JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One would expect people who live where it snows every winter to have some idea how to drive in inclement weather, but noooo. We lived in Westwood, CA (which was at the time the hippie ghetto of the Sierras) involving a drive of about 20 mi into Susanville every week day. After every snowfall there would be several vehicles off of the road in the ditch, proving that people who live where it snows don't necessarily know how to drive in it any better than people who never see snow.

One would expect people who live where it snows every winter to have some idea how to drive in inclement weather, but noooo. We lived in Westwood, CA (which was at the time the hippie ghetto of the Sierras) involving a drive of about 20 mi into Susanville every week day. After every snowfall there would be several vehicles off of the road in the ditch, proving that people who live where it snows don't necessarily know how to drive in it any better than people who never see snow.
You are correct. Raised in Northern Nevada. Every year, every single year, snow and ice, for months at a time. Every year, every single year, cars all over the place.

I find the most interesting aspect of all of this, the attitude towards driving in the snow. Before COVID, folks would drive in any condition to get to work. Now, the tiniest adversity allows folks to simply not go to work. If the employer does something against the person for not risking it, they are publicly shamed for it. Too much liability now to "expect" employees to come to work. Or anywhere for that matter. So now, folks just don't drive in inclement weather, never learn how to, and therefore the amount of folks that know how to declines each year.

You are correct. Raised in Northern Nevada. Every year, every single year, snow and ice, for months at a time. Every year, every single year, cars all over the place.

I find the most interesting aspect of all of this, the attitude towards driving in the snow. Before COVID, folks would drive in any condition to get to work. Now, the tiniest adversity allows folks to simply not go to work. If the employer does something against the person for not risking it, they are publicly shamed for it. Too much liability now to "expect" employees to come to work. Or anywhere for that matter. So now, folks just don't drive in inclement weather, never learn how to, and therefore the amount of folks that know how to declines each year.
Boy you are right there! Wifey deals with this every GD day! Even her new store director didn't make it to work yesterday. Buut, he lives in McMinnville, so there's that. :D People that live 40 blocks away called in. Like 5 of them.

Boy you are right there! Wifey deals with this every GD day! Even her new store director didn't make it to work yesterday. Buut, he lives in McMinnville, so there's that. :D People that live 40 blocks away called in. Like 5 of them.
We went to Costco the first day after the big dumping of snow, and we were very surprised to see it (apparently) fully staffed. Costco must be doing something right, because many places are closed because people aren't showing up.

I take great pride in getting to work under the most adverse conditions, until I realize I'm the only one there and need to do the work of 4 people that day!

Going back to trucks vs. cars in the snow....
In addition to my "shopping cart" I also have a Q60 AWD with Continental DWS06 (snow-rated) tires. The car does great in the snow until it gets iced-over, wheels get full of out-of-balance snow/ice, air dam gets 3" of ice, and the air intakes get clogged (although I cleaned the front grill prior to picture, couldn't get the ice off of the front lip without risking damage).
The wheel wells were so packed with ice that I risked ripping out the wheel liners had I kept driving it.

That's why I prefer my truck (also on snow-rated tires), none of that build-up affects the truck, it just shrugs it all off...
IMG_20211228_145831012_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211228_145817111_HDR.jpg

I have always maintained.....
The most dangerous thing in the world isn't a gun, nor a bomb or a virus.
The most dangerous thing is a vagina, especially one on "bennies".

The world would be much safer if they were registered and regulated.
Ooooo.
I'll just wait with you to see if you get any bites. Hope you got heavy enough tackle.
:s0131:

I've rather enjoyed some of the white knuckle driving out on the open road over the years. EXHILARATING!

Utah used to stop salting at Brigham City to the North. Getting up tp Twin Falls in on off blizzard conditions! Going the other way too. Baker to LA Grande. Following twin snow plows from just east of PDX up to Mayer state park Park area. Cars and big rigs strewn about.

But driving around potland in the snow, with the people that live here these days? Too dangerous.

Have you tried using a blow dryer? Just a suggestion.

ETA: Works pretty well on frozen door locks.
I think you're trying to trick me into electrocuting myself:s0012:

The Q60 also has frameless windows that partially lower when you open the door, and that freezes up and makes the worst crunching-expensive-stuff-trying-to-break sound.....

Just better to leave it in the driveway for now....

I've rather enjoyed some of the white knuckle driving out on the open road over the years. EXHILARATING!

Utah used to stop salting at Brigham City to the North. Getting up tp Twin Falls in on off blizzard conditions! Going the other way too. Baker to LA Grande. Following twin snow plows from just east of PDX up to Mayer state park Park area. Cars and big rigs strewn about.

But driving around potland in the snow, with the people that live here these days? Too dangerous.
Try Colorado!
We live up near Divide, (that's 8600 feet up) but the Ranch is at 9400, snow is always gonna come, usually in feet, sometimes, all at once! We're all pretty self sufficient up there, everyone knows what to do, so it's never an issue! The main roads get plowed folks put chains on, and we all go about our lives like it's a normal 8 months out of the year deal, including the 300 days of sun shine we also get! It's when the flat landers come up the passes that we have troubles, even from Colorado Springs ( it snows a lot there too) or Denver, they all wanna go skiing over on the west side, Breckenridge, Vale, or Steam Boat, or ultra high end, Aspen, but they all come up the pass and through Divide and make a mess of it! I was just down there before Christmas dealing with sever wind damage ( winds got up over 100 MPH at our ranch) and we already had several inches of snowfall, made the highways kinda dicey, but there were no flatlanders, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been!

Went to Canon Beach and back Tuesday. Road was snow packed surface from MP34 to MP8. The Falkens did much better than expected.
I don't have patience to drive 20mph behind an unchained Accord that has no business being out in those conditions. Passed the whole line of 20 cars and had 26 to myself the rest of the way.
Coming back? *Bad* Ice above David Douglas, and again from Salmonberry Road down to Wolf Creek.
I'll regularly test my traction, and adjusted speed accordingly.

20211228_131406.jpg

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR