTF scenario it could be very beneficial to have the capability to fire more than one caliber.........especially if in a situation where you're displaced & on foot. You'll only be able to carry X-amount of ammo and then limited to what you can scrounge...The odds procuring something you can use certainly decreases if you're equipped to only fire one caliber....my $0.02

If I am out walking, I think a Glenfield Model 60 .22 would be good.
More reliable than a 10/22.

Glock 17 would be good for a handgun.

I would want to be running away from confrontation, so I am thinking the .22 would be used for food harvesting.

If I was Superman and could carry heavy guns and ammo, I would stick with the Glock and have a G3 or other semi-auto .308. (M14) Not so good for squirrel food, and deer will probably be scarce, so the big gun may not be a good idea.

500 rounds of .22lr is pretty light.

My FS2000 - with AWC Raider Suppressor
My SR-22 - with SilencerCO Suppressor
My HK USP .40

FS2000 for long range or close quarters.
SR-22 for dogs, small game, lights.
HK USP .40 for close combat backup, and/or last shot.

two auto pistols 45 & 22
one twelve gauge pump or double barrel

45 for two legged predators
22 for small game
12 gauge for everything else

no suppressors if needed use soda/water bottle save the space and weight for food & ammo

Chooseing a setup means you have thought shtf out and have tactics in mind. Myself I am chooseing something to feed my family with first and defense is secondary. Be able to quietly take a bird or animal to feed your family in my mind is really important.

jj

Chooseing a setup means you have thought shtf out and have tactics in mind. Myself I am chooseing something to feed my family with first and defense is secondary. Be able to quietly take a bird or animal to feed your family in my mind is really important.

jj

So true JJ. And being that we have a family it is easier to arm them with other guns that will make the mission (hunting for food and/or protection) safer, because a pack of wolves is far more dangerous then just a lone wolf ;)

wg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top