JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Boston bomber is shot full of 9mm police slugs, he even tried to shoot himself with one, he's still alive. I read where a pitbull had a 3 year old by the leg and the officer shot it with a full mag to no affect. In a similar situation a dog was shot with a 357 his guts were strewn back 15 or 20 feet.

Yeah, I've seen gate video of a guy filled full of 9mm just keep coming, so he could blow himself up in closer proximity to the gate.

The FMJ restriction for the military is one of the largest problem with that cartridge.

Law enforcement get to have the hollow points which, I agree, slow bad guys down much faster.

The Boston bomber is shot full of 9mm police slugs, he even tried to shoot himself with one, he's still alive. I read where a pitbull had a 3 year old by the leg and the officer shot it with a full mag to no affect. In a similar situation a dog was shot with a 357 his guts were strewn back 15 or 20 feet.

There are examples of every handgun round, including .45 and .357, requiring multiple quality hits to stop a threat. There are also stories of single hits from .22lr or .380 ending encounters.

The bottom line is that handguns suck. I'm primarily a pistol guy, but the simple truth is that it usually requires multiple hits.

Uh oh. I carry a Ruger LCP, it's undersized, easily fits into a pocket, lightweight, and doesn't pack much of a punch. I've been telling my wife it's just as good as a 9mm for years:rolleyes:

Yeah, okay. Ask any of the guys I fought with. Dead enemies are the best enemies. Plus the types of people we fight now dont give two bubblegums about a fallen comrade.

They are not soldiers, they are dirty goat herders.

There's a full version out now. The additional video is pretty funny. The shot placement bit is good. Looking forward to the 45 ACP video.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's my understanding that FMJ is militarys first choice is because an injured solider is more of an hindrance than a dead one.

No, it's their ONLY choice under the geneva convention to "minimize" inflicting undue misery on the soldiers. After WWI due to some of the "practices" of both sides, like notching saw-teeth into bayonettes so you could pull out an adversary's guts with the blade withdrawl, etc. "Legally" .50BMG can only be used on equipment and vehicles... the "loophole" is load bearing equipment, weapons, body armor, and uniforms can be called "equipment"...

As for the OP... shot placement, shot placement, SHOT PLACEMENT!!

Also, someone posted earlier they had a Walther PP in ".308".....

GTFO Desert Eagle .50AE !!! :cool: (yes, I know he meant .380... LOL)

For the VAST majority of defensive shootings, .380 will do you fine. 9mm Is also just fine.

As citizens it's our job to stay alive.

A Police Officer's job is a lot more complex. Instead of looking at the maniac on PCP and doing like the rest of us and running like Hell, He's got to deal with it.

For every instance of someone shot with 9mm and not stopping, I can show you a similar instance of .45 or .40 doing the same thing. These are the WILD exceptions, not the rule. You don't (I would wish anyway) make laws based on the exceptions, nor, I think, should you make rules of self-defense based on the exceptions.

Two solid rounds to the thoracic cavity with any round capable of penetrating 4" or more and expanding to create a large wound cavity should so the job in almost all situations. For those incredibly rare occasions when they don't, this is why we train with the FAILURE DRILL. Which is a placed shot to the ocular cavity. It's a nasty head-shot virtually guaranteed to kill unless you miss. -Don't miss.

As always, placement is king. I don't care if you're shooting with a .50 Beowulf, a shot to the arm or extremis of torso isn't a stopping shot.

If you can't hit the proper spot, you need more practice. NYPD MISSES 86% of their shots according to Rory Miller. If you're shooting that crappy, Yes, you'll have problems. That has nothing to do with the caliber and everything to do with your crappy marksmanship.

Glock 19 with Speer 124gr +P Gold Dot ammo

For all his reasons
Cheap (or was)
Accurate
Reliable

Ruger LCP .380 90gr Gold Dot ammo as back up or when I can't carry the 9

As said before shot placement is the Key thing...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top